So, what's next?

I don’t know what the etiquette here is, but I was hoping to get some of your thoughts.

I’ve only posted here a few times before, but to make a long story short, like, I imagine a lot of people, I had a rough time going through college the first time. A few years ago, I decided to go back and try this non-traditional/old-pre-m ed thing. I hate tooting my own horn, but in pursuing my second degree, I feel like I kind of kicked ass at it. I got my MCAT scores yesterday (28M), and I guess because I’m glutton for punishment, I put a “what are my chances post” on StudentDoctor.Net.

I felt like the advise that I was given was somewhere between “Give up” and “resign yourself the going to a Caribbean school” (which isn’t an option for me) and so I’m left feeling a little rudderless. Are they right? Do I just give up?

1st - SDN is for people with 35+ to ask “what are my chances” - so that they can boost their ego and so that they can then tell everybody else to “just give up.”

2nd - 28M is not the end of the world.

If you take a look at the AAMC Grid

https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/ table24-…

Depending on your GPA, you’ll have a good chance of getting in.

I also just put together a post based on another forum topic here. You can find it here

Thank you. I really, really needed to hear that.

My concern is less to do with my MCATs and more with my GPA. I know I can’t escape my GPA from my first degree, but I also worked incredibly hard for my second degree, and I hope it just doesn’t some down only to the numbers.

Here is the post I made to discuss the same thing with another user - same situation.

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

Bottom Line - Separate out your old GPA and your new GPA and try to get that message to the admission committees.

I work with a faculty member of the local medical school and asked him the same thing you’re asking…

I was told that the admissions committee looks at everything, work experience, GPA, MCAT scores, everything. Also, it is important to get to know your advisors, not butter up but ask good questions. These are the people that will recommend us to the admissions committee.

This was great info coming from the faculty member of the med school and eventually the residency I want to partake in (Emergency). I hope this helps you too!!

When you say “advisers” are you talking Pre-Med?

You’re fine. Not sure for allopathic schools but I do know for osteopathic schools, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, you have nothing to worry about.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT,

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, VISIT SDN premed forums!!!

If you want a great dose of FUD then by all means go there. However OPM’s should stick to here and only visit SDN’s residency forums. It’s just not worth it. Trust me, I’ve been more discouraged from visiting SDN than anything anyone else says. Frustrating that a group of 22 y/o with ZERO clue about what it takes to get into school spew such nonsense and then we are the bigger morons for listening. So stay away from the premed forums and you’ll keep your sanity. I mean, seriously…how many

• In reply to:
I have a 3.9/44 MCAT....will my 1 "B" in Advanced Immunology of the Fruitfly kill my dreams of being an altruistic dermatologist????? Should I retake the MCAT?????

conversations do we really need to waste time on?
  • croooz Said:
You're fine. Not sure for allopathic schools but I do know for osteopathic schools, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, you have nothing to worry about.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, VISIT SDN premed forums!!!!

If you want a great dose of FUD then by all means go there. However OPM's should stick to here and only visit SDN's residency forums. It's just not worth it. Trust me, I've been more discouraged from visiting SDN than anything anyone else says. Frustrating that a group of 22 y/o with ZERO clue about what it takes to get into school spew such nonsense and then we are the bigger morons for listening. So stay away from the premed forums and you'll keep your sanity. I mean, seriously...how many

• In reply to:
I have a 3.9/44 MCAT....will my 1 "B" in Advanced Immunology of the Fruitfly kill my dreams of being an altruistic dermatologist????? Should I retake the MCAT?????

conversations do we really need to waste time on?

hahahahaha - AMEN.

I agree with the statement about SDN!!! I don’t know where these people come from but my goodness, talk about FUD ~ I’m tired of the crab bucket!! I’ve found that’s not a very supportive network.

As for advisors, both pre-med advisors and those that have any “say-so” towards getting into med school, writing recommendation letters, anything that’ll jetison one towards that direction.

In addition, since I want Emergency Medicine (I’m an ED nurse already and barring any love for OB-GYN, that’s my directional beacon), the physician I work with in the ED is also on the faculty at the med school in the town I live/work in. He’s the one to recommend me to the ED residency program. So when I explain history of the pt and my recommendations to the physician, those are the questions/thought processes I believe he’s looking for.

I hope that makes sense

• croooz Said:

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, VISIT SDN premed forums!!!!

...so just to be clear you're saying I should visit SDN forums for all things premed, right???

So I think I’ve learned my lesson about not going to SDN again.

Keep going. I am just starting this journey, but it is not my first time trying for a competitive program and being “non-traditional.”

I was accepted into a very competitive military program some time ago doing exactly what Doc Gray said. The majority of slots for this program were given to prior enlisted candidates - not people off the street. I called, expressed interest, asked for advice, followed up and kept in regular (but not pushy) contact. After getting selected, I was told that it was my attitude that primarily made their decision to pick me. Enthusiasm and follow through go a long way)!

I try to think about it this way. I have PLENTY of friends from undergrad with steller grades that cannot get into med school. I’ve also read posts on here about non-trads that are accepted with not-so-great overall GPAs. There is so much more to this than just a number.

I know a 4.0/45 premed. His stats were amazazazing!..ON PAPER. In person he even looked down on himself. This poor young man was so full of himself. He applied to a dozen schools and all “top tier” with the only exception being his state school. He was granted interviews to every school. This guy was even granted interviews to schools that he didn’t apply to. He was accepted to ONE school, his state school and that was off the waitlist. He was African-American. I say that because some people believe it is all about stats or demographics or a combination. Stats open more doors but your attitude determines whether the door gets shut in your face or you’re invited to stay.

I also know someone with a 3.75/22 MCAT get accepted to two schools. He had two connections and those were the ones who got him the interview. The phrase was I know his stats aren’t the best BUT just wait until you meet him. He receives his first acceptance within the week of having interviewed. They told him that they would’ve given him the letter on the spot. He was African-American as well but a completely different outlook. He did not believe he was entitled and therefore didn’t come across that way.

So it is ALL attitude. Get the stats but the interview is what matters and the interview matters because all they want answered is Do I like this person enough to give them a seat at the table?

• Julio Cesar Said:
  • croooz Said:

...so just to be clear you're saying I should visit SDN forums for all things premed, right???

Keep it up buster.

El diablo sabe mas por ser viejo que por ser diablo...y yo soy un diablo viejo.

I worry about not having connections. But I guess I start looking for admissions officers and sending some e-mails. I just hope that doesn’t hurt me.

Also, to everyone here, especially to Doc Gray, thank you for being the complete opposite of SDN.

Love the stories croooz!!

You’re soooooo right ~ it is all about attitude. I knew some nurses while I was in nursing school that, on paper, had the 3.8 GPA yet I’d leave the hospital if they were my nurse, and so would you

We can ALL learn about the meds we give or the conditions the pt has but what cannot be learned is how to be a real person to our pt’s.

• Doc Gray Said:

https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/ table24-...

Look at that grid. Look at it for both your second degree GPA, and your "average" GPA. And then look this picture and adopt 1 of 2 mentalities that will give you endless success:

• Doc Gray Said:

Here's what I want to know. There was 1 acceptance with a 1.47-1.99 GPA and a 24-26 MCAT. How does THAT happen? That person must have one HELL of a personality!
  • CaptainObvious Said:
  • Doc Gray Said:

Here's what I want to know. There was 1 acceptance with a 1.47-1.99 GPA and a 24-26 MCAT. How does THAT happen? That person must have one HELL of a personality!

There's a story behind everything.

My biggest point that I'm trying to tell everybody is to get YOUR story heard.