Some Advice About My Gameplan

So, I’m trying to revise my gameplan based off of a lot of input from all of you, and especially some from Mary Renard. I was wondering if I could get a little more guidance about my revisions.

Originally, I intended on pursuing a AS in Nursing, and continuing with a BS in Nursing. Then, I would take care of my pre-reqs post grad. Mary suggested I not follow this course of action, as adcoms don’t seem to like the idea of someone with extensive training in the nursing field just hopping over to medical school. I decided to fall back on my original plan of pursuing a BS in Bioolgy (or Micro), but first getting an AS in Nursing because I need the money.

I think Bio would give me the exposure to hard science to knock out my pre-reqs and give me a solid back bone for medical school. I also think that nursing would allow me enough schedule flexibility to go for my BS in Bio part time at the least (3 12 hour days, possibly).

Any suggestions or criticizms of this plan are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

• medeirosaurus Said:
So, I'm trying to revise my gameplan based off of a lot of input from all of you, and especially some from Mary Renard. I was wondering if I could get a little more guidance about my revisions.

Originally, I intended on pursuing a AS in Nursing, and continuing with a BS in Nursing. Then, I would take care of my pre-reqs post grad. Mary suggested I not follow this course of action, as adcoms don't seem to like the idea of someone with extensive training in the nursing field just hopping over to medical school. I decided to fall back on my original plan of pursuing a BS in Bioolgy (or Micro), but first getting an AS in Nursing because I need the money.

I think Bio would give me the exposure to hard science to knock out my pre-reqs and give me a solid back bone for medical school. I also think that nursing would allow me enough schedule flexibility to go for my BS in Bio part time at the least (3 12 hour days, possibly).

Any suggestions or criticizms of this plan are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Only thing I can think of is if you get an A.S. in Nursing and work as an RN just as a placeholder until you apply to medical school, it's going to be interpreted the same as a B.S. in Nursing...either way they're going to interpret it as you taking the spot from someone who really did want to be a nurse, and if they accept you, they're further contributing to the nursing shortage...regardless of the initials in front of the degree, it's still a nursing degree.

I think nursing couls be a good way to go as far as letting you see more of what the healthcare field is really like. I have also heard that adcoms dont like the switch but I think it is more they dont want people to think of nursing as a steping stone to getting into Med school.