Some recommendations I read in another forum

Hey everyone,
I wanted to ask what you guys thought of some recommended courses to prepare for the MCAT I found on another site (medschoolchat.com). “Animal Phys. I and II, Biochem, Embryology, Endocrinology, Neuroanatomy & Neurophysiology”. There was even talk about taking “Bioinformatics (introduction, etc) & The Human Genome Project”.
That made me extremely anxious after reading. I noticed in other sites the same kind of discussion. Has anyone here taken or getting ready to take these advanced courses? I know that once you complete the basic sciences you should backup your experience with a couple of advanced, but that many?
What do you think?

good grief that is ridiculous. Your “basic” upper level courses, e.g. biochem, genetics, physiology, microbiology, cell biology (if that’s not part of your general bio sequence) – sure, any/all of those make sense. This is a classic example of the kind of gunner one-upmanship you see on pre-med sites. There are any number of fine undergraduate institutions where you couldn’t even GET those courses, get real!
Don’t worry about it. There are three reasons to take courses: 1, they’re required (the prerequisites), 2, they intrigue you and you want to know more. (these are the two best reasons) 3, you need more good grades in science courses to counteract bad old grades - in other words, it’s not a matter of piling on the impressive grades, it’s serious damage control for grades past.
I personally believe that “impressing the AdCom” or “buffing the application” (or whatever you want to call it, you get my drift) is a VERY poor reason to take a class. You can’t possibly be as motivated/energized by such a reason, and it’ll be, at best, drudgery, and at worst, pure torture.
One other thing - a lot of those courses are the type that no one but biology majors would take. And yet it is not JUST biology majors who get into med school - far from it. In fact philosophy, music, and foreign language majors have better acceptance rates!
Once again I say, where is the roly-eye smiley when you really need it?

I agree with Mary - the “basic” upper division classes sure if you have the time and inclination like biochem, genetics, physiology (or A&P), cell bio, microbio. The other ones you mentioned are only things bio majors would take or those looking to possibly fall back on PA school (ie. animal physio or human physio is usually a requirement for PA school). Heck I am a bio major and I’m not taking any of those classes other than biochem and research methods (bioinformatics). I’ve taken (or actually am taking) genetics but an entire class on the Human Genome Project alone?? I’d go nuts lol…too many details. Although if we had a neuro course I might have considered it simply cuz the brain interests me .
I get to completely avoid all of the animal/ecology courses since they happened to include our two biomechanics courses in that category (don’t ask me why lol - I just thanked whatever gods decided it hehe).
If I were to suggest a couple upper division courses before the mcat they would probably be biochem, genetics, and a physio or A&P course…as I understand it (and i’m still several years away from tackling the beast myself) these are the courses that have the most material on the mcat other than the “core” and these are the 3 that there seems to be a general consensus on from other sites/discussions I’ve participated in.
–Jessica, UCCS

You do not need anything beyond the basics but if you have time and feel inclined to take more then biochem, and a human physiology class would be nice. I took A&P and it was a lot of anatomy and some physiology (not as much as I would have liked) so human physiology would be best. But you do not have to have any of the extras to do well on the MCAT so do not get concerned that you will be at some disadvantage of you do not take those courses.

My Ugrad degree, the 2nd one, is in Neuroscience - believe me, I had had neuroanatomy, neurophys, neuropharm, embryo & develop of neuro before the MCAT --> no advantage what so ever…although they were quite useful in med school.

Be wary of your sources of advice, esp in on-line pre-med forums - here included! The difference is being a critical thinker or simply a “follow the heard” mentality. Do not take everything/anything you’re told simply at face value. Even the most knowledgable & well-intentioned sources can be incorrect.

So, educate yourself & use that knowledge-base to filter through all advice to sort the wheat from the chaf.

I say this every time someone posts this question–probably we should make a new FAQ for this one–but

a) I took immunology and found it very useful since immune processes are part of many diseases (either in healing or aggravating the problem)

but more to the point

b) I took it because I thought the immune system was really beautiful

and

c) it is

and

d) I think you should take classes in subjects you think are beautiful, because life is short.

best regards

Joe

Hi,
I found Physiology to be a huge help to me on the MCAT. I would highly recommend taking for the MCAT
I also took genetics, microbiolgy and cellular molecular biology before the MCAT in addition to my basic sciences, but only because I wanted to take them for my major. I did have one genetics question and 2 microbiology questions. And there was a number of questions I used the cell bio to answer.
It is nice to be able to get into some advanced science course to show adcoms you can hanle them but I have known plenty of post grads that got in only with the required courses and maybe 1 upper level course.
I took other upper level courses such as embryology, biochem, bacteriology but they were to fullfill my major and were taken after the MCAT.

I am no expert or anything but I took Human Physiology last semester and omg I loved that class and learned SO MUCH! It was a lot of hard work and my professor helped Marieb write her book and he was fantastic and so enjoyable.
That has been one of my favorite classes so far to date, it’s so fascinating to learn how our bodies work from neurons to blood clotting to sensory tracks, 20 steps of a muscle contraction etc
I took the class because I just wanted to and I think enjoying the subject really helps. But I am pleased to find it it will help me on the MCAT
MamaMD

Quote:

I say this every time someone posts this question–probably we should make a new FAQ for this one–but
a) I took immunology and found it very useful since immune processes are part of many diseases (either in healing or aggravating the problem)
but more to the point
b) I took it because I thought the immune system was really beautiful
and
c) it is
and
d) I think you should take classes in subjects you think are beautiful, because life is short.
best regards
Joe

Joe abosolutely has the best advice! Life is short…do what is beautiful (to you) and makes you happy.
Cheers,
Judy

That’s ridiculous. I’d say the following are mandatory:
General Chemistry I & II
General Biology I & II
Organic Chemistry I & II
Physics I & II
(all with labs)
These would be helpful: Biochemistry, Physiology, Genetics
You aren’t going to find anything that’s really esoteric on the test. Some questions may seem that way, but the basic science should be covered in the above courses.
The only area in which I felt the test went past the basic sciences covered in the “general I&II” courses was in biology, and if you had genetics, phys, and biochem that should have covered it.

As my Biology II, I took the second half of A&P II, which was everything except musculoskeletal and nervous systems. I thought this was very helpful for the MCAT. All of the genetics I needed had been covered in my Bio I class. I think if I had taken an actual genetics class I may have read to much into those basic questions. The same goes for biochem and orgo. However, I took the MCAT in 2001 and I don’t know how much it’s changed since then. Also, it had been nine years since I had taken physics and Kaplan’s review was all that I did for that part.
My two cents is to stick to the basic requirements and do lots of practice questions. The few “outside of the basics” topics will stand out as you see them repeated.
Good luck,
Tara

I agree with just about everything that everyone is saying…
Most of the classes I have taken so far are required… but there were some “required electives” that I chose to take…
Embryology: because it’s really cool and super detailed and has also helped me understand a lot…
and
Physiology: the professor was a drag, but I have learned a lot and I know it’s going to help me on the MCAT.
I am required to take genetics and biochem and microbiology… but I probably would have taken micro for sure by choice, because it’s really cool.
I agree with Joe…
and might I add… as hard as it may be… NEVER compare yourself to anybody else… what some person somewhere in the ether is doing… or accomplishing is not you… you don’t know the story of their life, nor do they know yours. we are all our own unique individuals with our own unique talents to bring to the table.
ok, that’s all!
back to studying!
Andrea