Southerners? Conference?

Hi, whats the chances of the Old Premeds Conference being in Like lets say Atlanta or Tampa? Those are two good Ole Southern spots, Maybe Savannah Ga?

I’ll be in Ga next year and I don’t see where the 2008 spot has been picked yet.

I thought south was south of the Mason-Dixie line? So if it is then technically the conferences have been in the south.

I don’t think the conferences should move from the DC area, well at least not to the “real” south. Too many places haven’t gotten the news about the outcome of the civil war.

Just jokes, I mean no harm.

discussions about the 2008 conference haven’t gotten going yet… in the past when we’ve talked about lists of possible places, Atlanta certainly has been mentioned. However, we’re very much driven by demographics and when we’ve surveyed the folks on the board, there are a couple of relatively dense clusters of folks in the mid-Atlantic and the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, and many fewer folk in other areas. From a financial point of view, OPM took a severe beating with the poorly-attended Denver conference in 2004 and so we are going to be cautious bean-counting weenies when it comes to picking convention sites.

Mary

Hey I understand Just that I’m a poor bean counting medstudent LOL

No offense taken - I interpretted them in the spirit in which they were intended - funny!

Regarding conference locales - as Dr. Renard mentioned - OPM took it on the chin in 2004. The lesson we learned was that OPM conference attendance was primarily drawn from “locals” - those in the metro-area or within a short drive. Yes, we do have some long-distance drawing power, as is evidenced by folks coming from places like Seattle, SoCal, Switzerland, Carib & England; however, our conference are not yet capable of drawing folks into an area de novo.

So, until we do earn such credibility, we will continue to select our host-cities via rational demographics - where are our peeps live. Another major factor is the costs of securing a venue, availability of reasonable accommodations & how much local travel folks will have to endure. We also strive to select places that will have a large selection of family-friendly entertainment venues for folks who wish to make our conferences into a family-styled event.

We are just now beginning to bat around city ideas for 2008. So, if you wish to make suggestions, please feel free to PM them to Jeff Peterson or myself. We co-Chair the Conf Planning Committee.

• croooz Said:
I thought south was south of the Mason-Dixie line? So if it is then technically the conferences have been in the south.

I don't think the conferences should move from the DC area, well at least not to the "real" south. Too many places haven't gotten the news about the outcome of the civil war.

Just jokes, I mean no harm.