Specialties Personality Profile

I remember there being a listing here a while back for a site where you take a medical specialty profile test. It was a similar thing to that based on Dr. Pelly's site, but not based directly on Myer's Briggs personality profile. Does any one recall it or have the URL?
Steve

was it this one? Med Specialty Test

How about this one?
http://www.gesher.org/Myers-Briggs/MBTI%20…0specialty.html
Oops - you said NOT Myers-Briggs. Sorry!

The funny thing is I've taken several different tests to see where they say I would best fit, and they always come up the same. . . .ob/gyn, with family practice a little behind.
Now as most of you know who have followed me through my diaries and the forums, I will start WVSOM this fall, and unless something changes my mind, I think I will head into family practice. But that doesn't mean I will forsake ob/gyn.
My friend and mentor, and also the opening speaker at the conference next month, Dr. Randy Hunt, is a family practitioner who treats all patients, but particularly loves obstetrics. So, maybe I will follow my specialties personality tests and do the same thing. That way I can still treat everyone from little children to geriatric patients, but will be able to follow and deliver babies for healthy, uncomplicated pregnancies. That would allow me to combine what I consider to be my favorite and first choice, family medicine, with what appears to be my personality specialty, ob/gyn.
Then again, as I progress through medical school, I intend to keep my options open. There's always IM maybe with a specialty in Rheumatology, Neurology, Cardiology, Surgery, Emergency Medicine. . . . and the list goes on and on.

Wow - I just took that test. In my heart I thought I wanted to be in family practice. However, that field came in dead last! What's up with that?
My number one rank was general surgery, followed by med oncology, radiation oncology, hematology,thoracic surgery,preventive med.
Has anyone taken this test prior to entering med school and compared what actually happened after they were there for awhile?
I going to store the results, and I plan to take this each year once I get into med school. This should be interesting!

Thanks all. I came out high on Oncology and rheumetology. My plan is for Family practice, which kind of came out in the middle. I am not going to change my plan, but I am going to try and find an oncology rotation during 4th year electives to try it out. and then? who knows.
I am not trying to worry about it too much yet. I am too busy trying not to panic over boards coming up too fast – AACCCCCKKKK!
steve

“I came out high on Oncology and rheumetology.My plan is for Family practice, which kind of came out in the middle.” swy55

I just took that test. In my heart I thought I wanted to be in family practice. However, that field came in dead last! What’s up with that? BACMEDIC

That survey is a sham. Rheumetology and oncology were the top to specialties identified by the survey. My two principal interests (cardiology and emergency) were in the last five of the list. I have nothing particular opposed to those but I have no interest in doing either for a living. Oh well! We’ll see what happens when the time comes to choose a residency?

QUOTE (dmaes @ Apr 18 2003, 03:32 PM)
"I came out high on Oncology and rheumetology.My plan is for Family practice, which kind of came out in the middle." swy55

I just took that test. In my heart I thought I wanted to be in family practice. However, that field came in dead last! What's up with that? BACMEDIC

That survey is a sham. Rheumetology and oncology were the top to specialties identified by the survey. My two principal interests (cardiology and emergency) were in the last five of the list. I have nothing particular opposed to those but I have no interest in doing either for a living. Oh well! We'll see what happens when the time comes to choose a residency?

Hi Folks,
The Medical Specialties Test from UVa just matches your responses to questions with practicing physicians in those fields. It is not a measure of your aptitude or of your interests. Sure my top ten were all surgery or surgical specialties except #10 was radiation oncology but nothing is set in stone until you open that envelope on Match Day. After that, you are pretty much headed down a set path.
My Myers-Briggs testing put me closer to the Internal Medicine specialites but my interest is strictly General Surgery since the middle of my third year of medical school. In short, it is really difficult to choose a specialty if nothing grabs you by the end of your third year. In that case, decide if you are interested in medicine or surgery and try to match into a preliminary medicine or surgery year. You can always re-enter the Match for the following year. You can also do a Transitional year (for medicine not surgery) and still go back throught the match again.
It is far better to do something transitional or preliminary that get stuck in a seven-year surgical residency because you "thought" you liked surgery or because you liked the idea of being a surgeon but hated the work. The same thing goes for medicine. blink.gif
No test can negate or confirm your true feelings about what you want to do. Many people are opting not to even do a residency because they have found that they actually hate medicine after 4 years of medical school. Having an MD/DO does give you options so even those folks have choices. Some of my classmates are on Capitol Hill doing lobby work, some are teaching, some are doing research and some are surfing. smile.gif
Chill out and stop worrying about what you are suited for. After third year, you will have a pretty good idea and no test is going to guarantee happiness.
Natalie rolleyes.gif