Starting again at 32

I must be insane. I have a church music degree that has a poor GPA. Never took maths or sciences there. Now that’s all I’m taking. I’d like to become a D.O. Honestly that fits more with my philosophy of healthcare than M.D. and it’s reassuring to know they are more forgiving of GPAs. There is the little issue of the kids. They seem to think they need my help for their homework when I am doing my own. Oh well, at least they are cute.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by not being involved in volunteer work? I do volunteer as a breastfeeding councelor at two separate websites, but I’m not thinking that counts much. I also work with local mothers occasionally, but not often.

I know with finances being as they are my husband wishes I’d get a part time job, and work plus school and kids, I’m a bit scared my grades will suffer if I add any more to my plate. As it stands college algebra has kicked my a$$ on more than one occasion. I don’t want any repeats of that.

Well, that’s a few questions to get me started as an introduction. Hopefully, I get to hang around here a bit and get to know more people who are doing the same thing I am.

Of course you are insane. I don’t think sane people do this. You have to be a bit of a wacko to take this on. but of a little such insanity greath things come.

As to the volunteer bit… I would encourage you to try to find some in a direct patient care setting. I think it will help your resume a lot, but that is not the important thing. Before you commit yourself to the business of human care in the medical setting, you need to have a feeling for what that world is about. Are you bothered by the sight and smell of assorted body fluids?

Are you ready to get your hands on other human bodies of all shapes and sizes? Are you comfortable when confronted by pain?

you need to have some sense of this before you dive straight into the deep end to sink or swim. Volunteering is a way to find out.

Thanks for your response.

Body fluids? I have three kids. There is little I have not been exposed to haha! No seriously, it does not bother me. About the only time I cringe is watching cosmetic surgery near the eyes. Not sure why it gets me, but I think it’s awefully vain to put your sight in danger that way and I get a wee nauseous. But being I’d rather go into peds, I doubt they’ll be looking into much cosmetic surgery.

As a breastfeeding councelor you deal with post partum hormonal crying women often in pain. So, we are good to go there. But in all seriousness, yes. This is why I want to do this. It has little to with money (though that is an added benefit I suppose) and everything to do with giving back to society.

I’ve tried to get involved in a clinical setting at the local hospitals. I am trained as a lactation consultant. However, without having a medical licencing of some sort (at the very least LPN) they will not allow you to work with their patients. It’s too much of a liability for them.

I’m tempted to go to the local nursing home and see if there is anything available there. I know at one point they were hiring teens for silly little jobs. I could kill two birds with one stone even if it was merely housekeeping. I’d at least come in contact with patients (albeit a bit older than my target audience, patients none the less). I did that sort of thing fresh out of highschool, oh, a LONG time ago.

I really want to focus on my grades though. It’s been a long time since the days of goofing off and since I already have a bachelors, I have no other courses to take except math and science. There are no fluff courses to lighten my load so every semester is intense. I’m o.k. with that, I just don’t want my GPA to suffer (and with college algebra it has already). My sciences thus far are straight As and I’d like to keep it that way.

Thanks for the hello. And the reminder that it’s o.k. to be a little insane. I’ve toyed with this idea for years, but it wasn’t until last year I became brave enough to give it a shot. I realize now, I REALLY want this. So hopefully that will give me the push to get through this.

If you are even remotely considering Peds, YOU MUST READ Intern Blues, it may or may not affect your decision, but none the less it is a must read for anyone considering Peds as a field of interest…You can purchase the book fairly inexpensively on amazon or for a couple dollars more from your local book store…It’s an iconic book in many opinions…

Remotely considering is the understatement of the century. I wonder if I can get it and read it during winter break. No time to read for leisure while classes are in session. Thanks for the recomendation!

Yeah I read "The Intern Blues’ several years ago when I was assigned to do “1:1s” on my hospital floor since I had my thumb in a splint. It was to me a fascinating book yet a bit disturbing at the same time, quite an eye-opener. I like books that don’t sugarcoat the profession, that really show “here is what does happen in the medical setting and how doctors feel at times”. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hear how you are doing and the decision making process!

Mehgan

No problem…You should be able to finish it while on winter break. averyismycat is right, it definitely puts it all out there in the Intern Blues, that’s quite certain.

O.k. just ordered it and a book on breast health for my daughter while I was on amazon. Thanks!