Starting fresh.

Hey all,

Thought I would write a post as I cannot sleep tonight. 4am here.

I have officially been laid off (furloughed) from my job as a 747-400 freight pilot. I am no longer in the realm of “maybe I’ll pursue medicine” and am now in the “I need a new career starting today” atmosphere. I have long considered this path, and this furlough is the catalyst for which I will use to start. I have registered for a CNA course at the end of the month and will begin taking courses this spring at my local CC. I plan on taking EMT-B, College Algebra, and maybe an Intro to Bio type class. I basically am trying to get myself back up to speed with college material and coursework before applying for post-bacs.

The intention now is to apply to both the UNC-Greensboro and HES courses. From there, we’ll see. Wish my luck as I am officially starting this instead of just thinking about it…

Sorry to hear about your job situation but at the same time congratulations! Seems its the kick in the backside you needed. Your plan sounds good. Now execute!

Hello Fellow Aviator!

I also left aviation to pursue this path. I was not a 747 pilot, just a CFI and a part 135 pilot.

When I couldn’t make enough bucks at it, I took a long hard look and decided I needed to pursue another dream. Like you, I am just starting the switch from “maybe someday” to “now.” I miss flying from time to time, but I think there’s a plan in all this and I’m happy to move forward!

Best of luck to you!!

Andy

Sorry for the bad new and good luck.

A question and some random thoughts . . . how did you get a BS in Aero Engineering without having College Algebra? Also, the CNA and the EMT-B classes are roughly equivalent in usefulness, though obviously different in application/area of study. Perhaps one or the other will save you a few dollars and some time. In my area neither will count for any college credit, and seem to be used just for entry level experience/shadow type job seeking.

If you have a BS with a decent GPA, perhaps you can concentrate just on prereqs. . . this coming from a guy who is jealous, because I have to finish a bachelor at a late age!

Chris

Good for you! It’s a tough decision but now that you’re committed, there’s no turning back, eh? A while back, a guy from Human Resources once told me: Nobody owns your career but you. He was right. See you in med school!

Thanks everyone.

Andy, I was curious if your screen name had any aviation connection. You made the right choice!! Don’t look back, just make enough that one day you can buy a Bonanza/Cirrus/172 and you’ll be plenty happy.

@Crepitus, my major was Aero Science, not Engineering. Either way though, I took math through Applied Calculus in college, but that was 10 years ago and I have retained ZERO of it. Haha. I want to have a solid base for the Chem courses.

Also, my GPA was less than stellar at 3.0 cumulative.

As to the EMT-B vs CNA, the CNA course is just one day here, and if I can land a job as an ED tech, I’ll just stick with that.

Again, thanks everyone! Good luck to us all.

• CaptMark Said:
Thanks everyone.

Andy, I was curious if your screen name had any aviation connection. You made the right choice!! Don't look back, just make enough that one day you can buy a Bonanza/Cirrus/172 and you'll be plenty happy.

@Crepitus, my major was Aero Science, not Engineering. Either way though, I took math through Applied Calculus in college, but that was 10 years ago and I have retained ZERO of it. Haha. I want to have a solid base for the Chem courses.

Also, my GPA was less than stellar at 3.0 cumulative.

As to the EMT-B vs CNA, the CNA course is just one day here, and if I can land a job as an ED tech, I'll just stick with that.

Again, thanks everyone! Good luck to us all.

Hang in there Cap'n...I had a sub-3.0 as well....just got to take it a day at a time.