Starting over...

Hi Everyone.
Thank you to the organizers of this website!!! I’ve been looking for a web site like this for a long time. I know now that I am not alone in the quest for a medical degree.
I am 27 years old. I graduated college about 5 years ago. I took some pre reqs ( I admit not all) and was admitted to medical school in Asia, I was not happy with the education that I was getting. I felt I was not learning anything. I thought that medical school was not right for me. A year later, I realized that medical school was right for me. I missed the patients, the rush of adrenaline when we were in class or in the field and I knew the answer!
I admit that financially I might not be able to afford to make another mistake. Id like to take prereqs to be able to go to medical school soon. Thus, I am asking the help of those who know what to do, Is it okay that I start over and not submit my old prereqs and just take new ones? Does anyone know of a school who admits international non-traditional students? Please help. I am very confused and would like to start soon.
Thank you everyone and good luck to us all.

First, I’d like to welcome you to the forum. I hope that you find many answers and lots of support from all of us here.
Second, let me say that you’re still a young 'un compared to many of us, so if you have any concerns about being older, don’t! There are many, many nontraditional students who are accepted to medical schools every year.
Third, medical schools require that you indicate all coursework you’ve taken at any (and all) post-secondary institution(s), even if you do retake courses. As I understand it, MD programs do not factor subsequent retakes of a course into GPA (you’re stuck with what you got the first time around) but DO programs do.
Fourth, the medical schools to which I applied all have statements regarding the need for applicants to be US citizens, Canadian citizens, or permanent US residents. I am not sure that this is the policy of every med school in the US, however. Others on this forum may be able to respond to that. Or you could contact the medical schools in which you’re interested and ask them directly.
Finally, I’d just like to add in “Good luck!” on your voyage. Please search the archives or write in with any questions you might have and I’m sure you’ll receive lots of feedback.
Larry

Quote:

Third, medical schools require that you indicate all coursework you’ve taken at any (and all) post-secondary institution(s), even if you do retake courses. As I understand it, MD programs do not factor subsequent retakes of a course into GPA (you’re stuck with what you got the first time around) but DO programs do.
Fourth, the medical schools to which I applied all have statements regarding the need for applicants to be US citizens, Canadian citizens, or permanent US residents. I am not sure that this is the policy of every med school in the US, however.

Did you take your ‘old’ prereqs in here or in foreign country? As far as I know, you don’t have to report your grades from foreing institutions…(at least this is the case with me…which is definitelly to my advantage ).
I’m not sure about international student status. But I do know that most of the schools have info on that on their websites. So start there and just call the addmission office if you have more questions.

That is correct–classes taken at a foreign university which were not transferred to a US or Canadian university are not reported on the AMCAS. I do believe, however, that you must still report attendance at a foreign university, even if credits were not transferred. Individual medical schools may require transcripts from these foreign universities when completing the secondary application–it is at the school’s discretion.
Larry

Hi,
I am in the same boat as you are. I actually called the AMCAS and asked them if I needed to report my grades from a foreign university and they said that I do but it would not be included in the American GPA (unless they were accepted as transferred credits by an American Institution).
Many schools require that students who have a degree from a foreign university will finish at least one year of academic work in an American or Canadian institition. They also require pre requisites done in a U.S/Canadian school. I simply choose to take a year and do most of the pre-requisites, take the MCAT and apply. Hope this helps.
good luck
Batya