State residency requirements

If I go to Med School out of state(To Texas from Virginia) and I initially enroll as a nonresident, am I obligated to pay nonresident status for the entire 4 years? I am assuming that I can achieve Texas residency at some point during my education and pay the resident tuition instead for my remaining years. Any information for ANY state residency status concerning tuition would be greatly appreciated.


Most states I have been in require you to be OUT OF SCHOOL and IN STATE for a year or more to acheive in-state residency status. The only exception I am familiar with is Ohio. So definitely check this out with the higher education office (or whatever they have) in Texas.

You can get residency status for in-state tuition in Ohio after your first year, assuming you jump through all of the appropriate hoops. If you have a spouse moving with you who will be working full time, you may be able to qualify for in-state residency the first year. Ohio is one of the easier states to gain residency in. Many of the other states make it difficult, if not impossible, to gain in-state tuition.

As Denise mentioned, your best bet is to call schools in the various states and find out what each state’s rules are. You might also check to see if there are any differences between public and private schools. Some private schools don’t charge an out-of-state rate (although their tuiton rate for everyone is as expensive as out-of-state rates at most public schools).

Florida and I believe Texas are the same in this in that you have to show proof that you are there to establish residency OTHER THAN to attend school. If you do not buy a house then you are SOL and will have to pay out of state tuition.

Check this out:

I did not read it but it should answer all your questions. Good luck and welcome to Texas if you decide to come - I love it here!

If someone discovers another state/school in which it’s easy to gain residency, please post it. Thanks

Many state med schools generally require that you live in the state for 12 months prior to gaining residency, and that you also vote, pay taxes, and have a driver’s license in the state. Often being a student doesn’t qualify you for the 12 month waiting period. But, each school is different, so make a bunch of phone calls, or check their web sites.