Step 1

When did you start to study for step 1 and did you take time off?
I’m planning to start in semester 2 since I will have Anatomy, embryo and Histo/cell done and I can continue to study them to “keep up”. Then take 5 weeks of intense step only study followed by 2 weeks of lighter study (with kaplan books/lectures) then take the step.
What do you think?

I’ve read a lot of different ideas on this, and nearly everyone seems to think their own study method was great (but there are big variations among people!). All the senior students I talked to at my school said to not start studying until second semester, which was a little nerve-wracking but turned out to be a good idea because first semester was so busy with classes.
I’m headed for Step 1 in June; I had hoped to be further along in review by now, but our Jan/Feb classes have been brutal (ugh, pathophys).
At this point I have 13.5 weeks left, which is unpleasantly finite; we have a 5-week period between the end of classes and the time we start 3rd year, so we don’t have much choice in when to take the boards.
I’ve been trying to use First Aid, the Goljan audio lectures, and Goljan Rapid Review Path throughout this year to guide my studying. I also use the Kaplan QBank in reviewing for exams. I’m planning to do my first NBME basic sciences test within a week or two (I don’t expect to do fantastically well on it, but it should help give me a sense of problem areas).

Hi there,
In the United States, most students are given time off for USMLE Step I and do not they take time off for this exam. Most schools will end second year around the end of April and most US students take this exam the second or third week of June. This allows plenty of time for review.
One does not study for USMLE but reviews. If you are finding that you are trying to memorize for this exam, you may have a great deal of difficulty. This exam usually sorts out like this: Pathology, Physiology and Pharm the most represented; Biochemistry, Microbiology and Psych less represented; Anatomy and Biostats relative non-represented. Questions are usually straight-forward basic science questions or the application of basic science principles to clinical situations very similiar to MCAT.
The utility of programs like Q-Bank is that you get practice with the types of questions that are asked on USMLE. Q-Bank is not exactly like USMLE but close. Memorizing Path reviews and things like the Goljan notes are not generally that helpful.Good basic science teaching and class performance is the most helpful. Understanding how the basic science of pathology can be integrated into clinical scenarios is a good way to study. You need to be able to recognize certain photos of micro findings and you need to be able to read and intepret graphs of physiological and pathological entities.
The people who do best on USMLE Steps I and II are those who have a good working knowledge of pre-clinical and clinical sciences (especially medicine). You have to be able to apply what you have learned. I found that everything I needed to memorize could be on one small index card (pharm formulas).
The method that USMLE Step I uses virtually eliminates trying to memomize things from first year classes before you have taken second year coursework. This exam wants you to put everything together. Individual subject exams are virtually useless as USMLE is fully integrated.
The method that USMLE Step II (CS) uses virtually eliminates trying to memorize things from review books before you have finished third year. You have to have a good working knowledge of the practice of medicine and the application of clinical sciences.
Happy reviewing!
Natalie

Thanks! Pretty much what I thought more applying and thinking than just spitting out knowledge. I agree with reviewing the material. I was planning to review what I have done the first semester and do that every semester on the side some to keep it going. I will only review for about 5 weeks then take the exam after that so I can take step one and start clinicals in Sept.

Thanks for your feedback, Natalie. I am particularly encouraged by the advice to focus on understanding instead of memorization (I know you have said this before, in many posts, but it seems like our whole class has set out to memorize every word of First Aid, and it’s hard to feel confident about breaking away from the crowd).
I had heard from a very senior and trusted faculty member that the NBME “Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment” tests (not the subject tests) are among the best predictors of Step 1 score, and are useful for diagnosing problem areas early on, so I will try those as well as continuing to work on QBank.

Quote:

Thanks for your feedback, Natalie. I am particularly encouraged by the advice to focus on understanding instead of memorization (I know you have said this before, in many posts, but it seems like our whole class has set out to memorize every word of First Aid, and it’s hard to feel confident about breaking away from the crowd).

I had heard from a very senior and trusted faculty member that the NBME “Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment” tests (not the subject tests) are among the best predictors of Step 1 score, and are useful for diagnosing problem areas early on, so I will try those as well as continuing to work on QBank.

I have heard that about NBME also. I plan to study cores again and then take Practice tests to see how I’m doing then NBME.