Step I: Check!

Hey ya’ll. Greetings from UNC!!

I know it’s been awhile since I posted blush but this semester has been a whirlwind. I just finished STEP I today and I am so happy it’s over :smiley: even though I have know idea how I think I did.

On Monday, my hubby and I are headed to Jamaica for a whole week. When I get back Ill let you know what I did to study. Take care!!

DRD

Congrats! Enjoy your vacation as it is well deserved.

Congrats on a job well done, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the test!! Have a great, and well deserved vacation in Jamaica!!

Congrats on getting that hurdle out of the way! I can hardly wait until this time next year when I will hopefully be posting the same thing.

Jamaica was awesome!!! One week in paradise is just the cure for 2 years of intense studying and being serious!! I connected with my husband again and that was truly the best part. Now that we are back, I am so excited to start clinicals. We bought a house before we left and this week is devoted to moving. July 5th, I start with Internal Medicine.

As far as Step I goes:

I had 5 weeks and my resources were the following: Kaplan USMLE Step I review (4 books and a book of test questions), Kaplan Qbank (finished 91% of it), BRS Pharm, BRS Path and First Aid for Step I 2005.

The first week I read Book 1 of the Kaplan series covering Micro, Biochem, and Bioethics. I studied for 6 days reading about 70-80 pages per days and taking notes in First Aid. Then I would do 50-100 QBank questions, reading the explanations and taking notes in First Aid.

Week 2: I read through book 2 quickly (it was thin) and then started on Book 3 with the organ systems. More Qbank and notes in First aid.

Week 3: Finished book 3 and started book 4 + Qbank and FA. By the end of the week I added BRS Path. I read 30 pages a day and took notes in FA which re-emphasized the path in the Kaplan Books (poor in my opinion)

Week 4: Finished Book 4, kept up with BRS Path and QBank. I also added BRS Path and made note cards which I memorized (CNS, antimicrobials, and cardio; the rest I didn’t memorize, just read again)

Week 5: Finished BRS Path and Pharm and re-read FA cover to cover + Qbank. 2 days before the exam I took 7-50 question blocks to simulate the testing experience and I went to bed very late. The day before the exam I woke up very early, I drove some golf balls, did yoga, meditated and had sex (very important!) The night before I read through the quick facts at the back of FA and went to bed at 10:30pm.

Test day: Had a small breakfst and packed high powered snacks for the day. My exam began at 8:30. I took small breaks between each block just to keep my blood flowing. I took a 20 minute break for lunch. I finished at 3:45. My husband picked me up at the test center with an icy cold Red Strip beer (Jamaicas beer) waiting for me.

My thoughts: Nothing you study can prepare you for the amount of material on this exam. Some of the questions will be very easy and straight forward. Some will make you think a bit. Some will make you thank God that you memorized that little fact and some are just plain WTF questions. I marked about 7-12 Q’s per block that I had to go back and think about. I had about 5-6 questions/block that were pharm, 5-6 molecular/biochem and the rest was path/pathphysio. I wish I hadn’t studied so hard for it because some of the questions I faced I probably could have answered right out of 2nd year.

My advice: Don’t take anyone’s advice!! Do what will work for you. Stay away from stressful people and events. Do NOT hole yourself up in solitude while you study. Finally, do something fun for yourself afterwards.

DRD

Thanks for all the details on how you studied! I just did my application online for the September-November window!! I can feel myself hyperventilating already!!

Well, after 4 short weeks…I passed!!! Right at the average so I am luke warm about the score, but thrilled I dont have to take it again. Plus, my patients wont care :-).

I am 2 weeks into my Internal Medicine rotation and I am having so much fun. I have a great team and attending. Patient care is way better than listening to letures all day.

DRD

MS-3 (officially!!)

• drd Said:
Well, after 4 short weeks.....I passed!!!! Right at the average so I am luke warm about the score, but thrilled I dont have to take it again. Plus, my patients wont care :-).

I am 2 weeks into my Internal Medicine rotation and I am having so much fun. I have a great team and attending. Patient care is way better than listening to letures all day.

DRD

MS-3 (officially!!)

CONGRATULATIONS!! You have surpassed a HUGE milestone!