Stories of non medical to medicine career change

Hi all, I have been on and off this forum for the past 6 months. My story…I’m an Electrical Engineer working in a utility company field for the past 4yrs. I can’t seem to find a sense of accomplishment in my career and looking for alternatives. I have always liked the Doctor profession, but scared of the blood and life loss, which made me choose Engineering (which I like, but I can’t feel a sense of accomplishment and I lack the motivation to work).

I have read many motivational stories on this forum from people who were already in a field related to the Medical Profession in some way, who later took up Med School. I request people who are from a non-medical field, who later took up medical school to posts their stories. Although I understand that most of the times, it’s just a strong feeling that made you choose the Medical school path, please tell as much about you as possible, like what is your previous career, how long have you been in that career,what’s the reason for going to Med school. I would like to know that it’s doable and not a crazy decision.

I was an accountant for ten years and am now an OMS-1. And class has started so thats the short version

Hi Dilemma,

Sounds like we are in a similar boat.

I’ve been RF/ electrical engineer in the military/aerospace industry for almost 13 years now.

I have been continually frustrated by two things 1) lack of impact to real problems at the end of the day, 2)lack of personal contact.

I just started my post-bacc pre-med classes yesterday. I hope to enter med school within the next 3 years and pursue a career in oncology. One of the main drivers for me making this decision was after volunteering as a lay counselor at church, and seeing what an impact I could make with real problems in real people’s lives.

Have you done any health care volunteering? I think that might be a good step to see if you find the reward you are seeking - without taking the plunge. It will also be very useful if you decide to apply.

Hey Dilemma,

I am also in a similar situation. I did not grow up dreaming of becoming a doctor. In high school it was the farthest profession from my mind. All I have ever really wanted to do was be a pilot. Well, I did that, and after eight years in the industry and being laid off, and seeing my pay cut 50% I have decided I hate it. Haha.

Never before would I have thought I would consider medicine as a profession. I completed an EMT-B course in college and loved it, but didn’t think of it career wise. Over the past year I have been volunteering at the local VA Hospital and seriously considering a complete career change. This past week I was informed I am going to be laid off by October and with the current pilot job market my decision has essentially been made for me. I’m excited at what lays ahead, but also incredibly nervous at the enormity of the undertaking. Planning on retaking the EMT-B in the spring semester and start post-bacc in the summer.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your posts. I’m going to start volunteering at a hospital in the ICU nursing station, in sept.

I would appreciate if you folks would take a minute to post your experience.

I know you’re post was a while ago, I’m wondering if there was any difficulty getting back into ‘study mode’.

I’m an electrical engineer practicing as a hardware designer for the last 10 years (turning 35 soon) in various industries. I work for a design consultancy firm. Looking for a career change like everyone else here

• eengtomed Said:
I know you're post was a while ago, I'm wondering if there was any difficulty getting back into 'study mode'.

I'm an electrical engineer practicing as a hardware designer for the last 10 years (turning 35 soon) in various industries. I work for a design consultancy firm. Looking for a career change like everyone else here

eengtomed

You have studied quite a bit in your life and presumably successfully if you are an engineer. Studying is like riding a bike, you never forget. You may be rusty at first, and usually it is good practice to start taking pre-requisites slow to see how you adapt. But if your successful in the past, you will be doing even better now.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence.

Given the diverse ares that I’ve done designs in, I’ve been forced to continually update myself through informal ‘studying’ and reading; so there is truth to what you’re saying.

Looking to start the pre-requisites soon

• eengtomed Said:
I know you're post was a while ago, I'm wondering if there was any difficulty getting back into 'study mode'.

I'm an electrical engineer practicing as a hardware designer for the last 10 years (turning 35 soon) in various industries. I work for a design consultancy firm. Looking for a career change like everyone else here

I started my MBA about 3 years ago. It took me one quiz to get back in the right mentality for test taking. I'm not as fast as I once was, so tests take me a little bit longer.

However, I think you will find that you have significant advantages when it comes to studying compared to your undergrad days - you know a lot more about how 'you work best', and probably have a lot more focus then the kids you'd be competing against.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.