Studying for accelerated AP?

Hey guys, how would you approach an accelerated A&P course as far as studying goes? By accelerated, I mean it ends 5 weeks after it starts. I’m starting the paramedic program in November (providing I get accepted anyhow) and it requires an A&P class beforehand. NCTI, the institute that offers the medic program, offers the aforementioned class before every medic program so those of us (like me) who don’t have a college class completed in both anatomy and physiology can speed through it and enter the medic program.

Would you even attempt to read the textbook or would you just speed scan? How would you separate low yield info from high yield? Any advice will be appreciated!

If you have completed premedical prerequisites, then the paramedic A&P should be a cinch. It’s really just a watered down and compressed version of the one year version of A&P that RN students, allied health students (RTs, X-ray techs, sonographers, et cetera), and some pre-professional health care students (preMD, preDO, preDDS, preDC, et cetera) take. You should just go ahead and study the whole paramedic A&P textbook beforehand. You probably need the textbook that is used for the one year A&P to help flesh out your paramedic A&P textbook. Medical school study aid texts are way overkill.

What’s my experience to say this? I’ve been a paramedic for seven years. I went through a full-time, college paramedic program that was four semesters in length.

• ihopetobeado2 Said:
If you have completed premedical prerequisites, then the paramedic A&P should be a cinch. It’s really just a watered down and compressed version of the one year version of A&P that RN students, allied health students (RTs, X-ray techs, sonographers, et cetera), and some pre-professional health care students (preMD, preDO, preDDS, preDC, et cetera) take. You should just go ahead and study the whole paramedic A&P textbook beforehand. You probably need the textbook that is used for the one year A&P to help flesh out your paramedic A&P textbook. Medical school study aid texts are way overkill.

What’s my experience to say this? I’ve been a paramedic for seven years. I went through a full-time, college paramedic program that was four semesters in length.

Hmm, ok. So I'm guessing anatomy flash cards is probably unnecessary? What supplemental textbooks would you recommend specifically?

Also, my friend has the previous version of the A&P textbook. The new version states it has better study notes, but honestly, is it the same as with college textbooks where a new version just means they're trying to bilk you for more money?

I'll start reviewing his A&P textbook, although out of boredom, I read most of it awhile ago. What exactly should I focus on, if there's specific stuff I should? I don't foresee it being reasonable to memorize every specific thing in the book. Do they mainly just want you to know the concepts? How nitpicky is the anatomy, etc.?

Yeah, I have completed gen chem 1 & 2 as well as calc 1 & 2, other than that, no pre-med reqs done. However, now that I know you're a paramedic, here comes the onslaught of questions.

A solid overview is the most important part. Know the major bones and organs, their placement and functionality. I would pay particular attention to abdominal, thoracic, and neuro anatomy. The heart is a major focus in paramedic programs, understanding it’s components will hold you in good stead.

I have and like 2 anatomy books. They are overkill for paramedic but provide a lot of good information and are interesting enough to give me something to read in my down time at the station. Both have a clinical focus. The first and larger of the two is Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley. The second which is smaller and easier to carry is Netter’s Clinical Anatomy by Hansen and Lambert.

For what it’s worth my background is that I am a NY paramedic, lab instructor, and preceptor. I am also a pre med junior looking to start med school in 2010.

• medic5 Said:
A solid overview is the most important part. Know the major bones and organs, their placement and functionality. I would pay particular attention to abdominal, thoracic, and neuro anatomy. The heart is a major focus in paramedic programs, understanding it's components will hold you in good stead.

I have and like 2 anatomy books. They are overkill for paramedic but provide a lot of good information and are interesting enough to give me something to read in my down time at the station. Both have a clinical focus. The first and larger of the two is Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley. The second which is smaller and easier to carry is Netter's Clinical Anatomy by Hansen and Lambert.

For what it's worth my background is that I am a NY paramedic, lab instructor, and preceptor. I am also a pre med junior looking to start med school in 2010.

Ok, I'll look into those two books, thanks for sharing!