Summer Plans

Well, it looks like I’ve got a summer plan finally in place! I’m going to Denmark to do an internship at the European office of the World Health Organization. I’ll be working in the HIV/AIDS program.
I’m really looking forward to the internship and can’t wait until summer actually arrives. We have another month left of anatomy and physiology, and then in May we start our immunology course. I have to say I am getting a bit tired of anatomy at this point. I’ve enjoyed it but it’s been a long haul.
What are other OPMers planning for the summer? There are several first years around here, so be sure to let us know!

Your summer plans sound awesome!
I’m stuck here in the good 'ol USA taking A&P II and Calculus. Oh, and working. I AM going to see Jimmy Buffett this summer and maybe go to Sturgis with my husband

Sounds like quite a summer indeed.
I’ll either be taking Physics I and II, or O-chem I and cellular biology and possibly genetics as well. Either way I’ll also be working as a T.A./tutor in gen chem, gen bio, and anatomy. Most importantly though I’ll be trying to keep my wife sane after she starts her IM residency in July

2 weeks in Japan to visit my wifes family, then home to work, putting dinosaurs back together, hopefully not taking the MCAT again

Hey Pushkin, do I remember correctly that you are at Cornell? PBL? I’m over at NYCOM and in their pilot PBL program. I spend a lot of weekends in the city studying in the Cornell library. It is a great library. You?

I’m going to Seattle and bum around on my sailboat. I’m going to play video games. I’m going to hang out with friends.
I’m not going to do anything remotely related to medicine, boards, or anything of the sort.
We have thirty full body OMM treatments to do next year (yeah, you read that right) and half of them have to be people outside the class so I might see if I can find 15 willing victims to injure.

Well - it’s been an eventful 24 hours!! Yesterday, I found out that I had been selected as President of the Emergency Medicine Interest Group. Today - I found out that I was accepted for not just one, but TWO different summer research positions.
The first position, I had almost forgotten that I had applied for - the application was due back in February and I never even got an acknowledgement that they had received my application. So, I was pretty stunned to get the letter today that I have been selected to work with the head of Trauma Surgery at a local hospital for 8 weeks this summer.
Later in the day, I received an e-mail informing me that I had been selected to receive funding to do Geriatrics research. For the Geriatrics research, I was going to do something in the pre-hospital area or the Emergency Department.
I haven’t officially decided yet, but it sounds like my mentor in the first program has interests that are very similar to mine.
A busy summer awaits . . .

wow! Amy, that sounds great.
I’ll be in Italy/Ireland and not sure where else for a few weeks…
my kids will be driving me nuts for most of the rest of the summer…
and I’ll be renovating/remodeling my house so I don’t have to worry about it…
hopefully I’ll find some time to study for anatomy before school starts again.

It actually sounds like this research is going to be awesome. When I talked to one of the people at the hospital where I’ll be at, they said this is a huge study that only a few hospitals have been chosen to participate in. Her words were something to the effect of “If you’re interested in EM (which I am), this is the kind of thing that can make your residency application really stand out.”
Needless, to say, I’m very excited. I also need to get my rear in gear because I am behind on my independent study program, so I need to catch up as much as possible so I don’t have to try and do research 40 hours a week and finish Med 1 at the same time.
I am envious of your travelling this summer, though. I would love to take a couple of short trips, but it doesn’t look like I’ll have much time.

Being in an offshore school means spending the summer in class. However, since its fifth semester, its physical diagnosis, Introduction to Clinical Medicine, and Step 1 Review Time!!! I’m planning on taking that baby sometime around my 44th birthday in October!!

You guys have some great plans! I am going to stay with my parents for a while until I get my act together, and then I’d like to do a little research before classes start. I also plan to continue teaching MCAT for Kaplan. We are expecting a larger than normal influx of students this summer because of it being the last pen-and-paper test, so if any of you scored well on the test and are looking for a relatively well-paying summer job…