???Summer pre-req scchedule???

At the Community College Level I am currently taking…

Chemistry for Health Sciences (like a basic overall washed down look at Gen Chem, Org Chem, and Bio Chem)

Anatomy and Physiology

MicroBiology

Will begin College Algebra soon as a refresher before I hit the Calc. (just signed up to start Saturday).

So with this in my background how does the following sound for the summer (not working)???

Summer A (8-weeks)

Gen Chem I w/lab

Bio I w/ lab

Summer B (8-weeks)

Gen Chem II w/lab

Bio II w/ lab

Summer C (12-16 weeks)

Calculus

Thanks ahead for the advice!!!

• Mel82 Said:
At the Community College Level I am currently taking...

Chemistry for Health Sciences (like a basic overall washed down look at Gen Chem, Org Chem, and Bio Chem)

Anatomy and Physiology

MicroBiology

Will begin College Algebra soon as a refresher before I hit the Calc. (just signed up to start Saturday).

So with this in my background how does the following sound for the summer (not working)???

Summer A (8-weeks)

Gen Chem I w/lab

Bio I w/ lab

Summer B (8-weeks)

Gen Chem II w/lab

Bio II w/ lab

Summer C (12-16 weeks)

Calculus

Thanks ahead for the advice!!!

Well, your schedule for summer A is going to be pretty rough, and summer B will be flat out brutal due to the amount of work involved in gen chem 2. I also would /not/ recommend taking calculus during the summer. Other than that, looks fine.

I agree with Tim. Spring / Summer classes are very compressed, since you have to cover a normal semester’s worth of material in either 1/2 or 1/3 the time of a normal semester. In my view, taking 1 course per semester during the spring or summer is plenty, this is particularly so if you also work… 2 per semester is really pushing it.

Any reason why you must take the pre-reqs over the summer? I’d actually recommend taking them during the regular semesters, because you need enough time to learn the material well for the MCAT. Use the summer semesters to take other classes that will enrich you or that just sound interesting. If I were you, I would take the calc class over the summer plus one other “fun” class (nonscience). Some good ones to consider that would be useful for med school are psychology, foreign language, medical ethics, communications, anthropology, or nutrition.