Summer Pre-Reqs

Is it true that medical schools look down on pre-reqa taken in the summer? It’s going to set me back a lot to miss out on summer physics.

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~morris/summer_physic s.html

• annieb Said:
Is it true that medical schools look down on pre-reqa taken in the summer? It's going to set me back a lot to miss out on summer physics.

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~morris/summer_physic s.html

Your link is specifically by the Johns Hopkins University Physics Department and perhaps is a little too simplistic, a little too harsh, and a little too absolute.

Yes, most medical schools know that summer courses may be less rigorous or complete than other courses. However, unless your are trying to get into JHU or similar absolutely major league research-oriented, I think the impact is negligible to moderate.

Many students here on OPM take the "death march" of Organic Chemistry in the summer, which is more likely to slightly be noted by an adcom. Additionally, non-calculus based physics is acceptable by a majority of medical schools, as math requirements seemed to be loosening at many medical schools. Finally, medical schools are more likely to examine how all the pieces of your application fit together.

So if you have a good GPA from a good 4 year college and you have a summer physics course at a decent school with a good grade and your MCAT physical science is in the same good range, it will make little difference.

If want to be so absolutely sure of every possible advantage, not matter how small, especially if trying to get into a JHU level medical school, then perhaps it might make a marginal difference. For the most part, it will not be the deciding factor of getting into medical school.

Having said all that, if you are taking summer physics in order to take an August MCAT and apply late in the cycle, that will lessen your chances of acceptance greatly. Apply early and often (as in multiple schools). If that is the case, then delaying your MCAT and application until the next cycle will increase your odds

You didn’t mention the length of your summer class. The website only speaks of shortened half semesters. Many schools offer a full summer semester that isn’t much shorter than the other. (This is called Summer C in Florida and they are one week shorter; 13 weeks vs 14.)