Super Bowl 2005

I don’t really have many strong opinions about the Super Bowl this year, just wanted to get the conversation going. And wanted to note for the record that I picked Tampa Bay a few years ago waaaaaay before the Super Bowl and turned out to be right. This year they did not look so hot.
I will admit that I am seriously rooting AGAINST the Philadelphia Eagles and it kinda pains me to admit it because I really like Donovan McNabb and his mom. But I hate the Eagles.
I’d like to see the Steelers and the Falcons do well, just 'cause they’re fun. I still like the Patriots but I really don’t care what they do this year. I am against the Vikings not only because Randy Moss is a jerk, but because they wussed out and went with a dome up there in Minneapolis whereas Green Bay continues to play in Real Cold. Although it’s probably good for Mike Vick to play in a dome, I am generally anti-dome.
There, enough random football comments to get a conversation going I hope…
Mary

As a native Baltimorean, I have to say “anybody but the Colts,” at least as long as the Irsays have an interest in the team. Many true old Colt fans still vividly remember how Bob Irsay ripped the heart out of this city when he moved the team in the middle of a snowy night in March 1983. I was 12 then and I can still see the pictures from the news in my mind.
I also like the Steelers (gotta root for the rookie QB) and New England, just because I remember when they too were the worst in the NFL (just like the old Colts). Plus they are not an arrogant team like so many others.
I’ll be watching the Indianapolis/New England game as I work on my presentation on immunizations for my peds rotation Gotta find that balance somewhere.
Just my two cents,
Tara

Geoff,
I agree with you one hundred percent with the Elway-Eli Manning comparison. And yes, the Baltimore Colts were the team he ditched for the Broncos to get the nickname “No way Elway.” For years, I had always hoped that he too would never win a super bowl. It would have been poetic justice for the Chargers to win it all
Tara
Really, I’m not bitter. We Baltimoreans really loved our Colts. No matter how bad they were, they were still ours. It just ripped the heart out of our city when Irsay moved them (back in the days before teams moved around all of the time).

GO STEELERS…enough said!!!

I never watch the superbowl because I can’t stand bowling.
Erica
(Wanting to be category-appropriate)

Yay! Me, too.
I’ll watch the Superbowl when the Saints are in it, how’s that?
Do you think they’ll still have television then?

STEELERS RULE!!!

AFC

I predict the Colts will knock out the Pats & the STEELERS will destroy the Jets.

NFC (Who cares?

The Falcons will handle the Rams w/o trouble; however, the Viks & the Eagles may well be a game worth watching, if not just to hope someone knocks that rude, punk-bitch Randy Moss @$$ right off his disrespectful shoulders!!!

Off course, my STEELERS will go to the dance & win it all!!!

Quote:

STEELERS RULE!!!
AFC
I predict the Colts will knock out the Pats & the STEELERS will destroy the Jets.
NFC (Who cares?
The Falcons will handle the Rams w/o trouble; however, the Viks & the Eagles may well be a game worth watching, if not just to hope someone knocks that rude, punk-bitch Randy Moss @$$ right off his disrespectful shoulders!!!
Off course, my STEELERS will go to the dance & win it all!!!

Hey Dave,
I am behind the Steelers all the way. I just love Ben! What a talent! What a great game against the Jets. Go Steelers!!!
(Since the Redskins are not in the playoffs).
Natalie

Well folks,
Now that Ben has shown his talent for throwing interceptions, I will have to root for the Eagles. I just like McNabb and Westbrook. Yesterday’s game was great though I was hoping for an all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl.
Natalie

Quote:

Anyway, as I said earlier… the winner of the Indy/NE game wins the Super Bowl.

I’m still sticking to my prediction regardless of Philly’s game yesterday. McNabb doesn’t have a chance…unfortunately.

yeah he does. I think better than most give him credit for.
The Philly RB needs to have a good game tho like he has done throughout the playoffs. If so, Philly wins by 3.

After watching the NE defense totally stymie two of the most powerful offense in the NFL (Pitt & Indy), I am gonna pull for the Pats. Plus, in my football watching history, I have always been an ardent fan of the AFC & am LOVIN the fact the AFC has finally come into its own & has dominated the NFC after 14 abysmal years of losses to those bastards. The ONLY NFC team I have ever rooted for in the Super Bowl was Tampa & that only because a started rooting for them in the early 80s because they sucked so bad that I figured they needed a fan or two. I started rooting for the Pats around the same time, for the same reason, as long as it did not hurt my STEELERS.
Anyhow, GO PATS! Too bad it is not really the BEST team in the AFC - the STEELERS! But, the Steelers did not play like a team worthy of a Super Bowl bid…so, they’ll be sitting their asses at home wathcing the game on the tube just like me.

Nope, no Pats for me. Since I met Zane in Pennsylvania, and since Pittsburg isn’t in it, I have to go with Philly. Go Eagles!!

As someone originally from the New England area, and a fan of the Patriots through their many less than stellar years, I’ve got to get in on this one!
Imagine being a young girl, new to the California Bay Area, proudly displaying your Patriots gear and undying confidence in your team year after year only to watch each season end in a shambles. Now imagine your that same girl, all grown up, still proudly flying the Pats flag, now with reason to wave it! We’re not trying to be greedy with the Superbowl Championships…but they have been a long time coming.
Enjoy the game everyone,
Go Pats!!
Stephanie

no game watching for me. exam is monday.

I was scheduled to be on call in the ICU on super Bowl Sunday. However, my intern - God, is it wonderful to say that! - was willing to trade around & take our call shift yesterday/today off & subsequently cover me being off for the game Sunday!
I will a watchin & swilling adult beverages!

WOW someone switched with you for the Super Bowl??!! Man, I wouldn’t. Although it occurs to me that in the unit, you could put most of the TVs on the game and the patients wouldn’t notice. (cough, wow that is NOT nice but it is true)
I’m on my golden weekend from the Rotation From Hell, Pediatrics. T’other night my fellow intern and I admitted something like 22 patients. We lost count after awhile. So not only am I going to be consuming adult beverages for the Super Bowl, I am seriously contemplating spending a good portion of the weekend pleasantly tipsy. Of course I might pay for that when I go back Monday and am on call that night.
I would like to root for Donovan McNabb, but one way he’d have a great game is if that annoying sh!t T.O. has a great game and I don’t support that. So it’s Pats for me.
Mary

Although usually anti-Eagles, I am going to root for them this time. My mom sold one of their players parents a house about 20 years ago. The Eagles have 4 players from Maryland on the team. About as close to a home team playing in the Super Bowl until the Redskins get their act together.

I have to admit that when I see the phrase, “adult beverages” I have this image of one beer bottle sidling suggestively up to another beer bottle, with that mm-chicka-mm-chicka-mm-chicka-mowmow in the bacground.
I am obviously too immature to be drinking adult beverages.

Quote:

yeah he does. I think better than most give him credit for.
The Philly RB needs to have a good game tho like he has done throughout the playoffs. If so, Philly wins by 3.

You nailed it JP! If Philly would have had a running game they would have won… and it probably would have been by more than 3.
Regardless, I loved the outcome. I had Philly +7.