Surgical Residency Must-Haves

Hi there,
I was enjoying a discussion on another thread about the wonderful coffee at Dunkin Doughnuts (Donut Connection) when I came up with the idea for this thread. Being a Surgical Resident, there are few necessities but they are there nevertheless. Here goes:
1. That extra-large cup of Dunkin Doughnut’s coffee for my 10-minute drive to the hospital.
2. My extra-thick Howard University School of Medicine sweatshirt. After I get out of the OR (those hot lights), I am usually sweaty and chilly.
3. Another cup of coffee (I usually drop in a couple of ice cubes) around 2pm. Mum is right, high tea in the afternoon is the most civilized thing that you can do. My 2pm cup of Joe is a close as I get these days!
4. My Birkenstocks and my little green Invanz head covers. I am starting to do the “Hulk Hogen headscarf-thing” though.
5. My assortement of scrunchies.
6. My Michael McDonald CD, My Carlos Santana CD and my Dionne Warwick CD for the operating room. I get to choose the music. Sometimes the case crys for Outkast or Nellyville.
7. A good cold Budweiser on those evenings when I am not on call and when I have at least 16 hours before I will be on call again. (Very rare but good)
8. A Cohiba cigar with my Boodles martini, straight up, no vermouth and two olives (Shaken not stirred). Very rare weekend when I am not on call.
Natalie

Well I can’t add to this list - though I could abuse you for choosing Budweiser, but this is a good place to ask: what’s with the French in your sig? Did Quebec annex Cleveland?

Hey Mary,
I have been practicing my French along with my medical Spanish. Since I studied French in secondary school, I have a better handle on it. My Spanish is coming along slowly but coming along. Too many of my patients will be Spanish speaking for me not to work on this aspect of my training.
I have always loved Budweiser. I will even drink the stuff out of a can if it is cold enough. I guess my tastes in gin are expensive but my taste in beer is pretty cheap. At least I didn’t say PBR.
Natalie

Gotta agree with Mary on the Budweiser thing. Now that you’re in Cleveland, try some of the many local microbrews. I don’t typically like beer, but some of the micro’s are pretty good.
If you want to take somewhere out to impress, I can also recommend several good restaurants in that vein as well. Hope you are enjoying Cleveland, Natalie - it’s a great city!
Amy
If you’re into Italian, may I recommend that you head down to Cleveland’s Little Italy for dinner (or lunch). There is a wonderful little place called Mama Santa’s that has the best chicken cacciatore that I have ever tasted! They also lay claim to “Best Pizza in Cleveland” this year (and several other years).

Quote:

Gotta agree with Mary on the Budweiser thing. Now that you’re in Cleveland, try some of the many local microbrews. I don’t typically like beer, but some of the micro’s are pretty good.
If you want to take somewhere out to impress, I can also recommend several good restaurants in that vein as well. Hope you are enjoying Cleveland, Natalie - it’s a great city!
Amy
If you’re into Italian, may I recommend that you head down to Cleveland’s Little Italy for dinner (or lunch). There is a wonderful little place called Mama Santa’s that has the best chicken cacciatore that I have ever tasted! They also lay claim to “Best Pizza in Cleveland” this year (and several other years).

Hi Amy,
Once I left medical school, I vowed not to eat anymore pizza unless it it being provided free by a drug rep. We ate so much pizza that I can’t stand the taste of anything with red sauce on dough. (If the food is free, I won’t turn it down.)
I am not a huge fan of microbrews. I have really tended not to drink any alcohol out of my house unless I am sure that I am not going to drive. I have been quite anal about not touching EtOH (outside of home). I guess I am just one of those “unsophisticated” folks who tends to like the cheap stuff and tends to like it out of my own fridgie.
Have been looking of a good Vietnamese restaurant. Since I came from Arlington, Va, I may not be able to find such a thing in Cleveland. I love the multiple textures of Vietnamese cooking. I am also a fan of Thai. Again, I have tended to leave the Italian alone but I may have to make an exception if Little Italy is great. I haven’t had much of a chance to get down there. (It’s on my list of things to try).
I have found several cheap flights from Cleveland to National Airport so I will be coming back to DC for some much needed “R & R”. I guess, once a Washingtonian, always a Washingtonian. While I love things about Cleveland, I do miss Capitol Hill and the neighborhood dives. I also miss the Ethiopian food. Will be heading back to DC for an infusion of this stuff too!
Natalie

Nat,
If its Vietnamese you like, you need to be in Richardson/Garland, Texas!! It’s a little Vietnam! I love the fresh spring rolls, the pho…!!! I love Thai too, and make a mean Pad Thai (my fave!)
Kathy

Quote:

Nat,
If its Vietnamese you like, you need to be in Richardson/Garland, Texas!! It’s a little Vietnam! I love the fresh spring rolls, the pho…!!! I love Thai too, and make a mean Pad Thai (my fave!)
Kathy

Kathy,
It is said that great minds think alike. I think Pad Thai is a little bit of “heaven on earth”. I love the stuff too and I always ask them to make it hot native style. Most places have been happy to oblige.
The one good restaurant that Charlottesville had was a great Thai place who happily posted a “Wall of Flame”. A couple of us made it onto that wall but one of the respiratory therapists at UVA sat in the top position. His father was Thai! No fair! He was a great guy. We always talked about cooking and eating.
After surgery, the number one discussion of surgeons is food. You are giving me a reason to visit Richardson, TX
Natalie

Nat,
I can talk food all day long. This area is great for food. Tons of good restaurants of all types, Lebanese, Ethiopian, GREAT dim sum (another fave of mine!), Moroccan, etc, etc. I like it hot too! I always keep a bottle of Sri Racha chili sauce at home!! Go through a large bottle a month!
Kathy