Texas fresh start program

Does anyone know anything about Texas’s fresh start program. I am considering applying to UT-Austin and envoking fresh start. From what they have told me it is designed for non traditional students that did not do well in their previous college years and would like to apply to professional school with a clean slate.

Any info would be helpful. If anyone has info on living in Austin, Texas and Houston I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!

http://www.collegefortexans.com/applying/academic…

I have never heard of this but a brief read of the website includes

“Admissions staff for master’s, doctoral, or other professional degree programs at public universities shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under Academic Fresh Start, along with any other criteria the institution uses in evaluating applicants for admission into the postgraduate or professional program.

Credits and G.P.A. earned prior to the student’s Academic Fresh Start will not be used to evaluate applicants for admission into the postgraduate or professional program.”

However, it also includes

“The final authority on applying or interpreting Texas Education Code 51.931, Right to an Academic Fresh Start is the Director of Admissions at the college or university where you are planning to enroll.”

definitely some input from admissions officers at Texas schools is needed on this

I think you’ve basically received all the info available on it.

I looked at it when I started this journey towards medical school and decided not to do it as it would have wiped out some physics credits and I really didn’t want to take physics again.

I don’t know your situation and wouldn’t presume to advise you on what course to take…all I can say is this: I’m finishing up my 2nd year in med school now having been admitted with a 3.0 from DeVry, prereqs from a community collge with between 2-4 F’s (I forget which) on my record. The sun dial moved back 3 degrees the day I was admitted. If you’re supposed to be there, you’ll be there…

The sundial or the doomsday clock? :wink: hehe…

Having done my 2nd trip to UGrad world at UTDallas, I can vaguely recall some of the pro’s & con’s of this system. Essentially, if you meet their criteria, all grades over a specific age are removed from your transcript as it applies to Texas state-supported programs ONLY. The upside is a clean slate. The downside is that all coursework over a certain will be gone - you will have to retake it, if you need it. Also, this grade-pruning ONLY applies to TX state-supporting programs. None of the out-of-state programs nor in-state private programs are bound to honor the grade-polishing maneuver…they can if they wish to do so, but I would not hold my breath.

For those who may not know (myself included until a few minutes ago) Texas has its own centralized application service for in-state publicly funded medical, dental, and vet schools: the Texas Medical & Dental Schools Application Service (TMDSAS) (http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/). This includes 8 medical schools in Texas. It would seem that fresh start only applies to those schools. The final authority on applying or interpreting Texas Education Code 51.931, Right to an Academic Fresh Start is the Director of Admissions at the college or university where you are planning to enroll. Some combined programs listed on the TMDSAS site specifically require AMCAS in addition to TMDSAS.

Definitely need a Texas Medical School Officer’s opinion on all this

This is my first post here in this forum.

Mommadoc,

I see that you are from Louisiana. If you decide that you would like to invoke Fresh Start Provision, please be sure to qualify as a resident first.

I figure you know this. But I would hate to see you have problems by not being qualified as a Texas Resident first.

• gonnif Said:
For those who may not know (myself included until a few minutes ago) Texas has its own centralized application service for in-state publicly funded medical, dental, and vet schools: the Texas Medical & Dental Schools Application Service (TMDSAS) (http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/). This includes 8 medical schools in Texas. It would seem that fresh start only applies to those schools. The final authority on applying or interpreting Texas Education Code 51.931, Right to an Academic Fresh Start is the Director of Admissions at the college or university where you are planning to enroll. Some combined programs listed on the TMDSAS site specifically require AMCAS in addition to TMDSAS.

Definitely need a Texas Medical School Officer's opinion on all this

I spoke to admission counselor at UT Austin while back. Invoking Fresh Start did not seem to be a major deal except the fact that we have to sign a contract type thing that says "by signing, you understand what you are signing up for."

I also spoke to someone at TMDSAS while back. What the person told me is that, those medical schools that use TMDSAS for application process, will not see any coursework older than 10 years old from the time that Fresh Start Program was invoked because they remove them before application is forwarded to those medical schools.

I am planning on using this Fresh Start provision because I graduated from my undergraduate coursework in mechanical engineering from a small engineering program with 2.25 cumulative GPA and many Ds and Fs. I have determined that if I pull all A's for the next 4 years as a Post-Bac, I can get 3.1 by the time I am finished. So I am going to utilize any help I can get.

This brought me to the conclusion that I might as well get another degree in 4 years and have a fresh start because, with my GPA, I will at least have a better shot at schools in Texas. So I am planning on getting a second degree from UT Austin in Nutritional Science.

If I get the best grades and GPA I can, I will have much better shot in Texas while improving my GPA for those med schools that use AMCAS.

Since all my course work are older than 10 years old, I am in the process of getting into Texas State University-San Marcos to get my 30 credit that lets me transfer to UT Austin and be a Longhorn!!

I hope this helps.

Hello!

New to the boards here. Quick about me - lived in TX for about 5 years, currently in insurance - married and have a wonderful 3 month old son. I’m looking to start at UT Dallas this fall and considering going in under Fresh Start.

I have an abysmal UG GPA of 2.5 (from 3 different schools), B.S. in Psychology and 155 hours so working to bring that up to anything near respectable will take 4 years so I figure if I can get a clean start, it will definitely help and still take me 4 years.

I would LOVE any feedback you have regarding UT Dallas, advisor to look for (who gives good advice ) feed back on profs, etc. Its been about 13 years since I started school and 5 since I finished my degree - so most of my jacked up grades would fall under the 10+ years in the Fresh Start.

Anyways, sorry so long - but thanks for reading and any feedback

All the best,

Anne

I loved UTDallas! Even more pertient, I felt well prepared for medical school due, in part, to my UTD education. Be aware up front, it is a tough school & they will push you to your limit, but in the end, it is well worth it.

My degree, BS, is in neuroscience, which I thought/still think was an excellent preparatory route. I was in either the 2nd or 3rd group to come out of there with a BS in NS. I was recently perusing the UTD alumni site & the NS program appears to have grown tremendously in size & in quality. My degree manager was Dr. Larry Cauller. He is a brilliant neuroscientist & a great guy to work with - has long hair, wears Birks, tattered jeans & tie-dye…what more could you want in a professor???

The pre-med advisor was, and may still be, Dr. Joe Wood. He is superb & is fairly well-versed in dealing with nontrads. He helped me a lot.

Awesome, my husband got his MBA there and enjoyed it as well.

I’m meeting with Dr. Scott Wright next Thursday - he came recommended from the admissions office at TCOM. He used to work in admissions at Southwestern as well - I’m totally stoaked.

I’m ready to be pushed to my limit - ready to ask for help when I need it and most importantly, ready to go to class regularly

The only bad thing is it is a bit more expensive than some of the other schools locally, but I hear its got a GREAT reputation for putting out quality pre-meds.

I’m really looking forward to getting my feet wet and kicking a$$ in classes and being a doctor (someday!).

Thanks for the info - take care and have a great weekend!

-Anne