Texas Hazelwood Exemption is a great option for Veterans..

As I began this journey, I did a lot of research and stumbled on a great opportunity for Veterans that entered the military from the state of Texas. THe Hazelwood exemption will exempt the veteran from paying any tuition up to 150 semester hrs. You can use the exemption for undergrad and/or graduate school, as long as you attend a Texas public institution. So, Baylor College of Medicine is out…BUt, all other medical school are public and a great way to get your tuition exempt…I plan on using it for sure…

Jobush,

How much do you know about Hazelwood? I’m a texas vet, definitely eligible for the benefits, BUT I’m living in VA right now…I know I have to be in TX for a year before they will pay my tuition, but I’m not sure how my “resident” status will effect my ability to collect hazelwood…??? If I don’t move back to TX a year prior to matriculation, I don’t get any in-state, for the duration, right? But can I still get Hazelwood? Thanks for your thoughts

RRCJ

Take a look at this website…It should answer your questions…

http://www.tvc.state.tx.us/BROCHURES/2007/2007-Ha z…

I believe residency is based on living in Texas for the past 12 months. So, if you live in Texas for 12 mos then your residency is Texas…right…

Hope this help…

Best Wishes…