Thank you for your input

Good evening everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I recently have committed to pursuing a career in medicine, hopefully Emergency Medicine. Before I continue further, let me add that I am 51 years old. Although I have always believed that a career in practicing medicine was in my heart, I elected to change my career path in college to Chemistry. I received my B.S and M.S in Chemistry and my doctoral work is in the field of neurochemistry. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a few years and then returned to academia as chemistry professor for 6 years and then switched to a career as an urban high school AP Chemistry and AP Physics teacher. I have always loved being a teacher, but equally have had the same passion and interest in medical science. My aspirations are to continue to serve as an ER physician in an urban high-needs hospital. I did take my MCAT and received a 522 and my undergrad and grad GPA’s are 3.4+. I also want to mention that I am very healthy and active. Here is my question; is my choice to pursue medicine futile at this point in my life? Did I make the choice too late in life to be able to serve the community as a good doctor?

• David