Thanx for your advice...need more!

Hi,

I’m pretty new here but just wanted to thank those of you that responded to my post last month titled “Eeek… Physics!” Your advice was very helpful; especially Mary’s. As it turns out, I decided to ‘buck up’ and give summer Physics everything I’ve got - although my first test score was a C; I ended up pulling an A out of the class in the end, so now I’m glad i didn’t give up and take the W! Anyhow, now I’m in Physics 2 and doing fine so thanks again!

Now… I’m planning on taking O Chem in the fall (trad. 16 week course) along with 3 other simple, non-science type classes which i need for my major. Is this about the maximum that should be attempted with O Chem? I’ve never taken a trad. long version science yet so I think that’s got to make it a little easier and i think I’ll like O Chem better then Gen Chem because I’m not a numbers person ( more abstract thinker) but I don’t want to be overwhelmed either. At the same time, I recently eliminated about half my work obligations and i need to take as many courses as i can do well. Granted no one knows me better than me, but how many hours per week would you think a traditional O Chem class requires for study time?

Christina

Future DO

• CWeaver Said:
Hi,

I'm pretty new here but just wanted to thank those of you that responded to my post last month titled "Eeek... Physics!" Your advice was very helpful; especially Mary's. As it turns out, I decided to 'buck up' and give summer Physics everything I've got - although my first test score was a C; I ended up pulling an A out of the class in the end, so now I'm glad i didn't give up and take the W! Anyhow, now I'm in Physics 2 and doing fine so thanks again!

Now... I'm planning on taking O Chem in the fall (trad. 16 week course) along with 3 other simple, non-science type classes which i need for my major. Is this about the maximum that should be attempted with O Chem? I've never taken a trad. long version science yet so I think that's got to make it a little easier and i think I'll like O Chem better then Gen Chem because I'm not a numbers person ( more abstract thinker) but I don't want to be overwhelmed either. At the same time, I recently eliminated about half my work obligations and i need to take as many courses as i can do well. Granted no one knows me better than me, but how many hours per week would you think a traditional O Chem class requires for study time?

Christina

Future DO

Hi Christina,

Actually from everything I have heard about Organic Chemistry (I'm taking it next Spring), it is not an easy class and will require a lot of time studying. So, taking it by itself (no other major science classes) is a good idea.

There is a great book that I purchased called Organic Chemistry - Second Language (not exact but if you put it into a search, it'll come up). Just slam it out of the park and get another A. I've heard on numerous occasions that doing well in organic chemistry is looked on favorably by med schools.

Kris (tina) too!