The first two years...can I make it?

Personally, I feel the first two years are the hardest for the non-trad student. Unless you’re a career academian, you’re most likely not used to sitting in a classroom listening to professors drone on about their topic of the day (We all remember that knowing the material well does not guarantee an individual to be an strong lecturer!). After lectures, you must muster the energy to review and digest all that was thrown at you that day…and retain it of course.

Amusingly, it appears that for the traditional student, the ones who have only gone to school and not lived a real life, the first two years are just like home to them. But, years 3 & 4, the ones where you have to interact with other humans and not just other med students & professors, are the more challenging for them.

My advice for succeeding in those first two years, esp the begining of year 1. Set your priorities…meaning set a rational hierarchy b/t grades, family, friends and personal time…and stick to it, for the most part. However, don’t be so rigid that you go nuts! In essence, you will need to select of level of academic performance that demonstrates adequate mastery of the material, but will not cause a divorce, you to go nuts or you to forget who your family & friends are.

The hardest part of this, esp for those of us who have been battling the “old grades” demon, is to remember that you are here, you made it and the spectre of shitty grades is no longer important! Relax, learn and enjoy where you are…its what you’ve been fighting to obtain for Lord knows how long – so cherish it!!!

You are no longer in competition with your classmates, although many of them will not believe this. Just absorb as much of the knowledge flung your direction as you can. You WILL NOT even come close to learning it all…just do the best that you can.

You, like everyone else, will fret that you don’t feel like you’re retaining anything. However, pay attention to your conversations. All of the sudden you’ll notice yourself saying things that you can’t believe you said, let alone understood and inserted, appropriately, into a cerebral conversation.

It is the same for everyone who takes this journey. If you are in med school – almost by definition, you are self-competitive and an academic over-acheiver. By your own nature and the programming of the system of selection, it is damned difficult to grant yourself some solace. But you can & I suggest that you do so. Your learning & retention will drastically improve if you simply focus on the materials you are trying to learn and not worrying about class rank. More than likely, you’ll find that workling under this cleaner mind-set, that your academics will be stronger than anticipated anyhow.

And, when ever you feel frustrated or simply need to vent…come here and bounce your sentiments off of folks who have been there and can empathize with your plight. I found immensly useful and relieving to talk to upperclassmen about what I was going through – and learning that they had felt the same way and had survived.

Take advantage of this forum…speak your mind and your feelings. And, if you wish to swap mneumonics, study tips, factoids…yaddah, yaddah, yaddah…feel free to do so here.

:biggrin:

Great advice. I wonder though, how we will be able to work with the younger students,especially if we have families. I was on a tour during one of my interviews and the students leading the tour were talking about coming to the anatomy lab in the middle of the night as a group to be able to work with their cadaver. I can’t come in the middle of the night at this point in my life (I have a 6 year old and 14 year old kid). This really has me worried about how I will juggle family and school. It definetely appears it will be harder than the undergraduate juggling I did.

I never stepped into an anatomy lab in themiddle of the night and did just fine. It all comes to learning to balance your priorities and worker smarter; not harder.

Your paper anatomy exams are generally over the “ideal” situation – meaning textbook & atlas stuff. the lab practicals cover the lab stuff.

Largely, it really comes to down balancing your priorities. Sure, I could have made better grades in the first two years…but it could have potentially cost me my marriage – not an acceptable option. I chose to accept somewhat lower grades, I still got into the DO-student honor society…barely, but preserved my marriage and my sanity. Your first two years grades are not what is emphasized by the residency selection committees. But, comfort with that knowledge certainly helps in years 3&4.

Performing well t/o med school is more about working hard & efficiently than just quantity of hours or your inherent smarts. Treat like a job and commit to x-amount of study time, daily. Then, when it is exam time – it requires less crunch time. You are being more efficient.

I rarely went to the anatomy lab other than required lab hours. I studied at home using my Netter and Rohen & Yokochi. A few days before the lab practical, an open lab was scheduled, we would go over everything on our checklist at that time. The night before the test I would go over my atlas again. Lab practicals are all about location. As long as you know what everything is attached to, you will be fine. I also used to draw out the vessels that were normally all bunched together, the abdominal vessels especially. Again, location, location, location, you know where it goes, you know what it is. You don’t need to be in the lab 24/7 to get it.
Just a side note, our anatomy lab used to be optional when my sister took it, 1 of her friends refused to go to lab, he only studied the atlas. He Aced every test, which used to piss her off. She thinks that the dept got upset because the next year, there was mandatory lab.
So, don’t worry about not spending a lot of time in the lab, you will do fine without that experience.

I found that the students going into the lab at midnite were the generally the one’s who were cramming (read: unable or unwilling to manage their time appropriately). I think that this year is all about that: time management. I am also finding that the older the student = better time management and “lower” stress level.

I do have to admit tho, I can’t wait until rotations. With my “former life” clinical experiences, I know my comfort level will increase tremendously!

Kat :D

Well, maybe I am not understanding how anatomy lab works. I thought that a group of students is assigned a cadaver. Then, togther they dissect it part by part. They work togther and all work is shared.

So what if the other 3 people deceide to work after lab hours, are they just reviewing or are they doing new work that I will miss out on?

Amy

Lab is like you said, set up where 5-6 people are assigned to one cadeaver. After hours is time to review your checklist if you want. However, there are a few gunners that will come in after hours to get ahead or clean up the field. I never really saw the point because there was no grade on how well you dissected. I think that they were surgeon want-to-be’s.

Quote: from RWankum on 6:30 pm on Jan. 7, 2002
However, there are a few gunners that will come in after hours to get ahead or clean up the field. I never really saw the point because there was no grade on how well you dissected. I think that they were surgeon want-to-be's.

Howdy Rachel!

Oh my God! I certainly hope this isn't a bad sign (you know, that I might 'surrender and go surgeon'). For some reason, I really got some sort of satisfaction from clean dissections. It drove me crazy to see our brachial plexi all nasty and crude-ladden. Of course, I quickly got over that problem when it came to the neck!

Actually, the main reason I ended up in the lab after hours was to quiz myself on all the bold (testable) terms in my dissector.

Take care,
Jeff

what happens when you didnt do well in a course, do they let you go on or just make it up? Im curious because I didnt do well in the mammalian physiology course that I just took. Thanks

Quote: from Bill on 6:31 pm on Jan. 8, 2002
what happens when you didnt do well in a course, do they let you go on or just make it up? Im curious because I didnt do well in the mammalian physiology course that I just took. Thanks

No worries. If you are not doing well in a class, see the professor immediately. The faster you get in, the faster you can get the help you need. Our professors are great. We also have people that are willing to tutor. Personally, I find the people that are doing well, and ask them to explain difficult topics.

Quote: from Jeff698 on 6:23 pm on Jan. 8,

Oh my God! I certainly hope this isn't a bad sign (you know, that I might 'surrender and go surgeon').

Knowing you maybe a Trauma Surgeon :biggrin:

(Edited by RWankum at 6:49 pm on Jan. 9, 2002)

Quote: from Amy Beth on 12:26 pm on Jan. 6, 2002
Well, maybe I am not understanding how anatomy lab works. I thought that a group of students is assigned a cadaver. Then, togther they dissect it part by part. They work togther and all work is shared.

So what if the other 3 people deceide to work after lab hours, are they just reviewing or are they doing new work that I will miss out on?

Amy

You don't win points for actually doing the dissection, and a lot of times there is only room for one or two people to be working anyway. The others, if they are there, are reading from the dissector, or talking about the last biochem test, or wandering the room looking at other cadavers (maybe hoping to find one that isn't as big a mess as theirs!). By the time we got to head and neck (the last third of the course), I rarely went to lab during assigned times. I felt that I did at least my fair share of dissecting (for a non-procedure oriented person like me, it was a chore, not a pleasure), and so I didn't feel the least bit guilty if I didn't show up for lab on a given day. Each of our team of six blew off a good many of the labs. We still got our stuff done - though sometimes a few of us would arrange to do it at an alternative time.

It will vary from school to school, but at GWU the point of going at the assigned time was that there would be faculty members there to help you both with the mechanics of dissecting and with identifying structures. If you fell behind on the dissection assignments, you were simply expected to do them at some point. The feeling was, dissecting is a good learning experience and it is your responsibility to pursue it in a way that helps you learn. If that means going in alone at 4am (we heard about someone a few years ago who did that), fine. The bottom line is, whatever works for you.

Again, YMMV depending on the school. But the point is to do whatever you need to do to learn the material - not to complete the dissection assignment. The dissection is just a means to an end.

Quote: from RWankum on 10:53 am on Jan. 9, 2002
Quote:
Quote: from Jeff698 on 6:23 pm on Jan. 8,

Knowing you maybe a Trauma Surgeon :biggrin:

Ouch! Rachel, you've got to promise to come slap some sense into me if I even start thinking that! Afterall, the last time you did that, you convinced me to apply to medical school.

Take care,
Jeff

[/quote]Afterall, the last time you did that, you convinced me to apply to medical school.[/quote]

And look where you are today… If you had waited like you wanted to you would have been another year older before getting in ;)

Quote: from RWankum on 9:31 am on Jan. 13, 2002

And look where you are today... If you had waited like you wanted to you would have been another year older before getting in ;)

You are SO right. That Kaplan review book upside my head worked wonders. Well worth the price of the CT scan. :)

Take care,
Jeff

Quote: from Amy Beth on 3:16 pm on Jan. 3, 2002
I was on a tour during one of my interviews and the students leading the tour were talking about coming to the anatomy lab in the middle of the night as a group to be able to work with their cadaver. I can't come in the middle of the night at this point in my life (I have a 6 year old and 14 year old kid). This really has me worried about how I will juggle family and school. It definetely appears it will be harder than the undergraduate juggling I did.

Hi there,
You really don't have to come into the Gross Anatomy lab in the middle of the night unless you want the experience of formaldehyde at midnight. There are plenty of hours during the daylight and on weekends that you can get your practical studying done.

I had a friend who had two sons that she was raising as a single mom. They were ages 7 and 8. When she came in on the weekend we all took turns hanging out with the boys while Mom studied. It was a nice break from studying for us and they boys were great. That gave her some time to concentrate on the cadaver. Ask some of your classmates who have children if you can take turns watching the kids while you study. You will be surprised at the response and some of the young singles get a kick out of playing aunt or uncle for an couple of hours. Again, maybe Howard is different, but folks are generally more than willing to help others especially if you let them know that you need them. Stefanie my friend with the two boys baked cookies for us during exam week as a thank-you.

Find a couple of folks who have a similar study style to you and quiz each other. Better still, find a person who seems to have a gift for identifying the minute structures and hang with them. I always found it good practice to spend time with folks who were struggling. It helped both of us.

Preview in the atlas before you dissect. Have a good plan and a roadmap of where you are going and what you are likely to see (get this from the dissector). Systematically identify your structures paying close attention to nearby landmarks. Review the structures on other bodies with permission of their owners.

Review the week's work on the weekend for a couple of hours. You should not need overnight study sessions if you have been keeping up with your dissections and studying on a daily basis. Much of your study can be done outside the lab with the atlas and dissector. Surface anatomy can be done on your kids or spouse.

Have fun with the learning!