The frustration begins

I know this will probably only be the first in many situations that will drive me nuts by the time I’m through with this, but right now I have to vent. I’m finishing up my next-to-last semester in nursing school right now and it looks like I’ll have another 4.0. In this program, third semester is supposed to be killer and a 4.0 is all but impossible. I don’t know of anyone else firsthand who has ever pulled all A’s. So I’m /very/ proud of this. I waited until I was reasonably sure that it was going to happen before I broached the topic of taking a course overload next semester with the dean of our college. To take Chem II next semester I’ll have 19 hours so the dean has to approve this. Well, of course she called me into her office and told me she had grave concerns and tried to talk me into forgetting medical school and going into advanced practice nursing. I was expecting that. But she eventually did agree to sign the approval for me. I took five classes for a total of 18 hours my first semester of nursing school and got a 4.0. Next semester I’ll only be taking 4 classes for a total of 19 hours. I know it will be tough but I really feel confident that I can do it. It’s supposed to be the relatively easiest semester of the nursing program here.

So everything is fine. I get my approval, sign up for classes and I’m really excited. Then the professor from next semester visits one of our classes and talks about next semester and afterwards I talk to her for just a second to see how I will work out doing clinicals. She then tells me that they only do clinicals Wed., Thurs., and Fri during the day and since Chem lecture is MWF and lab is Wed. afternoon, it will be a /huge/ problem.

AArgh. So for every other semester when they’ve only scheduled us on weekends and overnights, suddenly this semester they’ll only do clinicals during the week??!! WTF? She didn’t have much time to talk to me then but told me to e-mail her. I did so about a week and a half ago and still no response. Of course it is the end of the semester and she’s involved with the graduating seniors so I’m not going to panic yet, but I’m so frustrated. Required clinical hours translate into about five 12-hour shifts. If I have to miss a Chem lecture or two I can live with that. I’m primarily a book learner anyway. I guess I just want to hear that this too shall pass. I’m so annoyed by this nursing program so far that I want to scream. And I’m DYING to take a science class again.

Sigh

I’ll live, I know.

Jesse

Sounds frustrating - but congrats to you for doing so well so far! After all the challenges you’ve already overcome… what’s one more, right?

Thanks! True, true. I’m sure it will work out one way or another but UT Tyler doesn’t offer a summer Chem II so if I don’t take it next semester I’d have to take it at our community college or tack another year on my plans. I know most people would say just take another year and I would if I didn’t feel like they were just being nit picky to make this hard for me. When I’ve actually worked with instructors and gotten to explain why I really won’t be happy unless I become a physician, they’ve been very supportive. But the ones that don’t know me well just hear the words ‘medical school’ and give me dirty looks. They don’t even try to hide it. I’ve gotten the, “Why would you want to do that?” disgusted look several times so far. Maybe I’m just being paranoid. I know this won’t be the worst thing I have to deal with in the years ahead by far. I’m going to try to just breathe and let it roll off my shoulders. Anyone else get that feeling from people that once you’ve screwed up, no matter what you do from that point on, you’ll still not be taken seriously?

Ms. Jesse Girl,

What other prerequisites do you need for medical school? If you still have to take physics, etc., maybe you can just slide Chem II in with it in a later semester. Just a thought. Good luck–and congratulations on being so close to finishing your nursing program!

by the way I hope this is the last time you have to put up with such negative attitudes towards medical school. Sounds like some of them have a chip on their shoulder about it, but it’s not your problem, it’s theirs.

You’ll be fine. I would send her a second e-mail or call her just to follow up. Sure, she’s busy with seniors, but that also means she’s likely to forget about your problem. I’m sure you can get through this, though.

Thanks so much. It’s nice to be able to see the light at the end of /one/ tunnel at least. I would try to slide it in, but at this particular university you have to finish both semesters of organic before you can take micro or biochem so regardless of what else I have, it will take me two years from whenever I take Chem II to finish all my stuff. I’m taking Biochem because I want to go to UTSA so there I am. Plus I guess a little part of me is wondering how I’ll do in Organic with its reputation for separating the girls from the women, so to speak.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out. And if I don’t hear from her by the end of next week I’m going to pester her again. Wish me luck.

Jesse

• msjessegirl Said:
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out. And if I don't hear from her by the end of next week I'm going to pester her again. Wish me luck.

Jesse, I hope it works out for you! I think it was pretty poor form for the advisor to encourage you in this discussion without breathing any word of how the schedule would be so challenging. I have a hard time believing that they didn't have all that information at the time you were having your discussions, and it is one more strike against this department whose performance has certainly not impressed me. (I am indignant on your behalf! Does it help?! )

Anyway, do NOT wait until the end of the week (i.e. Dec. 15) to contact her again. I know, I know, it's exams and all that but professors are just like students... as soon as exams are done, it's time to pack up and head outta Dodge, at least figuratively. An e-mail sent Dec. 15 could get an auto-reply "I'll be back in the office on January 4," ugh, you don't want that!

Don't be shy about "pestering." You are proposing that you meet ALL their requirements for your nursing degree at some cost to YOU, not them. Bother them some more!

Mary

Oh unfortunately almost no one has been encouraging in my attempts, but then again I had braced myself for it. In a way I guess they have a right with the nursing shortage and me taking up space and all but I /am/ going to work as an RN for at least three years while I’m doing my pre-med stuff and applying. I just can’t help that I realized I don’t belong in nursing until after I started the program. At least I’m following through with something finally.

But, on the good news front, I got an e-mail from the professor today saying that I’ll just have to take all the Thursday clinicals and then I’ll have 18 hours leftover to make up on Wednesday’s or Fridays. So worst case scenario I’ll have to miss 3 or 4 one-hour Chem lectures. But we’re a go. Everytime I start to think this might be too much work and I should give up this ridiculous dream, something pops up that reminds me why it is a dream of mine in the first place.

I can’t tell you all what it means to have a forum like this. Ya’ll make this unbearable process bearable. Thanks!!

Jesse

Final grades are in!! I did it! 4.0 in all three courses. Now I feel better about the whole 19 hour thing next semester. I’ve got my chemistry book and have already started reading the first chapters to refresh my memory since I took Chem I all the way back in 2000. I’m so excited I can hardly stand it! Thus the overabundance of exclamation points. Anyway, thanks again to everyone who has put up with self-doubtful whining. Word of warning, though, I can’t promise it won’t raise its ugly head over and over again throughout this process. Thanks to everyone.

Jesse

Way to go, Jesse!

Jesse, way to go. You’re right, this is a big boost as you enter next semester. You sound like you have just the right attitude. Some degree of self-doubt and whining is expected, and we’re here to listen. Congratulations!

Mary

good job!!!

Blessings