The Journey Begins - A few questions...

Hello everyone! I’m also new to the site, and like so many others, I’m thrilled to have found it. I’ll try to make this quick. I’m 26, and graduated in 2004 from Lafayette College, a pretty strong liberal arts school - double major in Economics & Environmental GeoScience. My intention on day 1 was to satisfy all my prereqs and eventually attend medical school… but again, like so many others, I got spun around, listened to too many of my friends, bla bla, you all know the drill. I try to tell myself that I have no regrets, because I made the decision at the time that seemed to make sense, and now I just have to take the necessary steps. Undergrad GPA was 3.54. I just applied to a post bac program at a local state school, and although I have not yet been formally admitted, I’ve managed to register for Gen Chem 1 and Gen Bio, both with labs, starting in January.

Two major questions/ concerns:

1.) I’m wondering how much I’ll be able to work throughout these pre-reqs. Admitedly, I have a major tendency to stress myself out about things (anything, really…), so I don’t want to stretch myself thin by trying to work too much. Thankfully, my parents have been very supportive and they’re willing to lend me some money where I fall short. Additionally, I studied relatively hard in undergrad (but probably could have done better since I lived in a frat) and ended up with a 3.54. I’m not sure how I’ve changed, so I’m hoping things will work out and my grades for these pre-reqs will end up higher.

2.) I’ve basically had 2 jobs since college. First, I worked as an account manager for a software company that managed clinical trials for pharma companies. For the past year and a half, I’ve been in commercial real estate. Truthfully, real estate was always another interest of mine, but I’ve learned that this is better suited to a part-time endeavor, once I get through the med school marathon. Question is this: I do not have a lot of volunteer experience, aside from volunteering for the past year (and currently) for my local borough on the Parks and Recreation commission. What are the best options as far as shoring up this portion of my application? I also intend to use this as an opportunity to learn more about the medical field, and to make sure that this is the path that I want to follow. If I start volunteering in January, and apply to med school in Summer of '10, will this volunteer work be sufficient?

I look forward to comments, and appreciate any help! Again, great site, and pumped to have found it. I still feel a little goofy chasing this dream to become a doctor. My friends think I’m crazy. I have days when I agree with them, and I haven’t even started! Only live once, right?

Welcome, Jesse. I’ll briefly address your questions. Some people can easily handle working full time while they take their science pre-reqs. Myself, having worked FT while finishing my BS, I recognized that I’m not one of those people. I went PT at my job working 12 to 20 hours per week during my informal post-bac which I planned for 2 years and finished in 1 1/2. I sacrificed a lot, but it was worth it. My GPA improved just when I needed it to, and, perhaps more importantly, I and my family all learned what life is like when I’m a full-time student.

Second, if you are applying for admission in 2010 you have plenty of time to gather volunteer hours. Just budget your time - get some hours but don’t burn yourself out either. Seek clinical experiences. Some popular options are shadowing Drs in their practices, volunteering (or working as a tech) in the ER, or volunteering at free clinics. Choose options where you won’t be relegated exclusively to sorting charts or changing sheets - some of that’s okay as long as it accompanies real learning opportunities.

Thanks for the response! I suppose my ‘questions’ were a bit vague, so I can understand the lack of replies.

I’m planning to work approximately 15 or so hours per week to start.

Also, does this schedule look doable? I can certainly understand the suggestion to take as much time as needed to complete the pre-med work, but I also feel very strongly about getting through these classes sooner than later. I’m only 26, but as with everone else on this site, I have legitimate concerns about how this whole process will overlap my early and mid 30’s, a period of time when anyone would expect to get married (if you’re not already), and start a family. This has really been my biggest battle. My girlfriend has been supportive so far, but it’s still very easy to paint a discouraging/ gloom and doom picture in your head. Any comments on how to balance all this would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, on to the schedule:

Spring '09:

Gen Bio w/ Lab

Gen Chem I w/ Lab

Summer '09:

Session 1: Gen Chem II w/ Lab

Session 2: Physics I w/ Lab

Fall '09:

Statistics

Orgo I w/ Lab

Physics II w/ Lab

Genetics

Spring '10:

Orgo II w/ Lab

Microbio

Cell Physio?

Something else?

**STUDY FOR AND TAKE MCAT IN APRIL & APPLY

One more question: Is statistics beneficial for the MCAT? I took this class second semester of undergrad (8 years ago), so it’s long gone but I did pretty well I believe. No problem taking it if it will help, but I don’t see a need if not…

I know this schedule will not be easy by any means, but does it look manageable?

Thank you, Thank you. Any other comments appreciated!

• jbrandfass Said:
/snip

Anyway, on to the schedule:

Spring '09:

Gen Bio w/ Lab

Gen Chem I w/ Lab

Summer '09:

Session 1: Gen Chem II w/ Lab

Session 2: Physics I w/ Lab

Fall '09:

Statistics

Orgo I w/ Lab

Physics II w/ Lab

Genetics

Spring '10:

Orgo II w/ Lab

Microbio

Cell Physio?

Something else?

I compared what you are taking vs. what I'm starting with and they are similar. My physiology advisor reviewed my course load and the biggest difference I see is Calculus and Calc based physics.

My course load is slightly skewed from many I've seen on here as my aim is different. I NEED to prove that I'm capable of handling the courses in med school. FOR ME, it makes sense to get a 2nd bachelor's degree (more for my own confidence level than med school admissions applications because as others have pointed out, the app does not bifurcate the different undergraduate degree GPAs). Also, I'm taking a foreign language class unless I can pass the fluency test for German (which I could at one point, not sure anymore).

For YOU, this schedule and course load may be overkill but I'm tossing it out there just for reference.

For me:

Spring 2009

Gen Bio w/lab

Base Chem w/out lab

College Algebra (possibly, but I might just take 2 classes, get a 4.0 and hold off on Alg until summer)

Summer 2009

Gen Chem 1 w/lab

Algebra or Pre-calc (it's been 27 years since I had formalized math)

Fall 2009

Gen Chem 2 w/lab

Pre-calc or Calc 1

Spring 2010

Org Chem 1 w/lab

Calc 1 or 2

Physics 1 (if Calc 1 taken in fall 2009)

Biology - upper division (evolution or zoology)

Summer 2010

Org Chem 2 w/lab

Physics 1 or 2

Fall 2010

BioChem

Physiology w/lab

Physiology Research

Physics 2 OR Genetics (if physics 1 taken in summer, I'll complete physics sequence here)

German 1

Spring 2011

Micro

German 2

MCAT PREP

Summer 2011

Immunology

German 3

Fall 2011

Physiology Internship/Research

Upper division biology

German 4

Spring 2012

Upper division bio

relax before med school (I hope!!)

Interesting. I don’t think I could handle an entire, second bachelors, but kudo’s to you. I have given some thought to the math though. It’s amazing how quickly your math skills evaporate. I don’t think anyting on the MCAT is calc based, right?

Jesse,

It’s not quite an entire 2nd BA, thankfully, but close. At 44, I feel/believe I need to do it this way. That’s why my caveat that it might not, probably will not, make sense for most.

My last formal class was in 1989. I’m only half-time pre req, pre med student for most of the semesters with only one or two semesters full time. This first semester I’m working part time to see how it goes; most important to me is getting a 4.0 out of the gate and never looking back.

Not sure on the MCAT. Others who have already taken it, matriculated, and/or are licensed can probably better answer that.

For the U of MN, and most of the schools I reviewed pre reqs for, calc is required as is calc based physics. Just depends on where you’re looking at going.

Hello:

I’m enrolled in a post-bac program at Penn State Brandywine. In fact, I visit your area twice a month to take tests and perform labs! The program is intense and those of us taking the courses are all working full-time. The program is a year long at this point, but they are considering lengthening the time for future cohorts. You may want to check them out.

Search this site because there are references from others about how they took classes without the formality of a post-bac program. Your plan looks good!

Good luck to you in your endeavors!

I guess my program works out to a year and 5 months or so. Hopefully I can make ends meet throughout all this! I am definately a bit aprehensive about Chem though. Man, I dislike chem.

Thanks for all the comments.

Jesse,

Regarding your question about Statistics, it will not be covered on the MCAT. However, medical schools are increasingly encouraging Stats - some preferring it over Calc. The reason is that a solid working knowledge of how research data is analyzed is helpful in critically evaluating clinical trials and journal articles. This is a crucial skill in healthcare today as virtually all “new” clinical information is funded by one interest or another. Some of it is funded by government or non-profit organizations, but the majority of clinical research is supported by corporations who stand to gain profit based on the outcomes. Recognizing merits and flaws in research methods and statistical analyses help clinicians pick apart the spin in order to make the most informed decisions.

Funny you should talk about stats. As I write this, I’m listening to a biostatistics lecture (Med1) and wishing I wasn’t so rusty with my statistics . I don’t think the course will be directly applicable to the MCAT, but the approach that it takes and the understanding it engenders will be useful for the exam, school, and (in my opinion/understanding) practice as well.

again… thanks for all the comments.