the score

no runs, no hits, one hit-by-a-pitch but got picked off.
I'll be filling out a new appl this June.

Oh Lisa, this is so wrong. What are these adcoms thinking?
Susan - Chicago
PS - A sports quote. I hope it gives you some small comfort.
“I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” Michael Jordan

I second all of that.

Damn it. That sucks. I was really expecting a different outcome. Keep on keeping on, Lisa–best of luck in the next round.
joe

Lisa,
This is one I can truly empathize with. Last year I went through pretty much the same thing; 2 waitlists, no acceptances. And I still don't really know why.
But I can tell you that you are not alone. Many, many med students have to apply more than once. We have several members, myself included, who applied two, three, or even more times.
What you need to do now is give yourself a little time to get over the shock and disappointment. Then contact the schools where you were rejected and ask for an appointment to speak to the director of admissions, or even the Dean of the school. Try to find out where your weak points were and what you can do to correct them. I know that when I asked these questions, it was always the same. I had one really bad semester with 2 B- and even a C+ after my husband's stroke; the same time during which I took the MCAT and my brother, who lives with us, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. The adcoms all said they were concerned whether or not I could handle the material. So, I went back for my last year of classes and accumulated 34 more hours, with all but 3 being A's (and that 3 was a political science course in which I got a B+).
And I rewrote my personal statement for this year's application cycle, continued working in the research lab for which I am proud to say I will soon be published, and became even more active with OPM, serving as Chair of the Projects and Planning Committee. I think the grades got me the interviews this year, and those classes led to even better letters of recommendation. And, my bosses at work continued to impress upon me the importance of self-confidence, which I think came through much stronger in my interviews. And, being a proud member of OPM seemed to make an impression at several of my interviews, especially the one here at WVSOM.
The next thing to do as you prepare to reapply is to consider how many schools you apply to. If you are fairly flexible, then consider spreading a wider net. I know I applied to 23 this year, both D.O. and M.D., receiving secondaries from most, and interview invitations from 9 or 10. I only went to three interviews, was accepted by the first school I applied to, waitlisted at the other two. Because I loved WVSOM, I went ahead and cancelled my other interviews.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is don't give up! It is really frustrating to think that you have done everything possible to make yourself a good candidate, and I think you probably have, but the more important thing to concentrate on is finding some way to make your package even better.
I hope you'll be able to attend the conference in D.C. this year. You will find a lot of support and enthusiasm, as well as guidance and advice that you may find invaluable as you continue on your chosen path.

Hey Lisa,
Go back and read Dave's quote from T. Roosevelt. Read it a couple of time and meditate on it. After that, start planning your strategy for next year. Everything happens for a reason and there is a reason for everything that happens. This wasn't your year to enter medical school. You are going to have more experience next year. It's not your timing but for some unknown reason, this wasn't your time.
I have found that with every dissappointment, I learn something about myself. I also find that things usually work out for the best. You have every reason to be proud that you got as far as you did. Many folks did not even get an interview. You know that you going to be a good physician, you just don't know when at this point.
As Linda said above, make some changes and get into fighting shape again. You have experience behind you at this point and you have some interview saavy! Use them to your advantage. This whole career is a process and there is much to be learned at every step.
I am sorry that things didn't work out for you this year but I am sure that you are going in. I can't tell you how many of my classmates applied a second and third time but made it through and are now finishing up internship. Hang in there and know that all of us are totally behind you! We know that those medical schools missed out on having an excellent student for the incoming year!
Natalie

Lisa, I’m so sorry to hear this! Do call some of the med schools and see if you can get some feedback on what they thought was the problem. The season is winding down for a bit, and you should be able to get some answers from them. Also, when you reapply, they will be looking for “what’s new and improved” in your application.
Hang in there!
Judy