The Waiting is Making Me Crazy!

Hello friends!

It’s been ages since I posted, simply because my life is so boring! I wait and wait and wait-- I was rejected everywhere I applied EXCEPT I have been wait-listed at Mt. Sinai and Stony Brook. I have sent them so much supplementary material (updated grades, new recommendations, etc) that a very nice gentleman from Mt. Sinai wrote to me to say, “We get it – you’re interested, we’ll get back to you!”

It is highly likely that I will have to reapply, I realize, but when I think about the prospect of spending all that money again, I start to hyperventilate. Well, it is in the hands of the Lord. I’m just trying to keep a positive attitude.

Yours truly,

Matt

Matt,

Hang in there. There’s a reason the waitlists are compiled, and MANY people come off those lists and become just another medical student like everyone else.

The gentleman’s response to all your supplementary material was HILARIOUS! You’ve definitely made an impression, and from the sound of it, a very positive one.

Speaking as someone who applied 3 times before they got an acceptance, I feel your pain. It’s no fun to wait nor to start up the application process again. Hang in there, the waiting is the worst part.

How many places did you apply to? Care to share your stats? If not publicly you can send me a PM…I’s nervous curious.

I think it was about 15 schools… what stats would you like to know?

Matt,

I hope you’ll hear soon from this school and it will be an acceptance! Don’t loose your hope yet. People have been accepted just few days before the beginning of the school.

Did you talk to the other schools why they rejected you? Your stats were great! So that wasn’t the problem. But just in case you need to apply again (hepefully not!) you’ll have to know where was the problem and how to deal with it.

I’m going to apply this summer. The MCAT’s restults haven’t been posted yet, but I know that I’m not going to be anywhere near your score. My GPA is not 4.0 (but it’s close)…normaly I would thing that I’m in a pretty good shape, but when I think about you…I don’t even know what to expect.

I’m crossing my fingers (or holding my thumbs - like a Polish person would do ! ) for you to get in this year!!!

just the generic MCAT & GPA.

• croooz Said:
How many places did you apply to? Care to share your stats? If not publicly you can send me a PM.....I's nervous curious.

Croooz, I don't know if you meant me, but check out my profile on MDApps, #4652. It may not help you much because I'm very much of a special case. I had an horrible ugrad GPA due to some family problems, so I had to overcompensate in other areas...
  • RxnMan Said:
  • croooz Said:
How many places did you apply to? Care to share your stats? If not publicly you can send me a PM.....I's nervous curious.

Croooz, I don't know if you meant me, but check out my profile on MDApps, #4652. It may not help you much because I'm very much of a special case. I had an horrible ugrad GPA due to some family problems, so I had to overcompensate in other areas...

Good Lord, man... numbers or not, who on earth would deny you admission?

Ok, granted it's not that simple - just your accomplishments, to me, are very impressive.

MCAT:

Biology 10

Physics 12

Verbal 13T

GPA:

Undergrad: 3.7

Grad: 4.0

Premed postbacc: 4.0

I hope you get in this year! But always remember that it is not the end of the world to spend so much all over again. You have a lifetime to work and earn money. (although I hear you…it is soooo expensive!)

I am in my third year applying. Neither year was I accepted nor waitlisted. My undergrad GPA is bad too due to so long ago and a bad childhood/adolescence. (long story…i took 2 years from 1990-1992 of tech school, then from 1999-2004 I did “official” undergrad)

Best wishes

Man, that’s rough! More sympathetic with you I could not be. Your tenacity really inspires me and I wish you the best as well.

I want to change the topic to “Stop Waiting-- Starting Over”, but the new interface is so complex, I decided to try and split an atom instead

So I have decided, since I came closest to admission at Mt. Sinai, to apply there early decision for 2007, with an essay tailored toward how my circumstances are changing. All the areas of the AMCAS except for the Personal Statement are already finished, and I’ve ordered new transcripts for the gang at AMCAS.

I went to an interview for a volunteer gig at New York Presbyterian. Mindful of Ms. Colwell’s admonitions, I repeated over and over again that I had to be with sick and dying patients, not the “walking wounded”-- although I wouldn’t walk away from them if they needed my help. The guy was very positive about this and said that his volunteer interpreters get to work at every stage of the hospital game up to and including scrubbing into surgery to communicate with the patient the anestesiologist’s instructions.

The rejection part (which, with my luck, has to be present in everything I attempt this year) is that he was underwhelmed by my Dominican Spanish-to-English interpretation skills. (On the English-to-Spanish part of the test I did fine.) He liked me, however, and said there was a place for me there, if I spent the next month practicing and studying, which I am happy to do and have already started.

New York City is starting to exhaust me, there has to be a place in America where the offer of FREE LABOR does not provoke a series of hoops to jump through. However, I’m jumping through them happily.

Matt