Thinking about pre-med, need advice for moving forward

Let me first say this site is great. Second, I guess I should introduce myself and give some background. My name is Charles and I’m a junior at the University of South Florida, getting my Bachelor of Social Work degree. I love social work and being a “people person,” but I’m really intrigued by the challenge that medicine offers as well as being a big science fan. I’ve taken all the usual med school pre-reqs (except biochem) and have a 3.7 GPA in those (A’s in chem and bio, a B or three in the physics and calculus). I haven’t taken the MCAT yet. Oh, and I should probably mention that I’m a little more interested in osteopathy, but I’d pretty much go anywhere that would take me. One of my major concerns is that not being a science major, I have no research experience or anything to really gloat about other than good grades in those basic courses. Is this sufficient to impress an admissions committee? How much do they really look at preparation beyond the basic pre-reqs? My “clinical experience” consists of a couple years work as a pharmacy technician (if that even counts) and probably about 400 hours of volunteer work in two different free clinics, and an upcoming internship for my BSW with an agency/clinic helping to manage cases of people with HIV and other chronic illnesses (that will be 500 hours). Also, I’m a little concerned that because my undergrad degree is in a professional field that this will be frowned upon (it’s been my impression that med schools prefer to take liberal arts/pure science majors over people already molded into one professional mindset such as nursing or pharmacy, etc.). I should probably also mention that I attended one small 4-year college for a semester, withdrew, finished my AA, travelled for about a year, and then started USF, leaving some serious gaps in the last couple years (I’m 21, graduated high school early at 17). I see this as being my major “explaining point” in any interview. Besides preparing for and doing well on the MCAT, does anyone have any advice or insight as to where I stand? Have I tarnished my history/transcript with more than a few educational gaps and withdrawal grades from courses early on?

Some schools emphasize research more than others. I got into my school with exactly zero research. Your grades are good, and your volunteer experience looks pretty darn adequate to me. Lots of non-science majors get admitted to med school every year, and I just had a couple of electives past the pre-reqs (genetics and biochem), which I took during the “glide year”. I think you’re on the right track, actually.

One big gap and one semester of withdrawal is manageable if you can explain why you did what you did in a sensible way and if you have consistently great performance since then.

I just want to echo what Denise said. Your experience looks great and I don’t think the social work major will be a detriment. Don’t stress the research experience. It’s helpful, but not necessary. I also had zero research, a non-science major and only two science classes beyond the pre-reqs.

Welcome and good luck!

• samenewme Said:
Some schools emphasize research more than others. I got into my school with exactly zero research. Your grades are good, and your volunteer experience looks pretty darn adequate to me. Lots of non-science majors get admitted to med school every year, and I just had a couple of electives past the pre-reqs (genetics and biochem), which I took during the "glide year". I think you're on the right track, actually.

One big gap and one semester of withdrawal is manageable if you can explain why you did what you did in a sensible way and if you have consistently great performance since then.

I agree with 100% of this and I too think you are looking really good.

Go getem!