This is me

Another intro/advice post - new blood keeps the place fresh
My name is Adam. I’m 26, with a BS in Cognitive Science from Carnegie Mellon, and I’ve worked in a variety of fields since graduating - most notably sleep deprivation research and mental health. From what I’m told, both of those are particularly pertinent to med school At this point, I feel like I have a fair bit of breadth for my age. Now I’m interested in true depth, and a strong part of me believes that med school is the right path for me.
To be blunt, I did well in high school (4.3 GPA, good SATs, etc.), then I screwed up in college (2.5). I simply didn’t apply myself. It’s taken me several years and twists and turns to get to where I am now: with a rekindled interest in my education and a burning desire to succeed. And I need to help people, so the medical field seems ideal.
Right now, I’m working full time (as the IS Clinical Coordinator at a Community Mental Health Center) and taking 3 classes at a community college. This is the first semester that I’ve been back to school since graduating, and while it’s “just” CC, I’m doing even better than I had expected - in terms of motivation, enjoyment, and success. In particular, I love Anatomy and Physiology, my grades reflect that, and the doctor teaching the class is strongly encouraging me to considercertain options. My plan until a few months ago was to pursue an accelerated BSN, but now old dreams of becoming a doctor are beginning to seem more plausible. Significant soul-searching and self-discovery over the last few years have pushed me here as well; I feel I want to do it, I believe I can do it, and I know that if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.
I’m almost a different person now than I was in college - not that uncommon, I’m sure. I’m living in Orlando, FL now, and my until-recently plans involved moving back to NJ after completing the BSN program. You could say that my living arrangements at the moment are flexible, which might open up more options. I do have some concerns about entering the med school track, though. My undergrad GPA was poor, and my science curriculum was limited (primarily cognitive applications of biochem; AP tests met most general requirements). I checked out a sample MCAT, and I’ll certainly need to brush up before trying it, if not learn things anew.
From the looks of things, my best option might be to pursue some post-bacc education to meet med school requirements. Further classwork at the CC might be doable (and allow me to work), but some posts here suggested against that route. It appears as if an RN to MD process is feasable - but that if I know I want to pursue an MD, it would pay to take the most direct route. What do you think? If I do the post-bacc, MCAT, med school, residency route… that’d be about 10 years, before any specialty training?
One post from these boards stood out for me: “in five years I will be five years older, whether or not I go to med school.” I just… ah, like everyone else, I have my own uncertainties and insecurities, and I appreciate the feedback from those who have walked this path. Any advice is welcome
Thanks!
-Adam

Adam,
Welcome to the group! You’ll find a lot of good advice and support here. This is a difficult path, and we all have moments when we wonder, “Why am I doing this?” But the answer is, because we’re passionate about it, and we can’t imagine being happy doing anything else.
I would suggest that you try to shadow a doctor. That will give you a better idea of what you’re getting into, as well as inspiring you to get through classes. Like everyone else, I would definately recommend taking your prereqs at a 4-year college, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing to ease back into school by starting at community college. And while it’s hard to work and go to school in the evenings, it can be done. I did it for a while and I think it was good preparation for med school. I know what it’s like to have no free time. Good luck on your journey. Don’t rush it (I know how tempting that is, since I’m 27–us youngsters have no patience!).
Gina

Quote:

From the looks of things, my best option might be to pursue some post-bacc education to meet med school requirements. It appears as if an RN to MD process is feasable - but that if I know I want to pursue an MD, it would pay to take the most direct route. What do you think?

If medical school is really what you want to do, I wouldn’t waste my time on the nursing route. In many cases, the science classes required for nursing degrees are NOT acceptable as pre-med course work. And, even though it would make sense that you could substitute the more rigorous pre-med courses for nursing degree requirements, that isn’t always the case.
I would definitely suggest some post-bacc work. I don’t know if you took any of the med school pre-req while pursuing your BS or not. If not, your path may actually be a little easier because you won’t have as many poor BCPM (biology, physics, chemistry and mathematics) grades to bring up. In general, you are looking at ~2 years to take the pre-reqs. You can take the MCAT in April while finishing up the pre-reqs (most of the material that will be tested will have already been covered by that point) or take the August MCAT that year.
Quote:

If I do the post-bacc, MCAT, med school, residency route… that’d be about 10 years, before any specialty training?

Hypothetical situation: you start next semester/quarter taking pre-reqs (spring 2006). You finish pre-reqs and take MCAT April or August 2008 and apply fall 2008 for entry in 2009. Four years of medical school, minimum of three years residency training. Residency training IS generally your specialty training unless you choose to go on to a fellowship for more specialized training. For example, if you want to do cardiology, you would first complete and Internal medicine residency (3 years) and then a Cardiology fellowship (3 years). (Info from “Iserson’s Guide to Getting Into a Residency”) There are a large number of specialties where you can seek full licensure and board certification after 3 to 4 years of residency. So, you could be practicing in 10 years.
Welcome, and good luck!
Amy

Quote:

Quote:

From the looks of things, my best option might be to pursue some post-bacc education to meet med school requirements. It appears as if an RN to MD process is feasable - but that if I know I want to pursue an MD, it would pay to take the most direct route. What do you think?

If medical school is really what you want to do, I wouldn’t waste my time on the nursing route. In many cases, the science classes required for nursing degrees are NOT acceptable as pre-med course work. And, even though it would make sense that you could substitute the more rigorous pre-med courses for nursing degree requirements, that isn’t always the case.

I would definitely suggest some post-bacc work. I don’t know if you took any of the med school pre-req while pursuing your BS or not. If not, your path may actually be a little easier because you won’t have as many poor BCPM (biology, physics, chemistry and mathematics) grades to bring up. In general, you are looking at ~2 years to take the pre-reqs. You can take the MCAT in April while finishing up the pre-reqs (most of the material that will be tested will have already been covered by that point) or take the August MCAT that year.

Quote:

If I do the post-bacc, MCAT, med school, residency route… that’d be about 10 years, before any specialty training?

Hypothetical situation: you start next semester/quarter taking pre-reqs (spring 2006). You finish pre-reqs and take MCAT April or August 2008 and apply fall 2008 for entry in 2009. Four years of medical school, minimum of three years residency training. Residency training IS generally your specialty training unless you choose to go on to a fellowship for more specialized training. For example, if you want to do cardiology, you would first complete and Internal medicine residency (3 years) and then a Cardiology fellowship (3 years). (Info from “Iserson’s Guide to Getting Into a Residency”) There are a large number of specialties where you can seek full licensure and board certification after 3 to 4 years of residency. So, you could be practicing in 10 years.

Welcome, and good luck!

Amy

Good point about the time! I think going to Nursing school and wanting to pass the NCLEX would take more time then going and taking premed courses and studying for the MCAT.

Most people study for months before the NCLEX and study months for the MCAT and this in it self will take extra time. Just my observsation. You are not an RN until you pass the NCLEX and are Lic in at least 1 state.

Thanks for all the advice
I understand what you mean about the RN path. The courses may not meet my pre-med needs, and it seems like a convoluted path if I know that I want to be a doctor. I think I’ve been investigating that path because of my change in attitude over the last few years - I don’t want anything to go to waste, and I want to have options. I guess in the end, looking at the RN to MD path is my way of hedging my bets; rather than committing myself for 10 years, I have options starting at 2.
As far as previous coursework goes, I’ve probably got any calc and english requirements out of the way, with most of the hard science remaining. Chem I tested out of with AP scores, and I haven’t taken any of Ochem, bio, or physics in college. That might mean I’ve got enough remaining coursework to make post-bacc worthwhile…
I’m currently bringing up my GPA with the CC courses, and I’ll be taking more next semester (A&P2 and microbio).
I’ll have to think more on this… the post-bacc definitely sounds better for the med school route, but there’s something about the options of the RN path that appeals to me. Maybe it’s just inertia or uncertainty. Thanks for the help, again - more input is always welcome.