Three GPAs - your assessment ?

Hello -

I have really enjoyed reading all of the forum topics. This place is a thoughtful and inspiring group that I look forward to being a more meaningful part of.

I have a BA degree in History and a BS degree in Computer Science. I have been working in the software engineering field for the past 6-7 years.

Once I have the Bio and Organic Chemistry pre-reqs complete (hopefully with A’s and within a year), can I have your assessment of my credentials for applying to medical schools of varying tiers?

I have a 3.82 GPA for the History degree, but only a 3.0 (barely) for the Comp Sci. They average at 3.42. Both degrees are from the same school (ASU), and so all three of these GPAs show on the transcript.

Will I have any control over presenting in the best light the GPAs on my applications to med school? Is it possible to only mention the degree with the higher GPA? Or would I even want to do that, since Comp Sci (the lower GPA degree) is where my math and science courses are? Those courses are now 7-8 years old, so that might be another question.

Or would it be better to show the two degrees but with a lower GPA, compared to just the Comp Sci?

Would B grades be sufficient on the remaining science courses I need to complete over the next 1-2 years? I am working full time as a software developer at American Express (they like 50-55 hours weeks) as well as being married and a father of two young (and wonderful) children.

Being a newbie to this whole process I really don’t have a feel for the feasability of being accepted by any level of med school, be that “low, mid, or high tier” (doubtful there, but still interested).

Any thoughts on what type of MCAT scores I should be shooting for? Maybe it’s too early to be thinking about that?

Well, any insights or evaluations as to my chances and with whatever you see being the ideal GPA combination with the two degrees (if that can even be played with), I would be grateful for.

Thanks alot

Neil

Welcome, Neil. I’ll answer a few of your questions.

• neilc Said:

Will I have any control over presenting in the best light the GPAs on my applications to med school? Is it possible to only mention the degree with the higher GPA? Or would I even want to do that, since Comp Sci (the lower GPA degree) is where my math and science courses are? Those courses are now 7-8 years old, so that might be another question.

Or would it be better to show the two degrees but with a lower GPA, compared to just the Comp Sci?

The answer to all of the above is you MUST report all college coursework on your medical school applications. You cannot pick and choose among your degrees and leave the one with the lower grades off. It doesn't matter how old the classes are, you have to list every college course you've ever taken.

• Quote:
Would B grades be sufficient on the remaining science courses I need to complete over the next 1-2 years? I am working full time as a software developer at American Express (they like 50-55 hours weeks) as well as being married and a father of two young (and wonderful) children.

I'm not an expert, but from what information you've shared, I'm going to say that no, B's are not sufficient. The reason I say this is because the science/math GPA is probably more important than your overall GPA. I'm going to assume that your current math/science GPA is not that great, since it's part of your 3.0 computer science degree. The great GPA in history is all good and well, but medical schools want to see that you can hack the tough science classes. So, since you have already established some mediocre grades, you need to prove to them in current coursework that those original grades did not really reflect your capabilities in the sciences.

The AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) will actually list a separate GPA for courses taken "post-bacc". If I was a med school admissions person and I saw a post-bacc math/science GPA of ~3.0 (which is what you're proposing with B's), combined with an original math/science GPA of 3.0, I'm going to question your science ability.

• Quote:
Any thoughts on what type of MCAT scores I should be shooting for? Maybe it's too early to be thinking about that?

It's never to early to begin thinking about the MCAT. I don't know how many total credit hours you currently have of math/science, but you are going to need to compensate for that with a good MCAT and great (not good) recent grades. Part of how good of a MCAT you need may also depend on where you are hoping to apply. The average MCAT at my school this year is a 34, with average GPAs of 3.74 (cum) and 3.70 (science). Those stats don't mean someone like you don't stand a chance of being accepted, but they do mean that you are going to have to work your tail off from here on out if you want to stand a chance at schools with similar statistics.

I hope this post doesn't come across as discouraging. But, the reality is that medical school admissions are extremely competitive. As non-trad students who often have flaws in our early academic records to make up for, we usually have to work very hard to make ourselves competitive. For many of us, that means tough decisions - usually involving the work and family sacrifices that may be necessary to pursue our dreams.

You need to get A’s in the coursework you are taking NOW. Sure, a B here and there will not be the kiss of death, but adcoms will be going through your RECENT courses with a fine tooth comb so beware!

I will be doing my best. Thanks to you both for the confirmation.

Neil