three weeks and counting

Ok, classes are done. There are three weeks to COMLEX 1 – I don’t feel like I have spent nearly enough time just on board review, but for the next 3 weeks I can do it full time. Any tips on the best approaches? I have First Aid, Step-up. and the Northwestern Medical Review Books. and am plodding through – mixing Basic science and case studies. —
also – any comizerations from others just to keep the panic at bay??
Steve – MSII - UNECOM ph34r.gif

QUOTE (swy55 @ May 13 2003, 06:00 PM)
Ok, classes are done. There are three weeks to COMLEX 1 -- I don't feel like I have spent nearly enough time just on board review, but for the next 3 weeks I can do it full time. Any tips on the best approaches? I have First Aid, Step-up. and the Northwestern Medical Review Books. and am plodding through -- mixing Basic science and case studies. ---
also -- any comizerations from others just to keep the panic at bay??
Steve -- MSII - UNECOM ph34r.gif

I'm a looooooong way from where you're at but I can definitely recommend something to keep the panic at bay....
BEER!!!!
wink.gif
Good luck!!

Steve, your plan sounds fine and your time frame is OK too. Everything you’ve worked on the first two years leads up to this… and as you continue your review you’ll discover that, whaddayaknow, some facts have actually stuck in your head. And it will be enough facts to get you through the exam, I promise.
While I would normally heartily endorse the recommendation of beer as a stress reliever during this time, I actually ended up swearing off beer for a few weeks prior to taking USMLE Step 1 last June. I originally stopped studying an hour before bedtime, then enjoyed a beer while reading or watching TV (anything not test-related). What I found, though, was that my sleep quality wasn’t as good if I had a beer - oh, sure, I fell asleep fine but later in the night I wouldn’t sleep as soundly. (not to mention had to get up to pee!) tongue.gif
And of course forget having a beer or glass of wine with dinner, unless you’re done studying for the day…
Just be sure you’ve got something chilling for when you come home after that Big Bad Boy is done. You’ll have earned it.

Howdy Steve!
I feel your pain, oh my, do I feel your pain. I’m at T-28 days and counting (literally, I have a countdown on the Pocket PC).
I’m pretty much to the memorize and practice stage and past the learn anything stage. I read a couple of subject review books prior to this stage to brush up on the concepts I’d forgotten (or never learned in the first place). I did Clinical Microbiology made Ridiculously Simple, Lippincott’s Biochemistry and USMLE Road Map Pharmacology. I’m reading Road Map Anatomy right now at off times and will do the Road Map Physiology later.
The vast majority of my efforts, however, are on First Aid and Kaplan QBank. I’m taking a home-grown review course here in Galveston that a fourth year is putting on. That course is from 8 til 12’30 every day. We spent time going over First Aid and taking quiz after quiz to drive home all those factoids.
In the afternoon, I’m doing QBank and taking notes from First Aid. I’m doing lots of quizzing with a friend and writing/drawing stuff out on a white board.
So, basically, my strategy at this point is to get as many details shoved up in my old brain as possible so I can draw on them rapidly while using the concepts I’ve pretty well established in long term memory. The other part is trying to get in a USMLE mindset. Each test has a certain ‘feel’ for the way it asks questions. I’ve got to ‘grok’ that style of question so I will decrease my silly mistakes.
I’m not sure what the COMLEX is like, but if it is similar to USMLE, I’d really, really, really recommend QBank.
As for keeping myself sane, I first had to recognize that I lost most of my sanity when I decided to go to medical school. smile.gif To save what I have left, I get together with some friends once a week. Last week was movie night at a friends. We watched Momeno (what a bizarre movie). Tonight we’re going up to Houston for a night at a comedy club. I’m finding that there is only so much studying I can do before my brain hurts. I’m averaging about 10 to 12 hours a day and it is really getting to me. A little release every once in awhile seems to recharge me and help me get ready for another long day.
Take care and good luck!
Jeff Jarvis, MS-II-ish
UTMB
Galveston, TX

Jeff, I don't know the sched yet, it will be awhile, but our 5th semester we have PR come in a do a review. part of it is broken down, I understand to small groups hammering away at critical elements of Physio, Pharm, et al since the tests are heavy enough in certain areas.
I am looking forward to getting the didactics over since I have done half of first year here at Barry already. The thought of repeating them is a nauseating, BUT (I can hear Mary chime in) I'll at least REALLY know it at test time.