To MCAT or not MCAT

So here it is…I’m 1 final away from finally after 4 tries finishing Chem. So the rest of the schedule is what I have a question.

Spring - Orgo1----Spanish 1

Summer1 - Phy1

Summer2 - Phy2

Fall - Orgo2

Spanish 2

Spring - Analytical Chem

So that was what I was thinking however in the middle of my test, don't ask me why this popped in right in the middel of figuring out a ideal gas problem.....anyway I figured that I could apply next year instead of 2008 and take the MCAT right at the end of the summer from physics. With that thought I looked over some MCAT topics and realize that my bio is weak. So I could take CellBio this coming spring so the schedule would look like..

Spring - Orgo1----CellBio

Apply to AAMCAS

Summer1 - Phy1

Summer2 - Phy2

Take MCAT

Fall - Orgo 2 ---Span1

Spring - Anal chem ---Span2

Not so sure. I mean there's the question when I do get interviews how will that interfere with school? This plan would allow me to advance a year. Not looking to fast forward anything but I figure that because of my super nontrad background that I will have to do a SMP and doing this schedule would have me potentially starting a SMP in 2008........

Ahhhhhhhhh.....any help? I'm scheduled to talk with the premed advisor next week but I figure I would get some ideas or thoughts..

Oh, I already took a semester of Gen Bio & a semester of Micro, that's why the cellbio. Figure no sense retaking something I already took. Albeit at a CC but such is life.

The Spanish is because I'd like to apply to the 2 schools in Puerto Rico as well. My wife is from the island and G-d willing we will have adopted a child or two by that point and would love for them to be brought up in a strong latin culture.....I guess I could apply to U of Miami.

If you are pretty sure you’ll do well in both Cell Bio and Orgo, why not take both? If anything, I would drop Spanish and plan on taking it later on (or picking it up on site)–definitely getting INTO medical school should be the priority right now.

You can doubtless try a few MCAT practice exams toward the end of the summer to see whether you want to risk the real thing yet. Your physics will be fresh in your mind at least. However not having Orgo II may be a bit of a problem.

Not to sure how well I’ll do on both classes. If it was a community college I would take both without hesitation. However, looking at the syllabi alone I notice the difference. So I’m leaning toward not doing 2 science classes but debating just sucking it up and making it happen. Not sure if the macho approach is the one to use right now.

• croooz Said:
Not to sure how well I'll do on both classes. If it was a community college I would take both without hesitation. However, looking at the syllabi alone I notice the difference. So I'm leaning toward not doing 2 science classes but debating just sucking it up and making it happen. Not sure if the macho approach is the one to use right now.

When it comes to taking classes and grades, I would err on the cautious approach instead.

Crooz, I gotta tell ya, I like Plan A - where you’ll go slow and allow plenty of time for MCAT study - much better than Plan B. I think pushing things ahead a year, while tempting, also gives you many more opportunities to do fewer things really well. Since your foot in the door is good grades and good MCAT, you really can’t afford to be trying to juggle coursework with MCAT study with applications with interview scheduling.

It is potentially boring and it certainly feels like plodding, but I like the original schedule you’ve laid out. I think pushing to do more sooner is not in your best interests.

Sorry, buddy! Guess I’m more of a tortoise “slow and steady wins the race” kind of gal.

Mary

Hell that’s exactly why I posted. While my focus was on the grades I didn’t think about the stress and drama with the application and then the letters and lord knows what else. I don’t like knowing the potential is there that I could start a year sooner. However I usually focus on the positive blinding me to some of the reality. It’s more likely that something could go wrong with speeding up the process than taking it slow & steady.

While slow & steady is not my style. Neither is knowing for certain what is truly required to apply to medical school. So I will bow to the earned experience of those here. Plus this will allow me to take a mixed martial arts class twice a week & a latin guitar class

• croooz Said:
Hell that's exactly why I posted. While my focus was on the grades I didn't think about the stress and drama with the application and then the letters and lord knows what else. I don't like knowing the potential is there that I could start a year sooner. However I usually focus on the positive blinding me to some of the reality. It's more likely that something could go wrong with speeding up the process than taking it slow & steady.

While slow & steady is not my style. Neither is knowing for certain what is truly required to apply to medical school. So I will bow to the earned experience of those here. Plus this will allow me to take a mixed martial arts class twice a week & a latin guitar class

Out of curiosity, what martial arts class are ya taking?

By the way, it's always better to have too much time to do something than too little!
  • Tim Said:

Out of curiosity, what martial arts class are ya taking?

By the way, it's always better to have too much time to do something than too little!

Contemporary Fighting Arts

Why? What you into?
  • croooz Said:
Plus this will allow me to take a mixed martial arts class twice a week & a latin guitar class

You know, you really can't overestimate the value of having a LIFE while you are doing this. It is easy to be consumed in the pre-med rat race just as it is easy to be consumed by med school and residency. Keeping up your outside interests is awfully important - good for you, Crooz.

Mary

So I was thinking yet again…

Do I really need to take courses over the summer? I was thinking of taking the summer off and instead take physics over the fall and spring…thoughts?

My reasoning is…well quite frankly I believe the closer I take my classes to the MCAT the better my recall. Along with that I’m trying to go on a B.O.S.S. trip. http://www.boss-inc.com/

Crooz, what else would you be taking if you take physics in the fall to spring? I did it - took physics I, o-chem I and microbiology in the fall, then physics II and o-chem II along w/ MCAT prep in the spring. I was not working other than as a mom at the time. Consequently I felt I did have enough time to devote to my studies. If you are trying to do physics AND other heavy-duty courses AND keep up with a job, you may be biting off more than you can chew. Tough to say.

Mary

It would be Org2 & Phy1. Then AnalChem & Phy2. Then it would be the MCAT review and finally the MCAT…plus my fulltime job.

So you think that Physics 1 & 2 over the summer is a better choice? I just figured that taking Physics over 32 weeks versus 12 would be better…

Crooz -

Unless taking summer classes is going to be the difference between applying in one cycle vs. the next, I can’t think of why it would be that important. There is something to be said for having the pre-reqs fresh in your brain before taking the MCAT. It definitely reduces the amount of time that you need to spend reviewing the sciences and allows you to spend a little more time on test taking strategies and practice tests. I finished organic chemistry on a Monday and took the MCAT on Saturday. I guarantee you that other than review the practice questions I did, I didn’t spend any additional time reviewing ochem.