Took the MCAT last week

I took the MCAT last week and think I did o.k. on the verbal and bio. I’m kinda kicking myself on the physical science section. Temporarily forgot how to do a couple of easy problems and by the time I finished the section there wasn’t enough time to go back and correct the answers. So, anyway, I’m a little worried about my p.s. score.

Did anyone else have a similar issue when they took their exam?

When I finished I thought I had “failed” miserably, particularly in the physics section which seemed to have way too many “outer space” physics questions and no optics questions. I deemed that I was going to be well below the 30 I was targeting. I started trying to figure out when I could take it again, but as I took it in late July and my application was already in, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t be any better prepared if I wrote again in Sept. So I waited. And tried to complete secondaries that started coming in (very hard to do effectively when you think all is lost). Then late Aug rolled around. I got a 31R (11BS, 10 PS, 10VR).

Moral of the story - You just don’t know until you get your score how you’ve done BUT don’t let negative self talk slow you down (especially if you are in the middle preparing your application).

So good luck and try to stay calm. I think that was one of the most frustrating months I lived through from an academic standpoint.

Lynda

Guitardan77

I remember that I felt really bad about the PS section and though I would get an 11, yet ended up with a 12. However, I thought I did great on Bio and expected a 14, yet I got a 12.

As for VR, I just didn’t know what to think. Worse case was a 7, best was a 9, ended with a 6.

Overall, I was thinking, the worst possible total would be 31 and ended up with 30.

I recently retook it and am waiting for my score, and it is hard to think about making predictions. But overall, you probably have a worst case, best case. Chances are you will be within, or close to one of the fences (lower or higher).

I wouldn’t say that your AAMC score average is an excellent predictor (for me it was close to 36) and ended up 6 points lower. Yet, it is the best predictor you have.

All you can do now is wait and hope. Try to find something to keep you mind away from the MCAT. I decided to work on an old car I recently bought. It keeps me busy, in my world, away from the stress.

I wish you the best of luck. For now, you should enjoy your time and try to think about something else.

• redo-it-all Said:
I recently retook it and am waiting for my score, and it is hard to think about making predictions.

Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future. ... Niels Bohr

• gonnif Said:
Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future. ... Niels Bohr

That couldn't more accurate, at least as far as the MCAT goes.

Half way through the wait till the scores are released. No prediction made, just being patient right now.

hey dan - i was worried about my entire score (except the essays) after i walked out. i think what you’re feeling is normal. just try to be sane until your score is released (i know much easier said than done).

Thank you all for your comments! Outside of a couple of dumb mistakes on the physical science section, there really isn’t anything else I could have done better.

Just hurry up and wait…but the break does feel nice!