Totally New and Mostly Clueless

Hey everyone! Lets hope my computer doesn’t decide to shut down in the middle of the message like last time…:wink:

I know you guys get a million posts like this a day, but you deal with them so well, so I thought I would throw my hat into the ring and get some feedback.

I am finally making the commitment to finish my prereqs this year so that I can apply next year for 2010. I have been resisting the urge to be a doctor since I was 3 and told everyone who would listen that I wanted an otoscope for my 4th birthday. My mother went to medical school and I think I was just rebelling for 20-someodd years.

Ok, so my basic stats!

Started college at 16 (not because I am smart…but because I got kicked out of school because of illness, and ended up taking the California Proficiency Exam and started at a CC)

Went to CC for 2 years, overall GPA of about 3.65

Transferred to a 4 year university, received a BA in Political Science with a university GPA of about 3.4

Attended a top twenty law school on the east coast, overall GPA of about 3.1. Was more than slightly miserable and no notable achievements during law school.

Chucked it all, became a personal trainer and started teaching yoga, and became much more seriously interested in science. I had started to pursue physical therapy but after working in the field for the past year, I know that this is close to but not completely the direction I want to go in, and instead want to pursue orthopedic surgery.

So, I have been (slowly) completing science classes for the past two years. I have taken Anatomy, Physiology, Biology and Chem I at a CC, A’s in all. I plan to take Chem II this summer, then O-Chem, Physics, and Calculus Fall and Spring. I have also dabbled in biomedical consulting and worked for physical therapists.

So my questions!

1.) So far most schools that I am looking at just say “1 year of college level physics”. At the CC I attend, I have a choice of either taking trig based or calculus based physics. Do schools care which I do? Is this something I should be calling the admissions office about? If they don’t actually care, does it look better if I do the calculus based one? It cases a time constraint because then I need to take calculus before I can start instead of taking them concurrently, so I would like to take the trig based physics if possible.

2.)The main school I want to go to specifies that the LOR (when you are invited to submit them) need to be from faculty at a 4 year institution, 2 of them math or science professors, and one a social science professor. Has anyone gotten a requirement like this waived? I am taking my prereqs at a CC because I really cannot afford to take them at a university; am I screwed?

3.)I have seen someone mention calling the admissions office and talking to them every step of the way; is this something I should be doing now? Would making an appointment with an adviser at the med school I want to attend be a good strategy?

4.) Because I have been working full time, I have been taking classes slowly; if I do end up asking a CC professor for a LOR, is it bad form to do it 2 years after taking their class? I am pretty memorable, but still…:slight_smile:

5.) Are the recent gaps in my educational record going to be a problem? They can all be explained by full time employment, because, you know…I like to eat, and put gas in my car…

6.)Any other advice would be appreciated!! Oh, and I plan to attend the conference this week…so a lot of this may be answered there:)

Thanks so much!

-J

I’ll tackle a couple for you:

• Jane4Yoga Said:

1.) So far most schools that I am looking at just say "1 year of college level physics". At the CC I attend, I have a choice of either taking trig based or calculus based physics. Do schools care which I do? Is this something I should be calling the admissions office about? If they don't actually care, does it look better if I do the calculus based one? It cases a time constraint because then I need to take calculus before I can start instead of taking them concurrently, so I would like to take the trig based physics if possible.

You absolutely do NOT need calculus based physics. The trig based physics series is fine. Some people choose to take calc based physics either due to their major, scheduling, etc, but you certainly do not need calc based physics. I don't think there's any need to call an admissions office on that one.

• In reply to:
2.)The main school I want to go to specifies that the LOR (when you are invited to submit them) need to be from faculty at a 4 year institution, 2 of them math or science professors, and one a social science professor. Has anyone gotten a requirement like this waived? I am taking my prereqs at a CC because I really cannot afford to take them at a university; am I screwed?

This is one of those "call the admissions office" questions. Waiving that requirement will be up to the individual school. If they won't waive it, then you'll have to decide if that school is a place you really want to go and decide if you can find a way to make a couple of university level courses happen or not.

• In reply to:
3.)I have seen someone mention calling the admissions office and talking to them every step of the way; is this something I should be doing now? Would making an appointment with an adviser at the med school I want to attend be a good strategy?

I don't think it hurts. Some admissions offices are incredibly helpful, and others not. Now is definitely the time to talk to them. Most schools won't meet with you once you've submitted your application, so if you have any questions about what you can do to make yourself competitive for a particular school, now is the time to ask.

• In reply to:
4.) Because I have been working full time, I have been taking classes slowly; if I do end up asking a CC professor for a LOR, is it bad form to do it 2 years after taking their class? I am pretty memorable, but still....:)

The thing to do is ask them NOW if they would be willing to do LORs, explain that it may be a couple of years before you need the letters, and then keep in touch with them - e-mail, stop by office hours when possible, etc.

• In reply to:
5.) Are the recent gaps in my educational record going to be a problem? They can all be explained by full time employment, because, you know...I like to eat, and put gas in my car.....

Not sure if it will be a problem or not. That may be specific to what a particular school is looking for in a candidate. This is a good question to ask an admissions adviser - not only about how it will affect your application, but how you can present this in a positive light.

Enjoy the conference - I think you'll find it well worth your time and money!

I agree with all of the answers above. The only addition I can make is that when it comes time to ask the professor to write and submit the LOR, you give him or her a copy of your personal statement.

Best of luck!