Trauma that inspired me

I am going back to school this spring to start my journey towards medical school. I left school my freshman year after i was sexually assaulted, being a gay male, I only told my close friends and didn’t report the assault. I became really depressed and lost all drive.

I left college and my gpa fell drastically. My parents were not helpful at all, they asked why i became depressed all of a sudden and finally i told them what happened. They told me that they could’ve lived without knowing that happened to me. Then proceeded to tell me I was going to hell for being gay. I attempted the next day.

I don’t have major depression, I just didn’t want to live in that moment especially after dealing with sexual assault, the guilt that comes along with that and my parents not accepting me fully.

I went to in-patient for two weeks and became inspired. I had the worst psychiatrist, he didn’t care about his patients and seemed to only want a paycheck. I met a lot of people and saw them all at their worst times, a time where they need someone who actually wants to be there for them. At that moment I knew I wanted to be that person, I have always been fascinated with mental health and working towards breaking that stigma especially in the LGBT community.

So my question after putting my story out there is should I tell medical schools about the reason I want to be a doctor and my journey to getting back to school.

I know I could’ve worded some of this better, but it’s just a hard topic to talk about

Yes I think it’s good to be authentic but just be more vague with the details. Say something like “it was my personal experience with being a patient that opened my eyes to the need for caring psychiatric care. I witnessed the difference it can make for a physician to provide expert treatment to people at their most desperate moments. It is my desire to be this kind of physician.” Definitely don’t directly mention the bad doctor, even if it is the real thing that inspires you.

1 Like

How would I mention the trauma indirectly without raising red flags