Triple major seeking quick opinions

Real quick note: I posted this on the Pre-Osteopathic, and Pre-Allopathic sections of SDN as well…to ensure diversity of opinion. Sorry to those who don’t like seeing repeated postings.
Hey Y’all…This has been a great site for finding answers about med school. I have a scenario for your collective consideration. Here goes:
I attend the University of Delaware and for various reasons I am close to triple majoring. I need 3 classes to finish English Literature, 4 classes to finish Psychology, and 3 classes to finish Interpersonal Communication majors. This would make me a triple major.
Since I will not be able to get a LOR from the premed committee until April of 2006 (Because I can’t finish all the prerequisite BCPM courses until after Summer of 2005) I’m thinking, "Hey! Why not just complete the triple major?"
But then I wonder if an adcom will look at this and ask themselves, “With so many majors why wasn’t one of them a science?”
I guess the gist of what I’m conflicted about right now is will a triple major in humanities and social sciences make me stand out in a good way or in a bad way? :idea:
I know that nobody can predict how individual adcom persons will react to this, but I’m just interested in what you guys think. I’ve read a lot of good opinions on here and need someone to bounce this off of. Thanks.
JJ

Gosh I don’t know about adcoms but I could spin it…
Lit - well read, grammar skills etc… should carry over into your statement and well, in being cultured in a profession.
psych - that one is easy to sell, know thyself right?
interpersonal - as a professional in authority, knowing how to communicate with those around you for the betterment of the patient - sounds good to me.
I’d be more concerned about being that close to all 3, not finishing one or more, and ever having to explain to the adcom why you did not when a)you had the time and b)were so close to completing it - I’d go the distance with all 3.

JJ,
I agree!
While I’m no adcom, I look at it as “holy cow”! — he’s got the triple major AND fit in all those BCMP courses. We want this guy!
Now, this assumes a decent MCAT score, nice overall GPA, good science GPA and good LOR to flesh out your application. Your essay will also be important as this is where you can pull all your interests together and show 'em how your background will help you become a great doctor. Be prepared to talk about all of this in your interview and show how this leads you to medicine as a profession.
In other words, I wouldn’t worry about the triple major. Good luck! (… but I don’t think you’ll need much of that).

Hi there,
Your major or majors will not sway your application one way or the other. Your GPA and performance on the MCAT will be the most important determining factors in gaining acceptance to medical school. By majoring in three subjects, one would assume that you “like” these three subjects but other than than, you will be judged like any other applicant.
Other things that help your application: Meaningful research i.e. with a publication at the end. Good extracurricular activities, good letters of recommendation from people who know you well and a good personal statement.
Just keep doing well in your classes and submit an application that shows you in the best light. Other than that, I assure you that very little “wows” members of an admissions committee.
Good luck and start working on your PS. You can’t start too soon.
Natalie

I’m with Natalie on this. My first reaction when reading your email was Why a triple major? and What else has this person done to be a competitive applicant (those “non-cognitive variables”) besides go to classes? It’s unlikely that AdComms will think this is very special, particularly if you haven’t taken advantage of being a contributing member to your college community. So, if you are a “balanced” applicant, this likely isn’t going to swing your application one way or the other. (One assumes that your grades are excellent as well.) If you are neglecting those other areas of your life, you might want to think double major instead of triple.
Cheers,
Judy

Thanks to everyone who responded. It’s good to hear points from both sides of the issue.
I think I’m going to concentrate on the English and Psychology degrees. Actually, I’m looking at forging the psyc program into a degree in Neuroscience, which wouldn’t take me any longer to complete than I’m already looking at anyway. Plus it will be a science major and will make constructive use of the BCPM classes as working toward a degree rather than being merely med prereqs.
I agree with many of the above comments. It is good to point out that GPA and MCAT will matter most of all, and I certainly already appreciate the importance of those factors. As for the non-cognitive factors I am in no way underestimating their significance in the application process.
I have several years of military service, foriegn mission trips to Mexico and Chile, inner city street outreach, and hospital volunteer hours. I hope to do more before I apply but this is part of what I plan to present to an adcom. How do these sound to you guys? Honestly, I’m open to all recommendations.
I know that one area I’m especially weak in is my extra-curricular activities on campus. I’m not a member of any clubs or organizations. I am lined up to start writing for a political/legal paper this semester. I have a friend who got me involved. I’m also joining a club for non traditional college students that just started. And I’m definitely going to join any premed clubs. How many clubs and organizations should a med applicant be a part of?
I have a family, and I’m not meaning that as an excuse for not being involved on campus. It just limits the time that I have available after studying for classes to spend on clubs or organizations. How have you premeds with a family handled this?
I guess the best thing to do at this point is to just make good grades no matter what and if that means I can’t finish the communication major then oh well. Whatever I end up doing I’ll definitely glean from the words here to help explain (i.e. spin) my decision. Thanks again everyone.
JJ

Quote:

I know that one area I’m especially weak in is my extra-curricular activities on campus. I’m not a member of any clubs or organizations. How many clubs and organizations should a med applicant be a part of?
How have you premeds with a family handled this?

How does NONE strike you? Life history of community service and volunteering (not necessarily while in school) as a natural extension of what I do anyway seemed plenty to this mom-student.
As far as I was concerned clubs were for the young, jobless and unattached. Besides, Adcoms will see right through racking up “involvement” to pad an application. Any extra time you spend away from your family for real or perceived non-essentials isn’t going to do your relationships any good. If you have the interest and can spare the time, then do so. But don’t let it get in the way of grades and relationships.
Have you talked to the admissions office at a med school re: making yourself the best candidate you can?

Quote:

As far as I was concerned clubs were for the young, jobless and unattached. Besides, Adcoms will see right through racking up “involvement” to pad an application. Any extra time you spend away from your family for real or perceived non-essentials isn’t going to do your relationships any good. If you have the interest and can spare the time, then do so. But don’t let it get in the way of grades and relationships.

Some of the reasons you listed for not being in any EC’s are my sentiments exactly. But I also feel that these sentiments are somewhat self-limiting.
I’m not young. I’m not single. I have a daughter who needs my time. I’ve got to study. These are reasons I haven’t taken on any EC’s other than volunteering. But this year I’m going to be different and not so restrictive toward my free time.
I will be meeting with my premed counselor this semester and see what she suggests as far as EC’s. I figure there are things out there I haven’t thought of yet that I would love to take part in and that won’t require too much of a person. If there is such a thing. Right?
JJ

Quote:

I How many clubs and organizations should a med applicant be a part of?

None if you don’t have passion and interest and are doing it just to “look good” on an application. Do an “inner self” search and go for those activities that make you happy…make your eyes dance when you talk about them. If your eyes don’t dance, don’t bother.
Cheers,
Judy

Quote:

None if you don’t have passion and interest and are doing it just to “look good” on an application.

Point taken. Thanks.
JJ