Trouble for St. Christopher's

I sincerely hope this gets worked out. We have a couple of OPMers over there attending St. Christopher’s.
Best of luck to JP & Kathy…and any others attending there.
St. Christopher’s New Break!

Anyone hear of any new developments on this? I would love to hear from our OPMers who are currently students at St. Chris.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/how_to_register/registration/acceptable_primary_medical_qualifications.asp
Primary medical qualifications not accepted by the GMC
The following medical schools are currently listed in the WHO directory based on its recognition by the government of the relevant country. However, the GMC is not satisfied about the status of the schools’ programmes in the UK with respect to the schools’ recognition by the government nor is it assured that the schools’ are subject to adequate quality assurance arrangements. At the present time, the GMC is not registering graduates who hold primary medical qualifications obtained from the medical schools listed below. Moreover, g raduates from these schools are not permitted to make a booking or to take the Professional Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test.
St Christopher’s College of Medicine
Dakar, Senegal
Saint Luke School of Medicine
206 Broad Street, Luke Building, 3471 Monrovia, Liberia
Hope things work out for everyone.

Unfortunatly it is bad and the students and Senegal are trying to reorganize the school. I’m still in contct with some students but really only now what is posted on VMD. It is a very upsetting and hard thing to watch. My transfer to the Caribbean had nothing to do with it, it all came to light after. My heart and prayer’s go out to all the Students there.

On a better note several schools have stepped up to help.

SGU is offering redo of basic sci to the point you were at for Free! SO thats a good offer, they must have the min addmission though.

Other schools are granting transfer credits to the students, I know of few coming to my school St. James.

I really hope the school reorganizes from this for the ones staying.

Bill.

This posted today:

Quote:

To whom this may concern,
We are writing to announce the dismissal of Dr. Paul L from the board of directors of St. Christopher’s Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine, Dakar, Senegal. It was announced that the remainder of the board of trustees have serious questions about whether Dr. L has engaged in unethical practices. This change will enable St. Christopher’s to push forward and develop an institution we can all be proud of.
As many are aware, the ECFMG has requested verification from Senegal that the Luton campus of St. Christopher’s is fully recognized and accredited. Although Senegal has always fully supported the Luton campus, this letter has been held back by Senegal due to the allegations against him. The Senegal administration and Ministry of Health does not wish to be involved with someone who has so many unanswered questions surrounding them and wanted some resolution before any support for the Luton campus was reaffirmed. The administration of the Dakar campus of St. Christopher’s is currently auditing each student file to ensure that no other illegal or unethical practices have been employed. Once that has occurred, the ECFMG will be informed that all remaining individuals have the full backing of the Senegal government from February 2000 until the end of this current semester. After that, accreditation of the current Luton campus will be removed and applied to a new campus in England that will be run by a new administrator recently hired by the Dakar campus president.
The charter of St. Christopher’s is owned by the sovereign country of Senegal and not by any one individual. However, the current physical facilities of the Luton campus is owned by Dr. L and he therefore still has the right to do with those facilities as he pleases. Therefore, anything that Dr. L does with the current UK business named St. Christopher’s College of Medicine Lmtd will have no relation whatsoever to the Senegal medical college of the same name. Should he attempt to obtain a new charter to continue operating the physical facilities that he owns, it will have to be considered an entirely new entity that is separate from the current college of medicine.
All of the details regarding the current changes have not been completely ironed out yet, however the Senegalese administration and their newly appointed UK administration are working around the clock to make all the necessary preparations. Both administrations have already held meetings with the ECFMG and some of the state licensing boards. They are trying to reverse previous policies of silence and remain completely transparent to outside official organizations. As we have more info, we will release it in a timely fashion.
http://www.mdparadise.com

So yea it’s bad
They lost the TERRI loan too 4/1/06

Quote:

…the dismissal of Dr. Paul L from the board of directors of St. Christopher’s Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine, Dakar, Senegal. It was announced that the remainder of the board of trustees have serious questions about whether Dr. L has engaged in unethical practices. This change will enable St. Christopher’s to push forward and develop an institution we can all be proud of.

Is this the Dr. Leone who spoke at the OPM Conference in 2004? What do they mean by “unethical practices”–do you have any guesses? I’m just curious. It’s too bad for those who are currently enrolled or thinking of enrolling at this school. I hope they can restart on a firmer basis.

Well a new twist last night, the school has merged with MUA Belize. I don’t know what to think any more, Kathy is devastated with all this. I’m just shocked. The students who are sueing Dr. Leone have posted that he was in charge and the
Government of Senegal will back the school but only with out him. So it’s a mess it appears there are 2 schools now.