Trucker goes to Medical School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-8BY7qZ9OE&a mp;fea…

I know that this is somewhat of an old story but it reignited a debate among my friends and I. When I shared this story with them there was a prompt response, “I still wouldn’t want him working on me.”

Of course I wholeheartedly disagree but for those that chose to go back to school later in life to become a professional is there a so called decrease in quality of care delivered???

What about those of us that are considered, “slow learners” Are these individuals just not cut out for the rigors of medical school or does it end up driving the person even harder towards success?

Your thoughts…

Richard Boyd featured in the video = Richard B on this board. Richard B was a prolific poster on this board.

I think the older you are when you chose to go for a career you want the better the person will do in school. It takes a lot of courage for someone older to take a big leap such as medical school. The trucker in the video was said to be a nurse and a paramedic prior to this? He also has 5 kids… I think he will make a good doctor. The quality of care wont be decreased based on his age. Also, an older person who is going to med school has a lot more to give up such as time with family, money etc. and will be less likely to screw up the opportunity they are given. When I was a nursing student there were people who were in their 30s, 40s, 50’s and 60’s who were so driven in nursing school… and a lot of them had children and worked at least part time through out school.

Because someone comes from a blue collar background does NOT make them any lesser of a doctor. They had to go through the same routine to get into medical school and the same to stay in and get out. If being “blue collar” makes one a less-than-capable doctor, then think of all the young “kids” who go straight to med school from college, after having gone straight to college from high school. Many of these students have had little “real world” life experience outside of a home life with their parents or college, yet they are able to handedly interact with their patients, most of whom have had that experience if they are adults.

And Richard B is not alone; there are lots of people who go from blue collar backgrounds into health care. Dr. Michael Collins used to be a construction worker and is now an orthopedic surgeon.

A number of years ago, there was an auto mechanic who went to Harvard Med; his and his colleagues had their lives chronicled in a television documentary series.

Heck, at various points in my life, I was a warehouse worker and drove a forklift, and I have always done my own construction, gardening, bike and auto mechanics, sometimes for others but mostly for my family’s property and vehicles.

• datsa Said:
A number of years ago, there was an auto mechanic who went to Harvard Med; his and his colleagues had their lives chronicled in a television documentary series.

I should pitch my documentary; "From Wal-Mart to Med School" I'd make a killing...and then blow it all on med school apps, hehehe!

No but really, I don't know if there even is a quality stigma between the traditional med student and the return non-traditional student. jj is right in that we have a super appreciation and gratitude for what we've earned that there is no way in Hades that we would take it for granted. Plus, as one gets older there is more on the line.

BTW- I have Dr. Collin's 'Hot Lights, Cold Steel' awesome awesome read!!!!