Two months and I'm a poor student again!

In order to put in the right amount of time for organic chemistry/physics/and the MCAT, I’ve decided to live very sparingly this year.

Any good savings ideas will definitely be appreciated. Anyone else deciding to go to full-time?

I’ll be going to school full-time and working part-time starting this fall. Will be moving to a tiny studio in Chicago and hopefully have some money left for food . But really looking forward to being a full-time student once again!

• drumstick Said:
I'll be going to school full-time and working part-time starting this fall. Will be moving to a tiny studio in Chicago and hopefully have some money left for food . But really looking forward to being a full-time student once again!

That I can totally agree with! I'm actually eligible for some work study, and if I am lucky, I'll be able to work in the advisement office of my university which is located in the community college for future transferees. If I can get myself a couple of hours of tutoring during the week, I should be able to survive.

Of course, the cats are going to have to get used to eating just the bargain basement kibble

Between the commute and needing to work for daycare costs there’s just no way to go full time right now, but we do need to live pretty frugally since we’re dirt poor anyway lol.

I have a few websites I found that give great cheap menu ideas as well as other frugal tips, plus Rachel Ray’s magazine has 10 dollar and less meals I’ve leaf through occasionally. My SIL bought me a subscription two years ago for xmas and I’ve kept them around for the recipes.

My favorite cheap skate thing is not using fabric softener. I took old skeins of wool (has to bee wool) yarn from some past knitting projects and rolled them into balls, then stuck them into pantyhose and tied off each section so they wouldn’t unravel. A couple of tosses in the washer and dryer later, and I have all natural dryer balls that fluff up my laundry quite nicely…and function as a cool toy for the toddler lol.

Seriously, though, let me know if you need ideas. I’ve been scraping by as well lately.

Good luck! Wish I could do school without work but it’s not quite in the cards yet. I am trying to phase out my relevance to the household income but my wife seems to be on to my scheme:)

I noticed your time-stamp was after 2 in the morning! Are you still working overnights or are you just a night owl?

Working nights, which is another problem. It’s not that I have a problem staying up at night, but it plays havoc during the days I am not working…I need to be fresh for school and do really well in my classes, I know deep inside that if I stayed working nights, something will suffer.

• Krisss17 Said:
In order to put in the right amount of time for organic chemistry/physics/and the MCAT, I've decided to live very sparingly this year.

Any good savings ideas will definitely be appreciated. Anyone else deciding to go to full-time?

So after a couple of nights of anxiety attacks and the fact that if I left the hospital completely I wouldn't be able to even volunteer at the same hospital, I decided to do a variation of my plan.

I posed a suggestion to my clinical manager about possibly just cutting my shifts in half...working 6-12 3 nights a week instead of 6-6 3 nights a week. It would still be a reduction in pay, it is definitely doable, and I can keep that clinical exposure I might be losing otherwise.

Although, I currently work in a NICU as a health unit coordinator, she had responded back that she will think about it (which is definitely better than a straight "No" and also asked if I would be interested in working 6 hour nights on the peds unit that she also manages...well, my answer is, of course "yes."). So keep your fingers crossed for me. Working 3 days 6 hrs a night is definitely doable for me, enabling me the time to spend the appropriate time studying and still lowering the whole financial aspect. It'll be enough when I have to give up all work when I go to med school.

I think that is a great plan! I think keeping the ties to the hospital will benefit your application and if you can get off work at twelve your body will be much more rested and in better shape to tackle your remaining academic work. Hope it works out really well for you.

I know when I actually get to sleep at night on shift my mind is so much sharper the following days. There is just no getting used to 3rd shift work. You can adapt but it always take a bit of a toll.

• jjcnbg Said:
I think that is a great plan! I think keeping the ties to the hospital will benefit your application and if you can get off work at twelve your body will be much more rested and in better shape to tackle your remaining academic work. Hope it works out really well for you.

I know when I actually get to sleep at night on shift my mind is so much sharper the following days. There is just no getting used to 3rd shift work. You can adapt but it always take a bit of a toll.

Let's hope it works!

While I had no problem with actually working nights and staying up, it has been tough when I am not working...I'm just so exhausted and nonproductive for the first day or two after a 3 day stretch.

First, congrats on the job thing. I’m crossing my fingers for you.

Second. . .sarcastic thanks a lot. . .Thanks to your inspiration, I just spent 20 minutes indulging my part-time work fantasy and came up with an elaborate scheme where beginning in spring I could go 3 day/wk contract instead of F/T, take a graduate class and o-chem 2, and do research in my former prof’s lab. Spending time actually doing stuff I enjoy. . .ahhhh.

Now I have to go back to reality and it’s just a bummer. . .

Anyway - good luck to ya!!!

• AliJ Said:
First, congrats on the job thing. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Second. . .sarcastic *thanks a lot*. . .Thanks to your inspiration, I just spent 20 minutes indulging my part-time work fantasy and came up with an elaborate scheme where beginning in spring I could go 3 day/wk contract instead of F/T, take a graduate class and o-chem 2, and do research in my former prof's lab. Spending time actually doing stuff I enjoy. . .ahhhh.

Now I have to go back to reality and it's just a bummer. . .

Anyway - good luck to ya!!!

Well, first nothing is yet set up...hopefully it will work, but I'll still be working at half-time, not full-time. Just enough where I won't have to lie to my family when they ask if I am still working 3 days a week at my job...they don't need to know more. I've yet to tell them of my school goals...I figure that once I've gotten to the point that I need to, then I'll share that bit of information.

Actions speak louder to words for my family, so by having an acceptance letter in hand would go a lot further than my talking about pursuing this goal.

Since I would make 2 1/2 times more by working the part-time with the hospital than I would working the same amount of hours in a work study position, I had to go where the money is. I'll probably still try for 10 hours in the advising office and use that for my gas money and incidentals like that.

Actually the biggest plus of this is the fact that I would be able to stay associated with the hospital and thus getting some more healthcare exposure.

Ali, believe me, I'll still be living on a shoestring, but one that will allow me to continue my school goals. If you have a possible plan to do both, you should continue to work out different alternatives.

Best of luck!

How very cloak and dagger of you

Best of luck. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• LC2Doc Said:
Best of luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks! I got an email back from my clinical manager who told me to contact the unit clerk from the peds unit to shadow with her for a couple of hours. There is a part-time position there that they have been having a hard time filling. A major reason is that if the census is low, the chances of being called off is greater. Many applicants don't want to take that chance. For me though it would be perfect...it'll allow me to keep my connections at the hospital and if I'm called off occasionally, it'll still be better than not having this extra money to start. Also, my clinical manager has both peds and the nicu under her supervision, so she knows that she has a backup if she needs someone there. Plus, as long as I maintain per diem status at the hospital, I can occasionally get a shift or two on one of the adult units.

So it's looking good! While the income is helpful, I just didn't want to lose all contact if I totally quit.

Good Luck… I have really been fighting with leaving my full-time decent paying job with benifits… to go at this full time. i have the pre-reqs done, but applied and didnt get in last year. I really need to get more clincal experience, retake my MCAT and possibly take some upper level science classes, and thats kind of hard to do… working 50 hours a week… and being a single parent. Its crazy having to make those life changing decsions…

• Diamondice79 Said:
Good Luck... I have really been fighting with leaving my full-time decent paying job with benifits... to go at this full time. i have the pre-reqs done, but applied and didnt get in last year. I really need to get more clincal experience, retake my MCAT and possibly take some upper level science classes, and thats kind of hard to do... working 50 hours a week... and being a single parent. Its crazy having to make those life changing decsions..

I have to say that my situation is definitely easier...no kids and the only one that I am responsible for is myself. Having kids and being single must be even harder because it totally is on your shoulders.

Good luck this application cycle!

Thanks… Same to you