Typical med school schedule?

Hello,
I have not heard much about where med students actually spend their time. Can someone post a “typical” daily routine broken down by year (yrs 1-4 and afterwards plus specialty school if anyone knows?) Of course the schedule will vary from school to school and person to person but I’m just looking for approximations here…

For example:
During Nuclear Power School in the Navy my schedule looked pretty much like this:

<Weeks 1 to 26>
Overall: 45 hrs of classes and 35-40 hrs of additional study.
Mon: 7:00am - 4:00pm Classes
5:00pm - Midnight Study/Review/Labs
Tue: 7:00am - 4:00pm Classes
Wed: 7:00am - 4:00pm Classes
Thr: 7:00am - 4:00pm Classes
Fri: 7:00am - 4:00pm Classes
Sat: Take a day off to recover my sanity
Sun: Noon - 10PM study/review

I know it will turn into a large post but I would find it very useful - the more detailed the better!

Thanks,
Jason

Howdy Pam!

Here are some of the URL’s for our curriculum:

The curriculum home page:
http://meded.utmb.edu/

An

overview of the curriculum in PDF format:
http://meded.utmb.edu/AcademicCalendar0102070201Final.pdf

Our

actual calendar:
http://medtest.utmb.edu:85/imcy1

For

this block (pathobiology & host defenses) we are in class from 8 to noon on MWF and from 9 to 11 on most TTh. We also have a Practice of Medicine class from 11 to noon on TTh and from 1 to 3 once a week.

Hope this helps!

Take care,
Jeff
UTMB MS-I

Hey Jeff,

My boss is teaching a class for the UTMB med students (on Tues-Thurs afternoons, I think) and I have been invited to attend. He said it was on basic cell bio. I can’t go tomorrow, but I might be coming after that. Do you go to those?

Quote: from spacecadet on 10:36 am on Jan. 9, 2002
Hey Jeff,

My boss is teaching a class for the UTMB med students (on Tues-Thurs afternoons, I think) and I have been invited to attend. He said it was on basic cell bio. I can't go tomorrow, but I might be coming after that. Do you go to those?

Howdy Pam!

If s/he's teaching lectures for 1st years, I'll be there. Since we don't have that many lectures, I try to go to them all.

What is your boss' name? We don't have a specific cell bio course, rather we have cell bio topics/lectures throughout the year.

Take care,
Jeff

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who replied to my post.
This information is very encouraging to me. We (my wife and I) were hoping that med school would allow a little family time and it looks like it does, as long as the grades are good.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason –

1st yr schedule at UTSW was pretty much 8-5 or 8-4 – studying some in the evenings and making it up on weekends; that is, if you went to class. I stopped going to class last year in Jan. and managed to do ok. I found that a full day of lectures left me little energy for another 5-6 hrs of study at night.

2nd year at UT Southwestern is lighter on the lecture load but much, much heavier on the volume because all of our pathology course and much of our Clinical Med is problem-based learning. MWF are lectures 8 or 9 to noon. Scheduled case presentations are T/Th 2-4. There are lots of extras thrown in, we’re seeing patients, writing up cases, history clinics, physical exam clinics. But the kicker is, to learn all the stuff you have to for the problem based learning, the volume is insane, and has necessitated 6-12 hrs of study/writing outside of classes or other activities usually 7 days a week.

The good news is, I don’t myself minding it very much because what we’re learning is so interesting; when I do mind it, I remind myself that it will end soon enough.

I am a single mom with two kids at home, and somehow or the other we are all doing fine, or at least surviving. I think the more “family friendly” a school, the better off you might be.

Good luck –