UDC

Hey folks,

I have not posted here in a few years. I came very close in 2009 to quitting my job in order to start a full-time post-bac program, but ultimately decided it was too financially risky for my family. I’ve changed jobs since then and have a much more manageable schedule. In addition, my desire to become a doctor has not abated. Thus, I am looking at taking some post-bac night courses.

I live in Washington, DC, but I cannot afford to take courses at Georgetown, GWU, or American. Does anyone on the forum have experience or knowledge (first, second, or even third-hand) about the quality of the courses at UDC?

I had a friend who went there for pre-reqs to apply to nursing school (after having a BA in an unrelated field.) She called it kind of a joke, but it got the job done.

It’s not a community college, but it’s also not a top-tier school by any means. Everyone here seems to agree that the important thing is to do well in your courses regardless.

Check out Marymount, they might have something. I believe the University of MD does too. Howard probably does too, although as a private school I don’t know if their tuition is much cheaper.

I’d avoid ANY school where I couldn’t get a quality education, and UDC is at the top of that list in metro DC IMHO.

UMD (if you’re in-state) not only offers a few options in the DC area (UMUC, UMBC, and the campus at College Park), but you’ll get a MUCH better education too.

Audit a course and see for yourself. Everyone warns against UDC yet no one I know has ever taken a course there. It has a “reputation” but see for yourself. I got as far as speaking to their premed advisor. I wasn’t impressed and chose not to pursue auditing the course. I have taken and will take my prereqs at Montgomery Community College. It limits my choices of med schools but every choice has a consequence.

If you live in MD then by all means take the courses at UMD’s Science in the Evening program. It is their version of a DIY postbacc. All the students are nontrads and the classes are small. You get plenty of attention and support.

• croooz Said:
Audit a course and see for yourself. Everyone warns against UDC yet no one I know has ever taken a course there.

EXACTLY, LOL!!!