Unaccredited US undergrad + accredited sciences + great mcat = Med School?

Hey all!

I am in the process of heading back to school to compete the necessary requirements for medical school. I am excited about the process, and I know this is the right decision.

My entire educational career has been the poster boy for “non traditional”. I was homeschooled, received my undergraduate degree from an unaccredited institution (in the US) through distance learning in two years. Worked for two years in a wealth management position where I realized I couldn’t survive. Lol Then I started an app development company and have subsequently sold that. Now I face the dilemma of having a non accredited undergrad and going back to school.

Preferably, I would like to take only the required coursework for medical schools, take the mcat (of course score high!) and then apply for med schools.

Finally the question… Will I need to get a completely new degree, or possibly the standard 90 hrs, or is there a medical school out there (accredited, US only) that would accept my undergrad plus the additional accredited req’s?

If you have any advice or recommendations that would be greatly appreciated! I see links and from pages about foreign degrees, but nothing about unaccredited US degrees.

Additionally, the school I went to was Louisiana Baptist University. They are currently in the process of becoming accredited. Not sure if it will apply to me degree or not.

Thanks in advance!

1. The majority of US/Canadian Medical School required a minimum of 90 credits at an accredited US/Canadian undergraduate institution.

2. there is a minority of schools that will accept a minimum of 30 credits from an accredited US/Canadian institution. However, this option is designed for those students who have foreign degrees.

3)Even with these above, not having a 4 year degree from a fully accredited US/Canadian institution will put you a major competitive disadvantage in the pool of applicants to any particular school.

3. Is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

My advice is to get a 4 year degree, fulfilling your prereqs while doing so. While this will take a year or two longer, it will increase your chances of success by at least one or two orders of magnitude

gonnif,

Would you have by any chances a link of the list of the schools that will accept a minimum of 30 credits from an accredited US/Canadian institution?

I currently have a foreign degrees and a US MBA i thought ( for some time now) that my only option is to complete 90 undergrade credits before applying to med school.

Thanks,

Fatou

• BetterLateThanNever Said:
gonnif,

Would you have by any chances a link of the list of the schools that will accept a minimum of 30 credits from an accredited US/Canadian institution?

I currently have a foreign degrees and a US MBA i thought ( for some time now) that my only option is to complete 90 undergrade credits before applying to med school.

No I do not,

you will have to get onto the current MSAR at aamc.com for MD and CIB at aacom.com for DO. Then double check with each school that indicates 30 credit minimum via website for that school