UNC-Chapel Hill SOM

Hello!!
Things are starting to wind down this semester and thank the lord for that. I’m just not sure how much more data I can shove into my head. Today was the Genetics final and it was pretty much what I had expected. It was basically a 30-question multiple true of false choice test, meaning; chose the most true answer out of the following. As a super bonus…it wasn’t cumulative, yea!!! It was at 8am and I was home by 9:15am. We don’t have our scores back yet, but I am very sure I passed.
Wednesday is my “interview assessment” for Intro to Clinical Medicine. I will interview a standardized patient for 20 minutes covering all the points of a full history. They will assess me on establishing a rapport, empathy, appearance as well as remembering all the components of the history. I am not too worried other than forgetting the questions I need to ask. Once it’s complete, I will be finished with that class…another yea!!!
There are only 8 more labs left in Anatomy! This section is run by a different professor than the previous 3 sections and for some reason it seems so much more straight forward. Also, instead of covering a large section of the body, like pelvis and lower limb, in 7 labs, we are doing the head and neck in 12 labs. Covering such a small area in more labs makes the objectives for each lab a little more manageable. Friday, I held a human brain in my hand and it was the coolest thing I have ever seen. You can look at pictures of the brain all day long, but until you have held one in your hand, you cannot truly appreciate the beauty and complexity of it.
So the home stretch consists of writing a 7-10 page paper for Medicine and Society, the Immunology midterm (next Monday) and final, the Biochem final and the head and neck block exam in anatomy. Last week, I made my study plan for all of these exams so that I could wrap my brain around all of the material I needed to cover.
Today, I interviewed another potential research mentor in the Endocrinology and Fertility department. About 10 minutes into the interview, I realized that I was not going to go with this person. It was not because we didn’t get along, quite the contrary. In fact, we talked at length about how to land a good residency and fellowship and what they look for in potential applicants. We also talked about theater and music and how to perfect a golf swing. The person I interviewed last week, seems to have projects that I can jump right into and is willing to do some much needed handholding on my part. The person today would be better for me if I already had a project idea in mind. I do not have plans to interview anyone else so I think I will go with the first professor.
I also met with some fellow medical students to start the OB/GYN interest group. I noticed that they did not have one, so I decided to start one. Technically, they had one, but nobody was doing anything with it. The meeting went really well and the needed enthusiasm is there with lots of great ideas to get the ball rolling. Now we just need to round together the few brave souls in our class that are still passionate about OB/GYN and make the group a reality!
I am so looking forward to putting this semester behind me. The MS-2’s say the second semester is so much better and more interesting in terms of the material. You know what’s really scary? Christmas is only 40 days away!!
Danielle Inman,
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Hello!
One of the things I noticed about the training in medicine is that there is a lot of “counting down” of the days. It actually began during premed training. I remember sitting in my first Chemistry class 3 years ago, saying to myself, “In 3 years, I’ll be a first year med student!”. I April of 2002, I knew that, “In one year, Ill be sitting for the MCAT!” and the list of examples goes on.
The counting down continues in medical school as I count down the days until the end of the semester, until I am on my rotations, and until I graduate. I have read other diary entries of residents where it still continues…20 more days on ICU, etc. I am curious about this counting down phenomenon. Is it that one more step in the journey will be complete? Is it solace that this one, not so great part, isn’t forever? Or is it that we always have something to look forward to? I think it’s all three! In 23 days, I will have finished my first semester of medical school, I know that it will get more interesting as the days march on and truly look forward to the future!
Friday and today I earned a free lunch as a tourguide for the med school applicants. I know they too are counting down the days, to when they will finally receive an acceptance letter just as I was one year ago. When they receive their letters, they will again begin the counting down to the first day of school.
Today, I shadowed a resident at our Family Practice Clinic after the Immunology midterm and it was the BEST shadowing experience I have had to date. I performed my first pap/vaginal exam today and it was great. I am still so incredibly amazed and honored at the level of trust patients walk into the exam room with. It was such a priviledge to be trusted to perform such an intimate task.
I think grabbing as much clinical exerience as I can during the first 2 years is what will keep my head in the game. Days like today remind me of why I am going through the hell that medical school can be. Being a doctor really is so much more than understanding and curing disease. In fact, I believe that sometimes it’s more about being someone to talk to, and alleviating people’s concerns about their health. I am already counting down the days to 3rd year, but I won’t bore you with the number :wink:
There is one more event I am really looking forward to…111 days until Spring Break in Cozumel! That’s right, my husband and I are going diving in Mexico in March. We are staying at an all inclusive resort right on the beach. The dive operator will pick us up on our pier every morning, take us on 2 dives on the reef and drop us off before lunch. We will spend the afternoon soaking up the sun and some EtOH. Late afternoon naps with the windows wide open is a must. Then it’s get ready for dinner and evening entertainment. We have been to Cozumel several times, but we haven’t gone there in almost 3 years (financial remission). It will be just what the doctor ordered!
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

I know what you mean about the counting down days stuff. I feel like I just started medical school, yet this week there are bunch of applicants for residency around, and I realize that I’ll be in their shoes in 1 more year. I’ll send in my residency application in just 9 months. Time flies when you’re having fun…

Hi Danielle,
I kept a counter on my computer that counted down the hours, minutes and seconds to my graduation from medical school. It seems like it took only a few seconds and there I was, an MD in residency.
Even in residency, the time is flying. The weeks go by so quickly and there is always something interesting to do. I am constantly amazed at how much I have actually accomplished. My goals have changed so much too.
Here you are almost at the end of your first semester of medical school and you have grown in so many ways. When you are on your Christmas break, just sit and think about all the stuff that you have learned. It’s facinating isn’t it?
Even now as I am slugging away at my ABSITE study, I can still remember many of my lectures in path and physio (my two favorite courses in medical school). My gross anatomy work also serves me well. Just enjoy this time and really take some time to relax over the holiday. You have definitely earned it.
Natalie

Reporting from the trenches:
Today was officially the last day of Gross Anatomy and Embryology. I respectably passed this exam and cannot even express the amount of pressure that has been lifted. My plate has been really full these past 2 weeks. While I had a couple of days off with Thanksgiving, the studying did not cease. Not only did we have the Anatomy final to contend with this week, but the Biochem and Immuno finals are next week. I had to do some serious planning to make sure my studying has been effective and that none of the subjects are suffering. Additionally, I have started preliminary background reading on my spring/summer research project. Finally, I have been pulling together the Carolina Obstetrics and Gynecology Interest Group (COGIG) which will be completely rolling in January.
Thanksgiving was a weird experience for me. I found I had to really think about what I wanted to say before I said it. I am the first healthcare person in my family and I realized that the things I wanted to talk about (i.e. medschool, medschool, medschool, etc.) would have been completely meaningless to my family members. My brother seems to take a real interest in what I am doing, by asking questions and listening when I explain things, so that was nice. But, when I start talking passionately about the subject to anyone else they would either begin to glaze over or wrinkle their noses in disgust.
I was telling my brother about my shadowing experience a few weeks ago and how I performed my first vaginal exam and pap smear. He was truly interested, but so was my 6 year old cousin who was intently listening unbeknownst to me. She piped up with her own question, “Nonny, what’s a papsmear?” After an uncomfortable giggle and a look that could have bore a hole in my head from my aunt, I really didn’t know how to respond. She ran outside to ask my dad and then came back in chanting “Papsmear, papsmear, papsmear!” It was hilariously uncomfortable and I felt obliged to apologize to my aunt.
I also noticed this same sort of reaction with my non-medschool friends. I even asked my classmates if they noticed this phenomenon when they visited their families over the holiday. Those with healthcare parents noticed MORE of a connection while those with my situation noticed the gap. Medical school doesn’t resocialize you back into the world of “normal” people. I worry that I will lose my ability to communicate with people who are non-medical. Being isolated in this manner was a challenge I was not prepared for.
For now, I have my classmates and my mentors to listen to my experiences and help me make heads or tails of them. My husband is also great in his willingness to listen, learn and support. Still, I had to explain why the story of Clivus & Glabella Lumbrical and their little baby Umbo was funny. I hope that once med school isn’t the only thing I am doing I will become better socialized, but for now I press on…9 more days.
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Hey Danielle,
I can’t resist reminding you of how anxious you were to dive in and get into studying something last summer. My, how far you have come. Be sure, I repeat, BE SURE to take a well-deserved breather. This whole business of medicine is about checks and balances. Fortunately having a family does keep one sane to a certain degree. Could you ever have imagined how much you have stuffed into your brain in a few short months?
Don’t worry about retention. Since you have learned this material in the first place, you will be able to review it and it will come back to you. I remember too many of my classmates trying to pour thorough review books during the holiday break because they felt like they needed keep the material in their heads. Resist this urge. The facts are there and they will be safe until review time.
Take the holidays and put most of your emphsis on enjoying every minute of your vacation. Don’t pick up anything that has to do with medicine unless you have an assignment over the holidays (Dirty pool if so). You and your husband should do some silly thing that connects you more. (Steve and I used to go to the Christmas Pageant of Peace on the mall in DC and smooch).
Congratulations on getting through your first semester. Next semester is more of the same but should be a little less physically intense.
Natalie
(Yes, counting the days until I am off this Night Float ICU rotation again!)

"Almost MS-1 1/2!!"
After a sleepless weekend and endless hours studying, I am officially done with Biochemistry. This final was a beast because it was cumulative, but I passed. Classes were over on Friday and all that’s left is the cumulative Immunolgy final on Wednesday. I don’t have the energy to study tonight. I have all day tomorrow and I think it will be okay. Tonight the agenda is spaghetti with meatballs, TV and quality time with my wonderful husband. The feeling I have today is just a taste of the overwhelming relief I will feel on Wednesday afternoon. As soon as the exam is over I am heading to Baltimore for a couple of days of family time.
After the exam, I attended my first lab meeting with my new lab. One of the ladies I used to work with as a doula, works in the lab and I didn’t even know it. It is such a small world!! Everyone is really nice and really helpful. In the lab I was in 2 years ago, I hated going and I loved leaving. It’s amazing how when people make you feel stupid, you don’t want to hang around. I thought it was because I didn’t like basic science research and that I would forever turn away from it. Somehow, on a gut feeling, I ended up in this lab and I feel invigorated when I leave and look forward to the next steps in my project. The stuff I am going to be looking at could potentially have a real impact on understanding infertility. After the last final, I am spending the following 10 days putting together a proposal so I can get some funds. I am not entirely optimistic that I will get the money for the spring (tight deadline, first-time attempt, I am a first year, etc.), but it will be good practice for my application for money for the summer. At the very worst, I can get a couple of hours of 4th year elective credit for the spring.
Last night I had a pre-test meltdown before I went to “bed”. I took 2 online assessments (for Biochem) once I finished studying and I failed them both. I emerged from the office frustrated, exhausted and about to burst. “What’s wrong?” David asked. I told him point blank that I was going to fail and that I would have to take Biochemistry again. As the tears started flowing, I further explained that repeating Biochemistry meant decelerating. I further declared that I hated the course director with the intensity of 1000 white suns. He hugged me and told me everything was going to be fine. We figured out the parts I was not getting and made a plan for me to get up early and review the trouble areas. He even drove me to school this morning so I would not have to worry about the bus. Afterwards (before I knew I passed and still convinced I failed) we talked about what if I did fail. Even then he was able to show me the bright side of such a situation. He also reminded me how lucky I was to be a medical student, something everyone in medical school needs to hear from time to time.
I don’t think he really knows how much he helped me through. I have been such a terrible wife the past few months. He hasn’t complained or put any kind of pressure on me whatsoever. I am truly lucky to have such support from such a great guy! How do you thank someone for that?
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Last Wendesday, 12-15-04, was officially the last day of my first semester of medical school. I am pleased to report that I passed all of my classes!! Immediately after the exam I headed north to Baltimore to attend my mom’s work christmas party. I left at 12:30 and arrived at the restaurant at 6:30. I got there later than I wanted because of traffic and because I had to stop several times for coffee due to the “long blinks”. Dinner was great! I finally met my mom’s boss, of whom I had heard many wonderful things. He really is a generous and kind person and I am so happy that she is working in a great place. Her company provides consultatory services for dental practices and she is the VP of finance. Her boss flirtingly said that when I graduate medical school he is going to hire me to run their medical division. I laughed and was flattered by the not so accurate statement ;-).
Thursday, I ran some errands around town, and took a nap on my parents couch. That evening, I finally met my little brother’s girlfriend. She is fantastic!! She makes my brother howl with laughter because she is so charming and full of energy. She can also sing and play guitar. Before Thursday I hadn’t picked up guitar since August, but she and I played and sang a few songs. A great time was had by all. Friday, I headed back home and repeated an experiment in my lab I had done the week before.
Saturday, I did NOTHING and it was fabulous! No studying, no stressing and I didn’t even get out of my pajamas. Sunday, I gave my house the “end-of-semester” cleaning, a real coo in the never-ending battle of entropy, I baked cookies and I spent the evening watching television.
Monday and Tuesday morning, I spent several hours Christmas shopping and I hope to be completely finished tomorrow, which is good because if I do anymore shopping I may have to contact the financial aid office, ACK! I have also been writing and revising my proposal for research money. I swear I stared at my paper more than I actually wrote, but it’s coming together and I should be able to make the deadline. It would be so cool if I actually got the award, but like I said before, this is really a practice run for the summer money application.
I am really happy that I started the research now. When I first approached my mentor, I was really worried about if I would have time and if I would truly find it interesting. The time part remains to be seen and I am hopeful it won’t cause too much stress, but I am definitely interested in the research. I wish I could describe the “tickle” I get in my gut whenever I truly comprehend what I am doing. Not only in research, but just being in medical school and being part of the UNC community. From the top floor of the parking deck at the hospital and medical school you can look back and take in a view of the whole complex. I find it breathtakingly beautiful and find myself almost in love…if that’s the correct way to describe it. Sure, it’s stressful and I am tired, but I really love it so much and a mere glance backwards as I am walking to my car reminds me how happy I am. There are so many people in those buildings that are completely passionate about what they do and there excitement oozes out of everything the say and do. It’s all so exciting!!
Thursday evening, I am heading back to Maryland for the Christmas holiday and will be back on Sunday evening. My plans for next week are to play with my Christmas presents and do a whole lot of nothing! Then round 2 begins…
Danielle Inman
MS-1.5, UNC-SOM

Happy New Year!!!
Another holiday season has come and gone. Each year they get closer and closer together and pass by quicker and quicker. This Christmas has been better for me than in years past for many reasons. Although, I know it’s mostly borrowed, I actually had money to buy presents this year. I spent most of the week leading up to Christmas shopping and wrapping presents and it was great fun. Every year we alternate where we spend Christmas Eve and this year it was my family’s turn. I love waking up on Christmas morning in my parents’ house. My brothers are much younger than me so it’s usually got all the great childhood surprises Christmas is supposed to have. My oldest brother (17 yo) is a senior in high school and received the best Christmas present, IMHO. He opened mail from the University of Maryland Baltimore County that was sitting on my mother’s desk and inside the package was a $64K scholarship for 4 years. The scholarship was based purely on merit and will cover room, board, books and tuition. I am so proud of him!! I wish I had been like him when I was his age…I would probably be a doctor by now. I have nothing but love for him and his accomplishments, though. He is so lucky!
I finished my grant proposal on 12/23, so I was able to relax all last week. I played the latest Myst game on my computer for most of the week. It is my favorite thing to do during winter breaks because it’s cold and dark outside and the world is on pause for a whole week between Christmas and New Year’s. I know, I only have a couple more years of this holiday bliss because the world never pauses in health care. I think that realization made this particular break all the more blissful.
Today was the first day of round 2 for the first years at UNC. It was pretty laid back except for the fact that we started at 8am. After a week of sleeping 10 hours a day and getting up without an alarm clock, the evil beeping of my alarm at 6:15 was brutal. I am glad to be back, however. All that holiday bliss does not promote a healthy lifestyle where, when I am in school, I have a diet and exercise routine. The course load seems relatively lighter than last semester (I have included the time I will spend in my lab for research):
Monday
8-10 Medical Physiology
10-12 Histology Lab****
12-2 Exercise & Lunch
2-5 Research
Tuesday
8-10 Medical Physiology
10-12 Microbiology Lecture
12-2 Exercise & Lunch
2-4 Microbiology Lab
Wednesday
8:30-10:30 Histology Lab
10:30-12 Medicine & Society
12-1 Lunch
1-2 Medical Physiology
2-5 Intro to Clinical Medicine
Thursday
8-10 Medical Physiology
12-1:30 Exercise and Lunch
1:30-3:30 Microbiology Lab
Friday
8-10 Histology Lab
12-2 Exercise and Lunch
2-5 Research
****After March 4th, Histology will be over and we will start Neurobiology and Intro to Pathology.
Overall, I am very excited and optimistic about this coming year. I’ll keep posting to let you know how it’s going.
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Hey guys!
Life is so much calmer after Anatomy. I often wonder about the rationale behind slamming the First Years during the first semester with so many classes and then making the second semester a relative cake-walk. Not that it is, by any means, but I am speaking relatively, of course.
During Wednesday and Thursday of last week we held our second case conference of the year. Last semester we worked on a Motor Vehicle Accident and this one was on breast cancer. We were presented with the case as a large group and then separated into small groups to work out the details and issues of the case. We also had 2 smaller seminars that were really interesting. One was a clinical breast exam seminar and the other was on mammograms. After the Breast Exam seminar I went home and practiced on myself (I know, it sounds weird) so I could have a new appreciation for what breast tissue feels like.
On a more serious note we learned that 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. The last part of the case conference a real cancer survivor came and talked to us about her experiences and it was sobering and enlightening at the same time. It’s hard to explain, but I felt really somber after the conference. I am dreading the day I have to give a patient bad news and all during the conference it occured to me that the day I dread isn’t far away. Even worse, I thought about how I would feel if I, or someone I was close to, was given the news that they have cancer. It’s such an indiscriminate and ugly disease that cause so much pain and suffering. Our survivor said it gave her a chance to really appreciate the things she had in life, but to think of the ordeal she had to face to come to that realization is frightening.
Saturday, I went back to the student run clinic in Whitaker, NC that I went to in November. I loved it!! This time I saw patients with a 2nd year. Last time I saw patients with a 3rd year and the difference was amazing. Seeing the difference really drove home for me how effective clinical rotations are in learning the art of the history and physical. The few short months that the 3rd year had been working on the wards had really honed her clinical skills. The 2nd year knew all of the points by rote, but lacked the finesse. I am, by far, not one to criticize at this point, because my skills are nearly absent, but just observing the difference was really exciting. It was a way for me to see the future a little and see how I will develop over the next few years. As always, I learned a lot and I even saw my first repeat patient.
Classes are starting to gain momemtum, but they are far more interesting this semester. Microbiology lab is really gross, but fun at the same time. Today we looked at Agar plates of our finger prints from last week, YUCK! In 2 more labs we have to bring in samples of our own feces to see what gut flora will grow. Only medical students could find this cool. Can’t wait to write about that experience!!
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

PEEE YEW!!
Ahh… the bouquet of Microbiology Human Gut Flora Lab. Actually, it was a pretty humbling experience. I can now fully appreciate of what I am asking patients to do when I ask them for a stool sample. I can also say I have given my whole body and soul to the profession of medicine. HAHA. What can I say? It was fun!
Today was also the long awaited Carolina Obstetrics and Gynecology interest group meeting that I helped to put together. We had a great turn out… even 2 men showed up! The chair of the department came and talked to us for about 10 minutes about OB-GYN. The manager of the volunteer doula program also came to sign up some of us for a training. My old boss came as well to recruit volunteers to lead tours of labor and delivery. We had pizza and a Q&A session as well. I am very pleased that our hard work lead to a successful and informative meeting.
This past weekend was awesome. I relaxed, went shopping, cleaned the house, and oh yea read some physiology. I am really waiting for this semester to get crazy busy like the fall but it hasn’t happened yet. I almost feel like a normal human being (well, except for having to carry my poop on the bus!)
Friday, I had a bad day in the lab. My experiment was fraught with stupid errors and it didn’t work. Sigh…BUT! One more week and I will find out if I got the grant I applied for over Christmas break. The awardee will be announced during the medical student research banquet on 1/26, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
What else is going on? The owner of my husband’s company just offered to sell him 3 stores in North Carolina. This is risky, but also very exciting. I think it will be a wonderful thing for him to go for. He has always fantasized about owing his own “thing”. Whether it be an invention or a company or an idea, I really think this could be the path to his bliss. How lucky would it be? Two people, in love, following their dreams together!
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Quote:

PEEE YEW!!
I almost feel like a normal human being (well, except for having to carry my poop on the bus!)

I almost fell off of the chair when I read this!! Thanks for the laugh!
Quote:

How lucky would it be? Two people, in love, following their dreams together!

Sounds textbook to me. I hope I’m there someday.

Three weeks and 2 days of the 2nd semester of medical school have gone by and it’s been a month since Christmas. I can’t believe how fast the time is going by! Today, by contrast felt like one of the slowest days of my life.
My husband gave me a lift to school this morning at 7am so I could finish studying for our first Microbiology exam. The exam was from 8-8:50 with 30 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions. At 9am we had a Microbiology lecture from 9-9:30 (she was finished early) and then we waited around for an hour and half for our 11am Physiology lecture. At 12pm there was a short meeting for 1st years who were interested in being advocates for next year’s incoming class. Another Microbiology lecture was scheduled from 1:30-2:30, Lab from 2:30-3:30 and then ANOTHER Physiology lecture from 3:30-4:30. Last semester we had the rest of the day to realx after exams. Today was packed, but I felt like I waited around for a long time. Anyhow, I slayed the exam, so that’s a relief!
I had a great weekend. Saturday night some friends of ours were in town from Myrtle Beach with their 10 month old and we had dinner and played poker. On Sunday night we ate homemade mooshoo pork and watched football. It was so great to be social and hang out with good friends.
Friday was a terribly sad and sober day for many of our classmates. Dispersed throughout the semester we have “Clinically Relevant Topics” and Friday was 9 hours of Domestic Violence education. The day started with 911 clips of women and children screaming and crying for help. We learned a lot about what we can do as physicians to help people who we suspect my be suffering from domestic violence. The day ended with a survivor’s panel. There wasn’t a dry eye in the crowd during this part. Sometimes I am ovewhelmed thinking about the awesome responsibility we will have as doctors. Thursday of this week, we will explore the topic of substance abuse.
Tomorrow is Student Research day. During the morning we will be trained on research ethics and the afternoon will be spent listening to student presentations. I have nothing to present, but some of my classmates that have done research for advanced degrees will be speaking. During the evening is the Student Research banquet and that is when I will find out if I got the grant for my current project. Keep your fingers crossed!!!
The rest of the week, I will be studying for our next exam on Monday covering 7 lectures and labs in Histology. Histology is the class that wants to be a class. They show us a bunch of slides and then try to cover function (which we get in all of our other classes) so it’s sorta sad. After awhile, though, everything starts to look the same.
61/2 weeks until spring break!!
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Update:
No joy on the grant money. SIGH
I am disappointed, BUT I got approval for the 4th year elective credit for my research. So that’s good!! And I am definitely applying again next year…
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Sorry to hear about the grant.
Congrats on approval of the 4 th yr elective credit.
Thanks for keeping us up to date. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Happy Groundhogs Day!! Winter is 1/2 way over in my part of the world.
First, I want to thank all of you who have pm’d me about my posts. They are really encouraging and I am glad that other opmers can benefit from following my journey. Here’s what’s been going on this week:
I took and moderately passed the Histology midterm on Monday. I would have like to have done better, but I was rather unmotivated to study this weekend and my score showed it. Last semester they would post a list of the class scores, next to our test IDs to keep it anonymous, but this semester they aren’t. I wouldn’t mind it so much except the reason they changed it was because people thought it was unfair for the people who didn’t do well. They want to foster a warm, fuzzy non-competitive environment. I like the “ideal” behind that, but reality is far from it. The 3rd and 4th years are competitive and life in general isn’t always fair. I believe a little healthy competition spurs invention, innovation and creative problem solving because when you lose, you learn. It’s better to get a little taste of the unfair in the relatively safe environs of Berryhill Hall, than to try and deal with it later on the wards. But I digress…
I would like to elaborate a little more on 2-year the Intro to Clinical Medicine (ICM) class. As I have described before, our whole class (162) is divided into 5 labs of 33-35 people. Each lab is further divided into Monday, Wednesday or Friday afternoon ICM sessions. I attend the Wednesday afternoon sessions. Last semester we spent 4 weeks on different aspects of the medical interview, 2 weeks discussing our community week (1 week before to prepare and 1 week after to talk about our experiences), 2 weeks practicing with standardized patients, 1 week for individual meetings with our tutors and 1 week for the practical exam. So in 10 or 11 weeks all we really did was learn the interview or “History” aspect of the history and physical.
This semester, we have 6 practical sessions where we learn each section of the physical from head to toe in great detail. We will have another community week with corresponding sessions, practice with standardized patients, tutor meeting and a written and practical exam. By the end of the academic year, we should be completely knowledgeable about how to perform a thorough history and physical on our patients.
Today was the 3rd practical session on the cardiovascular exam and my partner and I taught our group how to perform it. I chose this section because I feel like it was the hardest for me to grasp. Every time I shadowed a physician and they allowed me to listen to the patients’ hearts, I would swear they were pretending they could actually hear something, because I never could! However, after 3 hours of reading and preparing and then practicing on my wonderful husband, I CAN HEAR STUFF!! It is so exciting! By teaching my peers, I learned a lot more as well. Now, I can honestly feel more comfortable weilding my stethescope, using it as a tool, instead of a cool thing to hang around my neck.
I am going to the Bloomer Hill clinic again this Saturday, and I am looking forward to practicing my new listening skills.
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Quote:

Last semester they would post a list of the class scores, next to our test IDs to keep it anonymous, but this semester they aren’t. I wouldn’t mind it so much except the reason they changed it was because people thought it was unfair for the people who didn’t do well. They want to foster a warm, fuzzy non-competitive environment. I like the “ideal” behind that, but reality is far from it. The 3rd and 4th years are competitive and life in general isn’t always fair. I believe a little healthy competition spurs invention, innovation and creative problem solving because when you lose, you learn. It’s better to get a little taste of the unfair in the relatively safe environs of Berryhill Hall, than to try and deal with it later on the wards. But I digress…

Danielle, I appreciate your frustration about not knowing the scores of your classmates. We never had lists posted at GWU but we did know high and low scores and the mean - which helped me get an idea for “where I stood.” But I always wondered and found it frustrating to know so little.
I do NOT think you are going to find third and fourth year competitive in the way that you’re perceiving it now - at least I hope not. The wards should be a collaborative learning environment where you push yourself to do your best, learn the most you possibly can, AND - very important- become an integral member of the TEAM. The only times I observed “competition” on the wards, it invariably meant an uncomfortable environment for all. Those posted lists, for better or for worse, have us view our performance in comparison with the performances of others… and there’s an implication that there have to be superstars, average-performers, and subpar folks. On the wards, if everyone works hard, knows their stuff, and helps everyone else, they’ll ALL be at the top of the curve.
You say, “When you lose, you learn.” On the wards, “losing” will be the times you don’t know an answer during rounds and the individual discomfort / embarrassment / shame involved in that will spur you to do better next time. But the only competition is with yourself, to see how good you can be.
Sorry if this sounds preachy. As I slog my way through intern year I am more and more appreciative of my “teammates” each month and so this is a topic near and dear to my heart at the moment.
Mary

Mary,
I don’t think you sound preachy!! You have been there, and you should know! I love what you are saying and I hope I have that experience during my rotations.
I was lamenting because, in a greater sense, when the disappointment of losing is taken away, a feeling of complacency can creep in. When I don’t perform up to par, I don’t say, “not fair!” I say, “What can I do better?” and I set my goals higher.
Complacency could potentially set up a habit that cannot work in the team environment. A team is only as strong as it’s weakest link. If the link is okay doing the minimum then the whole team suffers.
Like I said, I don’t really care how I get my score as long as I get it. I compete with myself and how I think I should be performing and no one else (well, I do love a little healthy competition) It was just the reason they changed it that I philisophically disagree with.
Thank you for the input . It’s good to hear from the other side of medical school on these sorts of things.
D

Hello!
Today is my husband’s birthday! He’s 42 going on 30, hehe. Since he wanted world peace for his birthday, and I obviously can’t buy that, I got him a Carolina Medicine-zipup-hooded-sweatshirt. I got one too so that we could be twins. Here’s the ironic part: Every year, he practices the Hallmark Hannuka he calls the 14 days of Valentine’s Day. Starting on February 1st he gives me little gifts like chocolate, stuffed animals and cards everyday through Valentine’s day. He gave me a little Snoopy card today! On HIS birthday. He’s so sweet!!
Otherwise, this morning began as everyday does. I woke up, had some coffee and headed to school. I was expecting to participate in a 2 hour case conference for Physiology and ended up watching an Aortic Valve Replacement procedure with 3 of my classmates. As part of our cardio block in physiology we were offered the opportunity to observe heart surgery. I was warned that it might be a short notice thing, but I was called at 8am and was in scrubs by 9am. IT WAS THE COOLEST THING!!! I saw a human heart beating!! The surgeon explained the cardio physiology stuff as the patient was switched to the heart-lung by-pass machine. I watched as they restarted the heart and was almost in tears. It was way better than sitting in a Micro lecture. We were done by noon, but I have been jazzed all day.
This afternoon, in Micro-lab, we performed tests on cultures of our noses and throats that we had gathered last week to identify the microorganisms. I had trouble figuring mine out, but after this morning, nothing could get me down.
Saturday I went to the Bloomer Hill clinic again, but this time I worked in the lab. I drew blood on 3 people and got them all on the first stick. That was a huge confidence booster! I also did various other things like finger sticks and urine tests. I really enjoy this experience. I love talking to the patients and learning from them and about them.
This Saturday I am attending the Triangle Consortium for Reproductive Biology annual research and poster presentations. My research mentor is presenting in the afternoon and is springing for lunch for the whole lab. It’s an all day affair so I am a little worried that I won’t be able to pay attention to everything. I sit in lecture halls a LOT and I tend to automatically turn the brain off when I see extraneous information on powerpoints. I am interested in hearing about some of the projects so it should be fun.
4 more weeks till spring break!
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Hello!
So…remember when I was wondering if this semester was going to get tough? Well, it’s here!! I feel like everything is coming to a head at the end of February. Next Thursday, it starts with a Micro Lab practical exam. The following Monday is the Physio Mid-term (37 lectures!!!). Two days later is the Micro Bacteriology unit exam (25-30 bugs!!) and the week ends with the Histology final. I have to finish my FAFSA before March 1st and the deadline for the summer research grants are due March 1st. ACK!
I know it will all be fine, it’s just the anxiety of looking at it all before it happens. The lesson here is time management. I started studying for Micro and Physio last Saturday. My plan is to review and outline 2-3 lectures (physio) and 2-3 bugs (micro) everyday, but this alone takes 3-4 hours of time and classes have not slowed down. I did find a fun resource for studying micro; it’s called Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple. It’s a hilarious book with cute cartoons that pull together familiar everyday concepts with the bugs so you can remember what they are, what they do and how to treat them.
I am looking forward to tomorrow. I am going to get my hair cut as it’s been 7 months since I have been to the salon (I am not busy or anything!). Tomorrow night is the medical school’s winter gala aka Med School Prom. I am still amazed that I still fit into my high school prom dress, although I am starting to look more womanly in it than I would like. We have dinner planned with 4 other married med student couples. It will be nice to go out and be social.
Monday we are off, thank God! It was an extra day for snow, which never happened, so yea for us! 3 more weeks til Spring Break.

Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM