UNC-Chapel Hill SOM

What can I say about the past 5 weeks? WOW!! The last time I wrote I was preparing for midterms, finalizing my summer grant application, taking care of my taxes and getting the federal aid application complete. I am pleased to report that I passed all of my midterms. Physiology was not passed with flying colors. In fact, much to my surprise I barely skimmed by. I met with the professor Thursday of last week and we determined what my weakness was. I assumed it was the wordiness of the questions, but it turned out to be the way I interpret graphical data. I had always thought that graphical data was my strong suit, but I am glad to find out now that it isn’t. I understand that many board exam questions contain graphical material that I will need to analyze in order to understand the questions. The other 2 exams were not stellar either (I caught a nasty cold the weekend before), but I did pass!!
My application for summer research funds is complete and turned in, although I will not know the status until early April. I had not been to the lab in three weeks because I have been away and when I returned I found out my PI was leaving town for 10 days. Needless to say there will be a no-so-unwelcome-lull in my research preparation.
We also just found out that there will be a $1500/year tuition increase next year and criminal background checks that we have to pay for. Many grumbles were heard in the audience when that news was dropped on us. Even with the increase we are still one of the cheapest public schools in the nation. I just hope they really do something with that money. It erks me when things like taxes or tuition are raised and you don’t see a damn bit of difference.
After the midterms, I spent that Saturday at the rural free health clinic. It was so great! I ran the pharmacy desk and took one patient. The pharmacy desk helps our patients access the medicine they need. They would otherwise be unable to afford theirs meds were it not for programs offered by the various pharmaceutical companies. I was surprised to see how many ways patients can access medications at little or no cost through these programs. It was a good surprise learning that some of the pharma companies aren’t so evil. The patient I took had everything imaginable wrong with him except maybe his heart. He was so sick! That’s what happens when you can’t afford your health care; you wait until you are really sick and show up at a free health clinic run by medical students. I interviewed him, performed a physical on him, assessed him (with the help of a 2nd year and the attending) and developed a plan. It was a very rewarding experience and I really hope I see him next month as we planned.
The following week I headed out to Belhaven, NC to spend my 2nd community week with a Family Physician. My goals for this week were to perform a full history and physical on at least one patient. The minute I walked into the practice on Monday morning my preceptor sent me over to the hospital to evaluate someone who had fallen the night before and was brought to the ER by ambulance. She had everything wrong with her from blindness to peripheral neuropathy (lack of feeling in her feet) and on top of that she was difficult to interview because she was loopy from her pain meds. Most of the information I got from her was from her daughter and her chart. With that done I spent the rest of the week interviewing patients and performing focused physical exams based on their complaints. I practiced presenting my findings to my preceptor to find that I forgot a lot of anatomy (which I was light-heartedly teased about). Thursday night of my community week I observed an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. It was a really interesting experience. They decided, since I was observing, that they would do what’s called a “step 1 meeting”. AA has a 12-step program and step 1 is this: Step 1 – We admitted we were powerless over alcohol; that our lives had become unmanageable. Four of the six people present shared their tremendous stories with me.
That Friday I got home around 7 pm and unpacked. I slept in my own comfy bed for 8 blissful hours and woke up on Saturday morning around 9am. I spent the day packing and preparing for my trip to Cozumel. My husband and I left on Sunday morning and arrived in Cozumel at 2pm. It was a fantastic, much needed island get-away. The weather was a balmy 80-85 degrees everyday and we were blessed with a room that had a spectacular view of the aqua blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. The hotel was all-inclusive so we didn’t need to spend a dime on food or alcohol. We did splurge a little on scuba diving and on Friday we rented a little moped and rode around the island all day. We visited some Mayan ruins and explored the unexploited eastern side of Cozumel. It’s such a beautiful place!! We met some really nice people and I just cried when we were heading back to the airport last Sunday. Classes started Monday at 8am, but I couldn’t make it!! I didn’t get to be until midnight, I had some trip hangover and we lost and hour from the time zone changes so I was just pooped. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one so I don’t feel so bad.
So it’s Saturday morning and I am back in the grind for the home stretch of my first year of medical school. Neurobiology started this week and we have a fantastic instructor. I have heard so many wonderful things about this course from upperclassmen. The lectures are engaging, the labs are fun and the professors truly love what they are teaching. Intro to Pathology starts next week, but I heard it is really easy (HAHA). My husband came to school with me on Wednesday to be a “med student for a day”. I think he really got good taste for what my day is like and who I interact with everyday. During the last lecture he even stopped playing on the Internet and listened to the presentation. I loved spending the day with him! Sometimes I wish he were a med student too and that we could go to school together and learn together :wink:
This weekend, I am spending the Easter holiday with my family before things get crazy again. I cannot believe how quickly time passes, ESPECIALLY this last month! Not surprisingly, I caught a little cold this week again. Many people caught a bug or 2 after their community weeks. Remember what Elmo says, “Don’t forget to wash your hands!” Speaking of which, I need to find a good therapy for dry skin because my hands were raw after community week from washing my hands so many times.
So until next time: 8 weeks left of 1st year!!!
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Hi there,

Therapy for dry hands: Neutrogena Norweigan Formula in the little white tube. Keep it in your pocket and apply after each hand wash and when you go to bed at night.

EverSoft is good too but not as good as the Neutrogena. I scrub my hands at least five to six times a day and have washings in between patients so I keep hand lotion in my coat pocket at all times. Be sure to work some around your cuticles too.

Watch out for development of latex allergy if you are using latex gloves. This can mimic very dry skin and not clear up until you dump the latex.

Natalie

Tarheels ROCK!!
I feel like I am slacking on my reports of medical school. In some ways, there are fewer and fewer “new” events in my day to day like there were last semester. There are less surprises and things to get used to. This may sound gloomy but it’s actually great because I have more time to savor the moments without being overwhelmed. I also know it won’t last long given the nature of the training :wink:
We just finished the respiratory block in physiology and will be moving on to renal. In Micro we had our parasitology exam last Monday and started virology last week. Intro to Pathology also started; this is a 4 hour class once a week on Thursdays with a lecture and lab/small group component. Neuro is cranking along and we have our midterm a week from today. Intro to Clinical Medicine 1 has 2 more sessions left; the neurological exam and then the final assessment and final test. Six more weeks and first year will be over!
It’s spring time here in Chapel Hill and what a fun town this place was last Monday when the Tarheels won the ACC championship!! Franklin Street was filled with fans, 26,000 strong. There weren’t many people in class at 8am last Tuesday.
I just found out I was accepted as a Holderness Fellow for the summer for research. This is good stuff and it’s a lot more money than I was even hoping for.
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Hey guys!
I also post my entries online for my non-opm readers. My husband read my last post and thought it was too short. He has given me the following to post to the blog, and he said it was okay to share it with OPM:
April 13th, 2005 (addendum from David to previous entry)
Hi all!
Now I understand that most of you look forward to Danielle’s entries. Let me just say, that as busy as she has become, the priority of maintaining an on-line diary is lower now than ever before. Hence, the reason you are reading my words.
What has been happening in the world of the MS1 we have all come to know and love? Let us see!
As Danielle stated, she has been awarded the Holderness Medical Foundation Program fellowship to do TBET research. I am sure many of you are wondering what this is exactly. Well, it is a program “designed to improve the health of the citizens of North Carolina and the nation by enriching student-faculty relationships through financial support for scholarly and research activities pursued jointly.”
Danielle and her mentor/advisor in her research are both extremely excited about this opportunity to pursue their joint quest for answers as well as the possibility to help the citizenry of North Carolina and the nation. Danielle is going to be a busy girl this summer.
Soon-to-be, “Dr.” Danielle, (Well, she did get a piece of mail addressed to her in that manner) is also working behind the scenes helping to build the tours and scheduling for the Women’s Resource Center at the UNC hospital. She is working with Doulas and various individuals to keep her torch burning.
Danielle failed to mention that she is going to be the Lab coordinator for the Bloomer Hill Clinic next year. In her “Free Time” (HA HA HA) this summer, she will be preparing for her roll in this facility as well.
Danielle has been selected to head the OB-Gyn interest group within the UNC Med students. Danielle is very excited and has taken the reigns with gusto. Her duties in this endeavor have not been made clear to me; however, I can only assume that she will be organizing meetings, luncheons and the like as she has in so many other positions. This too is a position that will provide her with so much information and joy as she loves the birthing process.
What about me, your favorite MS1’s husband? Well, I can only offer my assistance and give the many needed neck and back rubs as she returns home each day. I watch, daily, as she studies, learns, discusses and performs her duties as a med student. Each day is a challenge, yet I know that Danielle will rise above it. She is one of the smartest individuals I have ever met. I, like so many other spouses throughout history and today, must remain content to sit and wait for the days that we can enjoy our wives/husbands.
Don’t get me wrong! As spring has hit the Carolinas, we have hit the bike trails, gone on family visits to the mid-Atlantic region and plan on several little vacations. I am not one to sit back and watch Danielle become all work and no play. It is in the playing that we round out our lives. I intend on keeping her as playful as I can.
Husband of an MS1
David

Is he the sweetest or what?
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Yeah for curves! The neuro exam was a stinker, but thankfully graded on a curve so I just made the passing grade. I am so frustrated with my exams this semester. I study and study and study until my eyes pop out of my head and I barely pass. At least I am passing, right? I never realized how hard it was to be a mediocre student, but at the same time it’s a joy to be an equal among my peers. A students, get ready ‘cuz you may not be A students in medical school.
Thursday night, my husband’s best friend came over with a homemade spudgun. We shot off a few potatoes and ate pizza and a good time was had by all. You would not believe some of the technology of spudguns. Google it and you will see some of the most amazing homemade weapons of “mash destruction”.
Anyhow, it’s the homestretch for us. The last 3 weeks of classes and I am salivating for summer. Swimming pools, barbeques, hot weather and no exams!! Although, I have been peeking at next year’s syllabus and really looking forward to learning the material. The second year is arranged into blocks by body systems, i.e. Urinary, Respiratory, etc. Next year they are going to integrate Pharmacology into the system blocks instead of having it as a separate class so that should be interesting.
I met some of next year’s new first years this past weekend at the “Second Look Day”. They were so giddy and excited about UNC. Some were actually still deciding, which I found utterly surprising. I had one in my tour group and I think by the end of the tour she was convinced.
I am looking forward to this weekend. My brother is in the play Peter Pan and the rest of the weekend will be spent visiting with family. I also need to practice my physical exam skills for my assessment, so there will be plenty of bodies for the picking if they are willing.
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Hello everyone!
Another month has whizzed by and come to a close. I cannot believe how quickly time is passing for me. Why is it that when things suck they go by slowly and when things are exciting they go by quickly? I wish it were the other way around.
Our Medicine and Society class has come to a close and next Wednesday Intro to Clinical Medicine 1 will be over for me. I will be tested on my physical exam skills and then a written test on the material we have learned this semester. I practiced on my brother and mother this past weekend and my mother was surprised at how much I have learned. I am actually amazed at how much I still don’t know, to be perfectly honest. My father shared his medical issues with me which I thought was interesting. I think it was a way for him to connect and relate to me. My only response was, “You should see a doctor!”
There are 9 days of classes left and I am gearing up for the week of finals that follow. I have set up a study schedule that will start this Saturday and I have set up meetings with my professors to cover ambiguous material. Thursday the 12th is a reading day. Friday is the Virology final. I have that weekend to prepare for the Neurobiology and Pathology final on Monday the 16th. Tuesday the 17th is another reading day to prepare for the Physiology final on Wednesday the 18th. So, needless to say I will be very swamped the next few weeks. After the last final I plan on napping until the evening during which I plan on consuming copious amounts of ethanol. Thursday and Friday I will be recovering and cleaning my office.
The weekend after finals I am teaching a Lamaze class. No rest for the weary! I am excited to be teaching again though. I love pregnant people! The week after finals I will start full time-ish in my research lab. Even though I will be “working” this summer, I expect it to be much more low-key than school. The main difference being that I will not have to take my work home with me. Once I am done for the day, the day belongs to me and what ever whims I choose to pursue.
On a side-note the 2nd years are finished next week and will begin preparing for Step 1 of the boards. They are very tired and excited to be finished with the classroom portion of their training. Their rotations start the last week in June! I can’t help but fantasize about me and my classmates this time NEXT year.
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

Happy Cinco de Cuatro
Clinically speaking, I have reached the level of MS-2 (okay, I’m reaching!) I just finished my Intro to Clinical Medicine 1 class today with an assessment of my physical exam skills and a written test of the finer points. I received very positive feedback from my preceptor on my performance and the written test was, thankfully, very straightforward.
I can’t believe that in 2 more weeks I will be DONE with first year!! I also can’t believe that I now have 4 finals to study for. I have been working really hard with the Neurobiology material by talking with a tutor and the instructor and studying and talking stuff out on my own (Yes, I talk to myself!) The Virology final is next Friday so I plan on starting that material tonight. The Physiology final will cover respiration, renal and GI and I have been keeping up with that material. The Pathology and Neuro exam are a week from Monday, but there are only 6 lectures and 6 labs to study for in Path so I think it will be okay. I am taking a break from the lab until summer when I will start full time.
Tomorrow, a potential MS-1 for next year is coming to class with me to observe a small group case discussion in Neuro. This was the one who was still considering which school to attend during the 2nd look weekend. I am excited and hope she will see what a great school UNC is.
Mother’s Day is Sunday and I think instead of getting her a card I will write her a letter. I think cards are nice, but sometimes they don’t really say what you feel.
Until next time!!
Danielle Inman
MS-1, UNC-SOM

I am an MS-2!!! YEA!!!
Yawn!! As I roll out of bed at 10:30am with nothing to do but get a pedicure and a haircut. I am DONE with first year. What a relief!! All the grades aren’t in yet, but I feel pretty good about the exams and I am sure that I am in good standing for next year. After the Physiology final yesterday, I had an ice cold beer on the steps of Berryhill with some of my classmates. Once everyone was finished with the exam, we checked out of our labs and went to a local bar for free lunch and a keg. I was tipsy by 1:30 and sober again by 6:00.
We went to Kanki for dinner and while we were waiting for our food I got a phone call from my old best friend from middle and high school. We spent so much time together growing up, but as we entered those late teens and early 20’s we grew apart. My cousin ran into her last weekend and got her contact information. We talked on the phone for about an hour last night just reminiscing and catching up. I haven’t had a friend like that since I moved away 8 years ago and I really missed it. I hope to spend some time with her this summer.
As I wake up from my study fog and look around me I am appalled by the my sloppiness I have made my husband deal with, ACK! I will definitely be scrubbing the house down female style over the next few days. I haven’t really had time to begin reflecting on the past year and on what I learned, so I hope to spend the next few days thinking about it. I’ll be sure to share my thoughts.
Danielle Inman
MS-2, UNC-SOM
P.S. I have decided not to go to the OPM convention. While I would love to see some of you after 2 years (God, it’s been that long?) I have the opportunity to go to the beach that weekend and I REALLY need an infusion of sand, sun and salt. BUT…I will be thinking of you :wink:

Some thoughts on 1st year:
It’s been a week since school let out and since that time I have received all of my final grades. Having passed all of my first year classes would now officially put me in the category of MS-2. Many are probably wondering how I feel. Do I feel smarter? Do I feel more “doctorly”? Am I qualified to give advice yet? The answer to all of the above would be no. Nothing tremendously profound has changed about me that I can tell other than I have several rapidly fading facts in my head. I know how to use my diagnostic kit, but I certainly do not know how to help you if I find something abnormal. I have also gained some confidence in interviewing you about your symptoms. However, if you ask me what it means or why it happens, I could only make an educated guess at this point. If you were to compare my knowledge to a meter stick, I would only be about 1 centimeter, if that.
First year has given me part of the foundation of the house that is the knowledge I will need to be a doctor. I have learned about molecules and how they interact within the cells of the body. I have learned about cells and how they look and interact within the tissues of the body. I have seen thousands of slides of normal tissues from organs within the body and I have completely dissected and named the major structures within the human body. I have learned the basic physical principals about the major systems of the human body. I have learned how to talk to and examine a whole person all while trying to consider the person’s fundamental beliefs and expectations about illness. Most importantly, I have learned how to learn efficiently. I have coped with an amazing level of stress and expectations all while trying to keep the big picture in focus.
I have met hundreds of new people; patients, doctors, nurses, educators and fellow students. Each patient has been completely unique and incredibly giving in their trust of my novice abilities. Each doctor has taken me under their wing and taught me tricks of the trade. Each nurse has insisted that I perform at my best. Each educator, highly respected in their field has shared their “playground” of knowledge with me. Each student, ahead of me or behind me has shared my passion and my pain of this amazing process.
The person with whom I have shared the most with, however, is my husband. He has been at my side the whole time. Congratulating me on each little success and lifting my spirits with every little defeat. He always reminds about the day I was accepted to medical school and how happy I was. He always reminds me that in 3 more years, I’ll have “M.D.” after my name. He could probably tell you more about how I have changed with more accuracy than I could. I thank God everyday, that David is by my side and part of my life.
Everyday, I look forward to tomorrow. What will I learn? Who will I meet? How will these things and these people shape and mold my journey? I suspect, this time next year, I will look back on the coming year, with another centimeter of knowledge and another brick in my foundation, and still feel like I can never know enough.
Danielle Inman
MS-2, UNC-SOM

Hello!
I thought I would write a bit about how the summer is going so far. I spend most of my day in the research lab. That, as any research, has its ups and downs. I have been trying to set up a PCR experiment on 16 samples of endometrium from different days of the normal menstrual cycle. The first step is to get isolated RNA in suspension. I was very lucky because it was already in the freezer waiting for me. The next step is to quantitate the mass of RNA per unit volume. This is not so easy. It requires at least 3 dilutions of the samples, as I am basically guessing which dilution will work, and a standard curve with a known amount of RNA. My plate is read and values show up. I have done this step 4 times because the first time I didn’t dilute enough, the second time my standard curves was very far from linear and the third time I still had not diluted enough.
So I finally figured out how much RNA is in each sample and I prepare the second step which is turning the RNA into DNA or cDNA. It’s set up so that each tube will have approximately the same amount of cDNA. Then the third step is using a probe on the cDNA to see if a certain gene is transcribed. Well, I’ll be damned if I didn’t make the cDNA right first time. So I had to do the cDNA and the Probe step a second time. I will know in about an hour whether or not this attempt worked. Luckily, I work with the nicest research people who understand that newbies to PCR make mistakes in calculations, pipetting errors and just plain stupid mistakes. It’s just amazing the potential error for each step. This experience has taught me to be thoughtful and careful in the lab as each mistake costs money and valuable time.
Every Wednesday afternoon I attend the OB/GYN grand rounds. It’s about an hour each time and there is usually a visiting lecturer and each time the topics are vastly different. The really cool part is that I understand about 80% of the material being presented so it’s a wonderful reinforcement that I am actually learning something in medical school. Last year I would have understood about 30%. Next week, I will probably shadow my research mentor in surgery and the clinic, so I am really looking forward to that.
In my spare time, I play cards online, watch movies or workout. It’s really nice not taking my work home with me. I am writing a skit for the orientation video in August. It’s a spoof on Legally Blonde and Star Wars and its called Medically Blonde – the Adventures of Elm Forest. I had people over a few nights ago and we watched the movie and brainstormed about the layout of the skit. I hope the new MS-1’s find it a funny as we do!!
Last weekend, I drove to Maryland to watch my little brother graduate from high school…sigh…he is growing up so fast and I just adore him so much. My parents threw a large party for him on Saturday and family and friends came over to celebrate by the pool with grilled food and alcohol. A bunch of us grabbed the guitars and sang for 3 hours out on patio. It was awesome!! The best part was when my best friend from middle school came over with her 4 year old son. I was nervous about seeing her again after all this time, but I am glad we were able to meet again. She looks wonderful and is doing well.
This weekend David and I are heading to Myrtle Beach for the weekend. Our anniversary was 6/6 but because of our family obligations we are celebrating it this weekend at the beach. The weather forecast predicts sunny skies and mild water so I am very excited about that. We have been married for 7 years!! It feels like it was just yesterday.
Danielle Inman
MS-2, UNC-SOM

Hello there,
I saw someone die last weekend. It kinda put a damper on our Saturday morning at the beach. There we were, catching rays and David said, “Oh my God!” I opened my eyes, sat up and looked in the direction of the commotion. Four lifeguards were carrying a slightly blue and big teenager out of the surf. They laid him on the sand and began CPR. EMS arrived and began resuscitation efforts immediately. We were very close to where they pulled him out and were able to observe everything. They continued CPR as they put him on the gurney and into the ambulance. We found out later that they were unable to revive him. It’s hard to believe that a little boogie boarding can take your life like that. I guess if you end up under a nasty wave you can hit the bottom and break your neck. The rest of the day the lifeguards were on edge and blew their whistles on anyone going in the surf past their knees. I can only imagine how the family must feel.
On a lighter note, my research is going well. The experiment I described last week worked and I obtained some interesting data. My next step is to perform immunohistochemistry (IHC) on tissue. It’s basically cutting bits of tissue into very small slices. I will take the slices and place a combination of antibodies on them. Those with the protein I am looking for will change color and I will be able to observe this under a microscope. This will, hopefully, support the PCR data I obtained and the data collection portion of my proposal will be finished. Now, if the IHC does work out, then I will likely do a few extra probes for other proteins and if those work out, I should have a pretty interesting set of data from which I can finalize a hypothesis and write a paper. Unfortunately, I just found out today that our lab technician is leaving in three weeks! That leaves me as the only person that knows the inner workings of the lab and I’m here to tell you, that isn’t much. However, I think in three weeks I can get a handle on the duties to minimally run the lab, but I hope they find someone quick!!
I shadowed in the Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) clinic last Friday. It was interesting, but I really only sat through two full patient consults so I don’t feel like I got a thorough understanding of what the clinic is really like. I am definitely going back this week and I am also planning on observing surgery on Thursday.
Other than that, I try to get to the gym everyday. I saw Batman Begins on Saturday. Man, that was good!! I wasn’t sure about Christian Bale as Batman, but he did a phenomenal job. Liam Nissan (who sorta looks like my husband) was also great. Go see it!!
Danielle Inman
MS-2, UNC-SOM

Danielle,
Seeing your first person die is tough. Its even rougher when you are one of the people trying to keep them from dying.
Good luck with the research. It sounds interesting.

Hi everyone!

I know it’s been awhile. During the past month things have been pretty routine around here; so not much new to report on a weekly basis. This entry could be a bit long so I have broken things up. If you are only interested in one or two of the aspects of my life you only need to read those sections. OR you can read it all!

RESEARCH

As always research has its good days and bad days. My project is coming along in fits and starts. I will not be able to accomplish as much as I would have liked this summer, but I have arrived at a comfortable place (woosaah) with that. I have a couple of options that I am mulling around in terms of my future involvement with the lab. First, I can continue to pursue data for credit like I did last semester. This would be good because I think I can get that last morsel of data that would really round out my project into something publishable. The only down side I am facing is that my grades may suffer. This year we have the opportunity to get honors and that is something I would like to strive for. Additionally, I am involved in many activities this year which may also spread me pretty thin. I could simply pause my research and dive back in for a year between 3rd and 4th year. This has many benefits, but the biggest drawback is delaying graduation by a year.

My mentor has hopes of submitting my abstract to a Reproductive Endocrinology meeting occurring in March of next year. The deadline for submission is October 18th. The dates of the meeting are during our Reproductive Endocrinology block. Kinda karmic! I won’t really miss anything new if I go since I have learned a lot of it this summer already.

SCHOOL

Classes resume again in about 2 weeks. This year our schedule is separated into 11 discrete organ system blocks with Pharmacology and Pathology integrated into each block. There are one or two exams per block. Our fist block is the only one that isn’t an organ system and it’s called Methods of Clinical Diagnosis. Within this short 3 week block we will observe an autopsy, learn about the laboratory, interpret x-rays and work on a large clinical case in small groups. Classes begin on Wednesday afternoon August 10th after a short morning orientation. We will have 19 lectures between Wednesday and Friday afternoon!! Talk about hitting the ground running.

In addition to the organ system blocks we will also continue with the Intro to Clinical Medicine course. My class is still on Wednesday afternoons. This class will continue to hone my clinical skills by giving me practical experience on the wards. I will work on focused interviews and physical exams corresponding to each system block I am learning. Additionally, I will begin learning the steps of the differential diagnosis as well as the pelvic and digital rectal exam.

I am receiving additional 4th year elective credit for 2 classes during the fall. The first is the Rural Health elective that accompanies my office as lab coordinator for the Bloomer Hill clinic. This class requires a meeting once a month after clinic and that I keep a journal for my patient encounters at Bloomer Hill. (hmmm… that will be hard, NOT). The second class is called Complimentary and Alternative Health. This class meets once a week on Monday nights and will likely involve outside reading and discussion during class.

The last additional class will occur during the spring for me on Tuesday afternoons. It’s our Health and Social Sciences class and this is the 2nd year equivalent of the Social Medicine class we had as first years. The seminar I selected is called Design of Disease. This seminar will evaluate the how societies label disease and how that affects the course of treatment in certain diseases. So it’s anthropologic at its core and I hope it will be the least socialist of the seminars available.

EXTRACURRICULAR

As usual, I have many “irons of the fire” and “burn the candle at both ends”! There are many metaphors used to describe the lifestyle of a busy person and it usually involves fire, but I love it! My 2 biggest projects this summer are teaching childbirth classes and filming my orientation video spoof, “Medically Blonde”. The childbirth class went very well and as always I enjoy teaching pregnant people about childbirth. I was paid for my services so that makes it even more of a bonus. We are almost finished filming Medically Blonde and it’s been a blast. Follow the link to see a picture of our Chiuaua. (http://www.unc.edu/~dinman/diary/bo2.jpg)

Many more EC’s will be coming during the next few months. The biggest thing will be the OB-GYN interest group. Since I am in charge of this group, I will have the opportunity to expose many new medical students to the specialty through my contacts in the women’s hospital and the medical school. The next thing is the Bloomer Hill clinic; I will have to attend at least 6 clinics during the course of the school year. Then there is the Family Medicine Interest Group; my responsibility is to coordinate student shadowing in the clinic and to set up vitals workshops for the 1st years before they go to their first community week.

Other optional activities include continuing my services a tour guide and SHAC. However, given everything else I am responsible for, I may give up those activities. I also have to continue with my exercise routine (I swam 58 laps last week!!) and spend time with my husband.

PERSONAL

I know I don’t write much about my personal life. Given the purpose of these entries, I leave a lot of personal stuff out. This year I am going to try to add a little more and see how it goes. So here goes.

Today is my brother’s 18th birthday. This day makes me feel old because my baby brother is now an adult, but he’s WAY more mature than I was at his age. All I wanted to do was get away from my parents so they would stop telling me what to do. Sometimes I compare myself to my brother and wonder what the difference is and why I had so much trouble adjusting to adult life than he does. I think it comes down to guidance. I was told what NOT to do and he has been told HOW to do it. This is not my parent’s fault as clearly they learned from the mistakes on me, but golly what a difference it makes. So parents, when dealing with a thick headed teenager, don’t just give up. Give them guidance and they will do the right thing.

On a positive note, my husband secured a really good job with a local telecom company in RTP as a project manager. His first day on the job he fired 6 people. Back in March he was laid off from the cable company he worked for. After high hopes of taking over the business all attempts fell through and he was left without work. This is always difficult to deal with financially and psychologically, but I think deep down he was excited to be rid of that job. He worked very long hours and it was very unrewarding at the end of the day. Left over financial aid and my summer stipend carried us through to now and I will admit I was worried about how we would manage this coming year. Fortunately, things always seem to work out. He was able to do about 4 landscaping projects where he earned some cash. With the income from this new job, we may even be able to buy a house next year.

So that’s what’s going on and flying through my mind! I am really excited to begin the last year of classroom and to transition into the clinical part of my training. I will write again when classes resume.

Danielle Inman

MS-II, UNC-SOM

Ah…the dog days of summer…
Today is my birthday and it sure feels good turning 29 again.
My day started early with an abdominal myomectomy of uterine fibroids. My mentor let me observe 3 surgeries today! It was so great!! The last 2 procedures were laproscopic and all I can say is WOW. I can’t wait to perform one of these. They basically fill the abdominal cavity with air and place a camera in the abdomen. Then they make two more incisions for the tools and you watch the whole thing on TV.
I had a little scare though after the first surgery. I returned my scrubs and went to another building with my mentor. While observing the last procedure I realized I had left my wedding ring in the back pocket of the first pair of scrubs I had put on. I left the OR and called the nurse who lent me the scrubs and she said she would look for them, but I had to come back right away. So, I changed again, quickly, putting my shirt on inside out without realizing it and ran back to the other building. Thankfully, she was able to find them. I hugged her and almost started crying. I would feel terrible if I had lost my wedding band. So I don’t think I will wear it when I am working in the hospital from now on.
One thing that amazes me about surgery is how long you can go without eating, drinking or peeing. The same phenomenon occurred when I was attending to women as a doula during labor. I could go for hours and still feel awesome afterwards. I absolutely love medicine and I am so thrilled that I have the opportunity pursue this passion.
Danielle Inman
MS-2, UNC-SOM

Many surgeons solve this problem by putting the wedding band on a necklace and wearing it that way when in the hospital.
Glad you’re liking what you’re doing–
cheers
joe

I’ve seen a lot of this as well…
Danielle,
I’m so glad that you’re having a good time and learning a lot…
I have really enjoyed the time I’ve spent in surgery and yes… I’ve noticed the same phenomenon…

Hey ya’ll,

Well, it’s been awhile and I suck for not posting often. The next three posts are entries from the past few months. Enjoy!!
8/10/2005
Classes officially started for us 2nd years this afternoon. After a brief orientation to the block curriculum and some logistical stuff we hit the ground running at 1pm with Radiology and Pharmacology. Our first block midterm is Wednesday, but it is open book and take-home. However, to make it more confusing the midterm won’t have questions about Pharmacology. Clinical Epidemiology starts tomorrow afternoon with a small group workshop. Our small group preceptor is one of the doctors that comes out to the Bloomer Hill clinic and I really like her, so I am psyched.
I have been spending the week helping out with 1st year orientation which started yesterday. That was such a blast. We showed them the orientation video and I am happy to say, they laughed!! Tonight we are taking our 1st year labs out to dinner and the more ambitious people will be hanging out at the local bars this evening. I am not sure if I want to go out or not, but I’ll see how dinner goes. I have also started organizing the OB-GYN interest group kick-off meeting. I have the department chair, my research mentor, a midwife and the manager of the doula program coming to talk about people can be involved and get experienced with women’s health as an underclassmen. The meeting is August 30th, and I am really excited about this year!
Danielle Inman
MS-2, UNC-SOM

Part 2… (Entry from Bloomer Hill Journal)
9/10/2005
I am fairly new to drawing blood. The site of it used to make me a little bit queasy and I never liked getting stuck. After completing the hematology/oncology block as a second year I have a new appreciation for blood. When I removed the tubes of blood from the centrifuge I could see each layer; the plasma at the top, the white cells in the middle and the red blood cells at the bottom. I knew what each layer was and the significance of their presence.
My first patient was a sweet lady named B who was terrified of needles and went pale at the site of blood. I introduced myself and had her sit down in the chair in front of me. She looked at me and asked me if I was going to be drawing her blood. When I told her I was she asked me if I was good. A, my lab partner, looked at her and reassured her that I never miss. This was actually a true statement although the reality is that I have only drawn blood on a handful of real patients.
As I was preparing the materials and locating the vein on her arm, I could sense the fear and anxiety building in her. She even began to shake a little. As I applied the tourniquet to her arm she asked me if it was okay if she prayed. I told her that it was absolutely okay. I think some of her fear rubbed of on me because as I was about to place the needle I also began to pray under my breath, “Please, God don’t let me miss!” I didn’t want to have to stick her twice. With my brow beginning to bead and the holy words coming out of her mouth, I went for the vein.
To my utter relief, the chamber in the butterfly charged with that beautiful red blood indicating that I had indeed hit the target. I reassured her that we were almost done as the blood effortlessly flowed into the vaccutainer tube. As I removed the needle and placed the gauze on her arm I could feel her relief as the tension she was feeling earlier slipped away. We sat there for a moment looking at each other. I couldn’t proceed with processing of the tube for a few minutes because my heart was racing and I finally allowed my hands to shake. She thanked me, blessed me and rose to go.
Since Saturday I have wondered about the role of prayer in medicine. We read about it, think about it and decide whether or not we want religion to be a part of our practice. “Why shouldn’t we?” we are asked since many people are religious to some degree or another. At Bloomer Hill, it is my experience that our patients are incredibly faithful people. They rely on prayer to make it through the day. When their family is sick or they themselves are faced with illness they ask God to work through us to make them well again.
Did God help me draw the blood that day? According to B He did and if it makes her feel safe and protected in my presence then that is okay with me.
Danielle Inman
MS-2, UNC-SOM

Part 3…
10/02/2005
I haven’t written in awhile and I really have no excuse other than I have been really immersing myself into the 2nd year of medical school. More than the first year it is all consuming, but better than the 1st year because I am REALLY enjoying the content so much more. Since I wrote last I have completed 2 blocks; hematology/oncology and cardiovascular and I am happy to say I am doing really well. I also attended a 4-hour training on how to perform the female pelvic exam and sexual history. Friday was the cardio final and Friday night was the annual 70’s party!! I went in roller skates and had a blast. Saturday I laid around all day, guilt free.
Our schedule this year is pretty much the same for each block:
8-12 lecture
12-1 lunch break
1-2 small groups
Wednesdays from 2-5 I have Intro to Clinical Medicine II. I also try to exercise everyday after class before I go home or to the library to study. I will have Respiratory and GI before Thanksgiving, then Renal and then Winter break.
This coming week is my 3rd community week and I am stationed in a small town outside of Greensboro, NC. The location is much close to home (1 hour) than last year (3 hours) and since I have a king size bed and a husband I will likely go home most evenings. Next weekend, David and I are going to spend the weekend in Asheville, NC.
What else have I been doing? Well, I am still working on my research project. There is a PhD in our lab who is helping me with some of the experiments while I am in school which has been really great. I am also the lab coordinator for the Bloomer Hill clinic that I attend once a month. I have set up 3 vitals workshops for the 1st years as the Family Medicine Interest Group student liaison. I am also the president of the OB/GYN interest group.
I have made so many friends in my class over the summer and the past few months of school and I am just having a great time. I am really learning how to become a doctor and it’s such an amazing trip. I will write more than I have been in the coming weeks, I promise.
Danielle Inman
MS-2, UNC-SOM

Happy Halloween ya’ll. Here it is another month gone by…
Today we had the Respiratory Block final. It was definitely hard, but everyone thought the same thing, so I don’t feel so bad. “It’s not how well you do, but how bad everyone else does” a wise test taker once told me. In 2 ½ weeks we covered lung physiology/anatomy, COPD, asthma, lung cancer, interstitial disease, pneumothorax, pulmonary embolism and edema and antibiotics, antivirals, antifungals and asmtha drugs. So 30 lectures and 10 small groups later we are experts on respiratory diseases. HAHAHA. Seriously, that’s the way second year goes. The next block starts tomorrow on the GI system and I wonder what new disease I will diagnose myself with then? I have already had anemia, lymphoma, asthma and sarcoidosis. For most of us the only basis of normal is ourselves and when we start hearing symptoms and complaints we are remotely familiar with we begin to wonder if we ourselves are also afflicted with the disease we are learning about.
Into to Clinical Medicine is much more challenging this year. We are seeing patients and writing them up. When I say writing them up, I mean by the book; a full history and physical with all the negatives and then an assessment and plan with research and scientific data behind the differential diagnosis and clinical epidemiology behind the treatment/test plan. It’s actually really cool when it’s done because I feel kinda doctorly, but it takes FOREVER at this stage in my training. I moan and groan about it now, but I really feel like it’s preparing me for next year on the wards.
Here’s a list of other random things I am involved in, because I just don’t have enough to do:
• I am planning a clothing/gift drive for a local women’s shelter this holiday season.
• I submitted an abstract of my research to the Society of Gynecologic Investigators (SGI) meeting that will be taking place in March in Toronto. If I get accepted I will be presenting there during none other than our GYN/Reproduction block. I thought that was sorta karmic.
• Teaching a Thursday night Lamaze (childbirth) class start 11/3.
My husband’s truck is sputtering slowly to its demise so we are probably going to get another vehicle this week. I was hoping it could hold out until I paid my car off in March, but no such luck. Other than school loans, I would have been technically debt free at that point….sigh. We’ll have to see what kind of deal we can get on a new vs. used.
That’s the news from Chapel Hill.
Danielle Inman
MS2, UNC-SOM