Undergrad scholarships for post-bacc students?

Hi everyone.
I’m a new poster to this site, but I’ve been reading a lot of what’s on here lately and am really pleased to have made my way to such an informative (and inspiring!) website. I’m a post-bacc student facing a dilemma that perhaps some of you may have had to deal with yourselves–if so, I’d be very grateful for any input!
I’m 30, and am currently taking my science pre-reqs at a community college. I’ve done very well in these classes and later this year will be transferring to a 4-yr school to take a few upper level chemistry courses, at which time I’ll pretty much be done with the post-bacc coursework. In the meantime, I am applying for several summer research grants. The programs I’m applying for are designed to give undergraduate students exposure to chemistry and biomedical research. They are ideal for what I’m interested in. My question is, how much of my previous academic experience should I reveal in these applications? I have a BA from a reputable liberal arts college, where I did pretty well as a philosophy major. I’m proud of this part of my background and would love to tell them about it. But will doing so disqualify me for undergraduate grants?
If this information were required, I’d obviously provide it. But the forms for these projects are extremely brief, designed with the average 19-yr old in mind. And obviously I need to USE the space alotted to talk about chemistry. I’ve even called some of the programs and asked what transcripts to send and they’ve said, “only the ones showing your chemistry grades.” The whole application process really gives me little idea whether they’d consider a 2nd-time undergrad suitable for their program.
Since it seems to be up to me to decide how much and what to tell them, I want to make sure that anything I say in my essay works to my advantage. I don’t want to provide info that will disqualify me, NOR do I want to leave them wondering what on earth I’ve been doing the past 10 years. What do you think? Has anyone else out there applied for undergraduate grants their second time through? If so, what was your approach and how did you explain the situation? What responses did you get? Did you notice any distinct prejudices against non-traditional and/or 2nd time students?
Sorry to make this such a long post–but hopefully there are enough of us out there that we can help each other through some discussion. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Dave,
I think it makes the most sense to call the programs and ask if having a previous bachelor's degree disqualifies you. They'll probably ask for transcripts sooner or later, so you might as well find out the rules now before you go to the trouble of applying. Nothing could be worse than applying, getting accepted, then being disqualified at the last minute after your plans are made.
I hope you get encouraging answers, though!

Yeah, that's a good idea. Alas, I already tried it though… It's almost impossible to get an answer from the coordinators of the programs. They just don't seem to know.
I'm seriously not sure the undergrad world is set up to review applications from students who've gone through once before. Not just for summer research programs, but for anything. I've had similar questions about financial aid and scholarships, and not been able to get satisfactory answers.
Thanks though!

Dave,
I know this doesn't answer your grant question, but the post-bacc program I was in had us enroll as 2nd degree seeking students so that we would be eligible for undergraduate tuition rates and financial aid. Another post-bacc program I looked at enrolled students as graduate students. So, I think part of the solution might be how you are enrolled in your school. Just because you have a BA doesn't mean that you have anymore science qualifications than the 19 year old you are competing against. So ethically, I don't think you are doing anything wrong.
Hope this helps,
Tara

QUOTE (2ndave @ Mar 10 2003, 11:04 PM)
...I am applying for several summer research grants. The programs I'm applying for are designed to give undergraduate students exposure to chemistry and biomedical research... My question is, how much of my previous academic experience should I reveal in these applications?

As much as is pertinent to your application.
But will doing so disqualify me for undergraduate grants?

Your previous degree will only disqualify you from grants and scholarships that have very specific requirements (i.e., grants for first time students, scholarships for freshman, etc.). I would *guess* that any program open to undergraduates would also be open to you. Unless specifically stated, assume all opportunities are open to you.
Has anyone else out there applied for undergraduate grants their second time through?

In the lab I used to work in, we had a summer student funded through our lab's NIH grant. This man was an older returning student coming back to undergrad to take his pre-med requirements. He was not a full-time student and he already had a degree. He qualified for this particular grant funding because he was an admitted undergrad.

Welcome to OPM!
-- Rachel