Undergrad Universities reject those who already have a BSc. ???

I have a French high school diploma, US high school diploma, French BSc in Finance, British BSc in Business and Management and a French MSc in Finance and a British MSc in I.T. These degrees were acquired through dual partnership programs in Europe. I am 32, make a decent living in NYC and is willing to go broke for the next 12 years starting from scratch.

My GPA / transcripts from Europe to US is skewed by the European grading systems hence I would have to get a 4 years BSc program in the US, ideally in San Diego because I could get into a volunteering medical research program there.

Upon inquiring at UCSD on how to be admitted to their BSc pre med program, I get rejected because I already have a BSc / MSc abroad.

Have you encounter a similar issue? How to work around it?

UCLA does not accept applications from students seeking second baccalaureate degrees in any area except the Nursing - RN-BS/Postlicensure program.

Although I have friends from the EU, I am not entirely familiar with the differences in degrees and grading systems. I cannot imagine, however, that universities with post-bacc programs have not encountered such students previously, especially in major urban areas. Further, I am surprised at your interest in living in San Diego (other than the incredibly beautiful surroundings), when you already have numerous options available to you in NYC. For example, what about the post-bacc program at Columbia University , an Ivy League school?

You have numerous medical school options in the NYC area, from CUNY to NYU to Columbia Univ as well as schools in nearby NJ, PA, and CT. If if these programs do not list official volunteer medical experience, there are many of these experiences available to anyone, even outside of the official university program.

In briefly perusing a post-bacc program in San Diego, I noticed it seems to be targeted at disadvantaged students. Therefore, applicants with existing degrees would be unlikely to qualify for the program. You will need to read the fine print carefully in any such programs, as some are targeted at specific populations, while others are open to anyone of any background.

In addition, you will need to be absolutely certain that any writing on your application conforms to high standards for appropriate English. At least in PhD programs, improper grammar would be considered a major flag for rejecting the applicant. Moreover, at my job, we require all applicants with foreign degrees to provide verification of US equivalents for foreign credentials of any kind. Here is a link for an association which provides names of appropriate foreign credential verification. In my area, anyone needing such verification would be required to obtain it at their own expense, and before applying to any post-bacc program.

Yes, as I remember, the University of California has a systemwide policy of prohibiting those with a bachelor’s degree from pursing another bachelor’s degree at any one of the campuses. This is to allow the UC campuses to enroll as many as possible those pursing a bachelor’s degree for the first time. I think the same policy applies for the California State University system.

You can try enrolling in premed courses as a non-degree seeking student/extension student, but as an extension student you’ll be dead last in priority and probably won’t get in. Career changers are pretty much mandated to attend community colleges for their coursework or to attend a private college.

Thank you, mojo1313 and ihopetobeado2, for your inputs. University of San Diego is a private institution and enrolls second baccalaureates. Lower divisions courses could be taken at a community college.

Coincidentally, I met a Columbia post-bacc yesterday and she is now a psychiatrist.

• ihopetobeado2 Said:
Yes, as I remember, the University of California has a systemwide policy of prohibiting those with a bachelor's degree from pursing another bachelor's degree at any one of the campuses. This is to allow the UC campuses to enroll as many as possible those pursing a bachelor's degree for the first time. I think the same policy applies for the California State University system.

You can try enrolling in premed courses as a non-degree seeking student/extension student, but as an extension student you'll be dead last in priority and probably won't get in. Career changers are pretty much mandated to attend community colleges for their coursework or to attend a private college.

Interesting. So what happens if you're a CA resident, already have a degree, and need biochem due to some medical schools explicitly requiring it? I've never heard of a CC that offers that course.

During the summer, course registeration is first come first serve for UCs I think.