Update/Acceptance to Paul Foster SOM, Texas

Hello, dear friends!

I haven’t updated you on my journey but a friend from this forum has asked me to do so. I applied last spring to 3 or 4 Texas Med schools, with high GPA, good LOR, foreign MA and sо-so MCAT…I should have retaken considering I took the real thing arrogantly after only 3 practice tests. I thought since I got all As in my pre-reqs I will be fine. Mistake. But after a divorce, application process etc, I was burned out and decided, if I don’t get in this time, I will re-apply again. I did get two interviews and got accepted to both schools. All interviewers commented on my amazing essay and my life journey(well, when you are 30+, it can’t be otherwise, right?) and lasted well beyond the allotted 30 min. My minor is Spanish, so I decided to stay with Texas Tech El Paso. I loved their curriculum (Clinical Presentation Model versus traditional lectures), the cultural experience of living on the border(plus it’s a very diverse school) I am doing a dual MD/MPH degree. For any Texans, you can PM me any questions about the school, the city, admission experience with Texas Tech El Paso etc…I thank you from the depths of my Russian heart for all your amazing support! Back to work, Gala

Oh, and I also applied, missing 1 prerequisite in biological sciences! Only to realize that after the acceptance. So I took two more bio classes(anatomy and micro)in the fall 2012 just for fun of it and then the school requested the proof of those because the were fulfilling the minimum required! How on earth I didn’t notice the glitch?!

Gala

Hi Gala

Congrats. This is wonderful news. My best wishes to you. I, too will be going to a Texas school, so we are neighbors.

Enjoy the ride mate!

Congratulations! I loved living in El Paso.

Congrats!!! I’m moving to Texas this summer. Plan to apply to all the Texas med schools next year.I’m happy you mentioned they accepted micro and a&p for your bio pre-req. I was worried i had to take basic biology courses. As part of my nursing program i took A&P I and II each with Lab, and I took Medical Microbiology with Lab, plus i took a biology class with no lab. I should be all set for my bio pre-requisites.

Congrats again! If you don’t mind sharing what was your Mcat score, sgpa and cgpa?

• redo-it-all Said:
Hi Gala

Congrats. This is wonderful news. My best wishes to you. I, too will be going to a Texas school, so we are neighbors.

Enjoy the ride mate!

I'm applying for a nursing position at UT Southwestern Med Center and plan to apply there for med school. If you don't mind, i would like to reach out to you with questions about the application process.

Msalexis - sure, shoot. PM or here, either way is fine.

Best.

Congratulations Gala. Given that you have a foreign undergraduate degree, did you also take 90 credits in the US through class/CLEP like Redo-it-all?