Urgent Summer Question

OK, well here’s the story. In selecting a post-bacc college I found one that I thought would be very good for what I was interested in. I spoke with a med-school somewhat affiliated (at least in the same university system) regarding the quality of the program and they said it would be fine but didn’t really give too many specifics. In the process of everything else in life I kind of took that to be a sign that all would be o.k. Now that I have had time, I have been able to do a lot more searching regarding the program and have found, deep in the recesses of the web, several resources which suggest the quality of education is very low. Also, after finally being able to register for summer classes, I found they didn’t offer Chem I and/or II during the summer so that will put me back a year from my intended goal. So to make this long story a little shorter, here’s my question:
Are there any good or even decent post-bacc programs that begin this summer that are still accepting students?
If not, I will need to make do with what I have put myself into. But, as I have said, I am very concerned. Nothing like a last minute change–I know that’s not a good situation either. On the upside, change is easy for me! But I have been working through the process and decision making for a couple of years, and because of my age, situation, etc. I want to begin this summer.
I appreciate any help anyone can offer. To stay sane I’ll have to put this one up as a growth experience.
Thanks and I hope everyone’s semester is wrapping up well.
Larry

Are you looking for a formal program that has certain classes you need to take, or are you looking for flexiablity to be able to take the classes you need and want?
You can register just about anywhere as a non-degree seeking student or an extended studies student if you already have a degree and only want to take classes. You can then sign up for any classes they offer ususally undergrad and grad classes.

Where are you? I mean geoghraphically. I know you can register at Georgetown.

Alyson asks a great question - where are you? Is there anywhere that you are limited in terms of where you can be? There are lots of post-bacc programs around this country and many may still have slots open for the summer. However, I think you would have to call them directly and see if you can apply past the deadline assuming a deadline has passed. People are really willing to work with you if you just call them and explain your situation.
Finally, it’s true what AmyB says about just taking the classes a-la-carte in any university/community college outside of a formal post-bacc program. I thought of this too, but after looking at the course schedules I concluded that while these informal studies can be very convenient and flexible for some who, for example, want to take classes at night or just a one or a couple sciences classes - it can be very inconvenient and inflexible for someone like you. If I had taken my classes at the local university, I too could only take Chemistry I this summer - no Chemistry II, no Biology I, etc. The course offerings can be quite inflexible and sparse for someone like you and me bc it is not geared towards someone who is interested in an intensive year of sciences. You really can only pick one here and another there and that could really drag out your studies…if you’re trying to study full=time for one year. Sure, you can take other sciences or non-science classes that might interest you, like biochemistry, math, etc. to fill-up your class schedule, but if you’ve already received your first bachelor’s degree and really just want to take the pre-requisites. It may be very tricky. I would suggest to you to look into the option of your local university…and look at their Summer, Fall schedule to try to get an idea of what your options will be like. It may not be much better than your post-bacc, in which you might decide to save the money, slow down your studies, and do it at the local university. Or you might decided to take chemistry this summer at the local university or community college, and then starting up with the intensive classes in your post-bacc in the Fall.

Thank you for the quick replies. This group is amazing! I am currently in Minnesota, but have closed up everything in anticipation of relocating, so relocating isn’t really an issue. I like the idea of a “formal” post-bacc because I know that classes are offered throughout the summer and that sequences can be followed from summer through the rest of the year. I’ve checked most of the post-bacc programs listed in the resource sites and the ones I’ve found all have application processes which seem to take quite awhile (application, letters of recommendation, some with interviews, etc.)
The stress is good practice for med school right!!!
Thanks again for the replies.
Larry

Here at UW-Milwaukee, you can take everything except biology in the summer. Prereqs are offered year round and you can start the chemistry and physics sequences summer, fall, and winter. AND with most sequences in chemistry, you get the same instructor for both sequences (i.e, if you start Gen Chem 1 in spring, that same instructor teaches part 2 in summer and fall, etc.)
Courses are pretty good about not overlapping and it is theoretically possible to take ochem adn gen chem at the same time (one of the students in my ochem class is doing it). So it’s not a formal postbacc, but you still have flexible scheduling choices. Wisconsin and Minnesota have reciprocity, I think, if you’re just dying to come out here and go to school with me.

Update: I may be able to take some coursework at one university in the summer for chem I/II and calculus and then move over to a post-bacc program in the fall. This will put me in better shape for classes as I will be able to take the MCAT in April rather than August. Here’s a new question:

Is there any disadvantage when applying to med schools to taking some of the prerequisites at one university and finishing up the majority at another university?

As always, thanks for the responses!

Larry

Quote:

Update: I may be able to take some coursework at one university in the summer for chem I/II and calculus and then move over to a post-bacc program in the fall. This will put me in better shape for classes as I will be able to take the MCAT in April rather than August. Here’s a new question:
Is there any disadvantage when applying to med schools to taking some of the prerequisites at one university and finishing up the majority at another university?
As always, thanks for the responses!
Larry

As far as I know it does’nt matter where you take your courses as long as the other program accepts them and Med schools seem to prefer University level courses vs Community
College courses. Hopes this helps.
Bill

I absolutely don’t think so. I can’t imagine why a medical school would want you to complete all your courses in one university. I could imagine that you completed one course at each unversity adding up to 8+ universities, the medical school might scratch their collective heads and wonder why, simply bc that is rather odd. But completing your studies in 2 or even 3 universities are not viewed negatively.
P.S. There is something of controversy regarding whether grades at a local university carry more weight than those of community colleges courses. I personally don’t have any opinion on that…but just thought I should mention it.

Larry,
I had four undergraduate schools listed on my application- one CC, a university I attended for one year, the four year school I graduated from and my post-bacc. It was never a question, much less an issue, at any of my interviews. I wouldn’t worry about it. Adcoms understand that when you are non-traditional that you will have to do things in a non-standard way to get the mission done.
Good luck,
Tara

Larry -
I don’t think that a post-bacc program is really necessary. According to an assistant dean of admissions that I talked to at one medical school, they don’t really care what your degree is in, as long as you have one, and you have completed the pre-reqs at a four year college (not a community college).
At my local branch of OSU, I have been able to take Biology, Physics, Gen Chem, and Math simultaneously as a non-degree Continuing Education student. I am taking OChem in an intensive summer program, and will finish out Physics in the fall along with a couple of other courses to fill out a full time load. If you can get Gen Chem out of the way this summer, you could theoretically complete all of the prereqs for the MCAT by next April.
The advantage to having a degree - all you need are the science pre-reqs. The disadvantage - all you need are the pre-reqs.
I never looked into a post-bacc, so I don’t know how the intensity compares to what I’m doing, but I know this has been the toughest two quarters I have ever taken.
At OSU - the application as a Continuing Ed student was cake - $30 and a very simple application. I was admitted the same day as I applied. Never had to submit a transcript or anything else. Also, as a Continuing Ed student, I have registration priority, registering only after graduating seniors and honors students.
Good Luck!!
Amy