USMLE

Okay, I am getting a little worried here. It seems that as I study from first aid along with BRS/etc…I get it, learn it, memorize most of it…but then come three days after when I am on another subject it is extremely hard for me to remember what I did X days ago? is this normal? and how will this affect my ability to pass? I am really scared now. I do have QBank and seemed to be stuck on getting 50% (I just started reviewing not long ago for this is my sixth day studying) and this also worries me…any recent test takers care to comment? thanks.

When are you taking the test? I can only say what worked for me, and that was doing every single Q-bank question out there, and then doing them again if I got them wrong (they have the option to do new questions or questions you’ve done but gotten wrong…I always chose to combine them so that by the time I finished Q-bank, I’d answered every single question right at least once). I learned more from reading the explanations of why this answer was right and these answers were wrong than I did by reading books. I finally gave up on the books and just did Q-bank and flash cards and I did fine on the test. Anyway, that’s what worked for me. Good luck!
Jane

I take it on June 2nd…so still have some time…but what freaks me out is the inability to retain the information…I do have Qbank and plan on doing most of the questions. So much rides on this exam…

Quote:

Okay, I am getting a little worried here. It seems that as I study from first aid along with BRS/etc…I get it, learn it, memorize most of it…but then come three days after when I am on another subject it is extremely hard for me to remember what I did X days ago? is this normal? and how will this affect my ability to pass? I am really scared now. I do have QBank and seemed to be stuck on getting 50% (I just started reviewing not long ago for this is my sixth day studying) and this also worries me…any recent test takers care to comment? thanks.

Hi there,
First of all, relax and take a deep breath. Second, do not stress about memorization. Go for understanding of concepts. Third, if you can get a copy of Step Up for USMLE Step I, you will get what I mean by conceptual learning more than just rote memorization.
Third, once you are sitting in front of the USMLE computer you will realize that Q-Bank is pickier than the actual test. There are some things on the actual test that you are going answer right off the bat and others that will hit you after you read the question and then read the answers.
I used Q-Bank in this manner. I did the random thing and posted 50 questions at a time. I answered the questions just like on the real test. When I was done, I reviewed the questions that I missed making a note of why I missed them and the subject matter.
Once I got to a total of 50 missed questions, I would use those questions as a 50-question block. If I missed them again, I would review that subject matter and check off what I had reviewed.
I also reviewed things that I though I needed extra time on like pharmokinetics and pharmodynamics. I narrowed it down to five formulas that I needed to memorize long enough to write them down on the scratch board and then forget them until I needed them on the test.
I had three weeks to review for Step I. I used Q-Bank because Step Up was not available when I took Step I. My review strategy worked very well for me.
Also, since you have just started your review, make a timed schedule and stick with it. Cross things off and resist the urge to go back over things that you have already reviewed. Take frequent breaks so that your mind is always refreshed. If something needs extra time, put in enough time to give it that extra punch say make Saturday mornings for things that need extra review.
Above all, do not get stressed about your review. USMLE is not a trick exam. It is very focused on subject matter in which you have been given a great foundation. You will be able to figure things out more on Step I than on the MCAT.
Wean yourself off the actual percentage number on Q-Bank and look for progression. Above all, do random blocks as opposed to subject by subject. Don’t beat up on yourself if it takes you a bit to get the hang of this kind of review. You will be fine.
Another thing, close your ears to people who boast about how high their Q-Bank scores are. The USMLE score is the one that counts. I distinctly remember one of my classmates boasting about how high their scores were only to find that they had done far worse than I on USMLE.
It’s stressful but I know you are going to be OK. Take your time and systematically prepare.
Good luck!
Natalie

Thanks Dr. Belle! anyone else?

#1 - Kaplan Q-bank
#2 - Step Up to the Boards
#3 - Buzzwords for Boards - only use this a few days prior to the exam. It is low-yield for actual learning, but sometimes when you are ‘stumped’ one of those buzzwords will creep into your guord & give you an easy guess/answer.

Dr. Belle thanks great post, I study close to that now, take mock tests and review subjects I get wrong. The ones I get right right away I think okay I get it and work on the wrong stuff, then an overall review ect…
I plan to study first aid this semester but no before the boards, just use it to “Exercise” my brain. Also I have all the BRS’s and a set of Kaplan books but I will use the Brs’s for now and First aid for my second semester.
I really think your advice is solid!

I am taking on June 2 as well! Doing about the same on Qbank, too.

My study partner and I set ourselves a schedule of topics to review and we follow that religiously; also do questions every day. I like to keep track of how many I guessed and got right/wrong, how many I thought through and got right/wrong, how many I was sure of etc. on each 50Q block. What I’ve seen over the last few weeks is that I am getting more questions right by reasoning than guessing, which is great; when I started, it was all guessing. Also, there are more questions that I feel sure about. This is helping to build confidence, where my scores alone are not!

p.s. I’m avoiding my other classmates; people are super-anxious and it’s not helpful to be around them!

For some of you, if Kaplan Qbank ain’t working, try Student Consult’s Qbank. I have found it much better, more relevant to the topics tested and much more like the real thing.
Kaplan had a bunch of picky thinks on it when I did this the first go round and actually made me fairly mad. Consult is much closer to the real thing.
DO not forget to take the NBME exams as well in preparation. You will find some questions on it that are on the actual exam now.
Good luck