UTD Post-Bacc

I was exploring UTD (TX) certificate in Bio medical sciences a post- BAcc. I read its competitive to get in. Just wanted to find out if there is any here who know more about this program or who are in the program on how challenging itis to get in? I have a 3.6GPA in a nursing program finishing DEc, 11.

second do you think it would be possible to do this program and come out with good grades while working FR, Sat sun 12 hr shifts?

I am just trying to think a year ahead of me and look at some possibilities.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

• chiongo Said:
I was exploring UTD (TX) certificate in Bio medical sciences a post- BAcc. I read its competitive to get in. Just wanted to find out if there is any here who know more about this program or who are in the program on how challenging it is to get in? I have a 3.6GPA in a nursing program finishing DEc, 11.

second do you think it would be possible to do this program and come out with good grades while working FR, Sat sun 12 hr shifts?

I am just trying to think a year ahead of me and look at some possibilities.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Honestly, I don't think it's very competitive to get in. My undergrad GPA is below 3.0 (from 10 years ago) and I was still able to get in the program to start this Fall. The application process at UT Dallas is simple: submit your primary and supplemental applications as early as as possible (by February) and you'll hear the decision in early May. No letters of recommendation are required. Every year they accept around 40-60 Post Bacc candidates to the program. Some do a 2-year full program, like me, to knock out Pre-Med prereqs, while others do a year of upper-level Bio classes to make themselves more competitive before re-applying.

I personally think it's a great program for repairing GPA for Non-trad students like us. The school is well known, their classes are challenging and looked favorably upon by Adcoms, especially in TX Med Schools.

As far as working full- or part-time while going to UTD, only you can answer that. It really depends on your course load, your motivation to get all "A"s, your family commitments, etc. For example, I'm married and have a small child. I am taking Orgo I, Gen. Chem I, Bio I, Physics I in the Fall. All of those classes have lab component too so it's a heavy science load for me, but I'm committed to knock my Pre-reqs in 1-year. Your mileage may vary.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or post it here.

If I were you, I’d set up a school schedule that could better facilitate making all A’s or close to it.

IMHO, taking 4 science courses with labs isn’t that kind of schedule.

@PTWOB02

I really appreciate for taking your time to respond to me. Its very encouraging. I will just do exactly that apply early and get into the program fall, 2012. I just don’t know how to pm I have several small questions like cost of UTD post bac, any financial resources available in the form of scholarship? I expect the answer to be No but just checking. Keep me posted when you start on how it is going with you, I mean instructors etc. I will definately attend UTD coz thats the nearest apart from Austin college which seem to be very expensive. There is also a community college nearby $47 per credit but they don’t offer all classes I need eg org chem.

For sure when I start that will be my goal, to take classes that work with my schedule and come out with A’s. Thanks for the advice.

Hi PTWOB02,

My undergrade outside USA and MS is here in USA. I want to start prereqs soon. I would like to apply UTD premed.

I really like med schools in Texas due to low tuition. Do I need to complete all 90 undergrade credits or prereqs will be enough? Note that I have MS in USA. Can MS courses + prereqs make up required 90 credits?

Thanks in advance…

• 39CanI Said:
I really like med schools in Texas due to low tuition. Do I need to complete all 90 undergrade credits or prereqs will be enough? Note that I have MS in USA. Can MS courses + prereqs make up required 90 credits?

See Gonnif's reply in the other thread. The answer is mostly likely 'no'. You can always call the schools and ask them, but I would be prepared for them to quote the 90 credit hour rule.